Best Time to Train

A jogger told me yesterday that when she runs early morning she sees plenty of cyclists out on the roads, whereas when I go for my afternoon ride/commute I only see one or two. Do most people cycle early morning? Is it better to train at certain times of the day rather than other times? I would go in the mornings but I can't get out of bed until about 7:30, though if it's better to train early morning I'll make the effort.

What time do you guys normally train at, and for how long (week-days)?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, like you, battle to get out of bed at 04h00 to go training. I think the only reason guys train early morning is because there is less traffic and hence safer.

I generally train in the afternoon. During the week it is on a trainer or gym spinning. Weekends are reserved for the road. I have had too many near misses in afternoon traffic.

Yup most people are on the road by 5 o'clock... It is a bit shitty in the beginning but you'll get use to it. Just make sure you get a group to ride in if its still dark. Just makes it safer.

I heard from a docter that it is better to train early morning because your hormones are all jumpy and in tact so you don't have any of your energy already drained... But as true that is I'm not sure.

Most people go out at 5 because they still have to go to work

During the week start at 4.10am, weekends say 5.30am

Allows for 2h15 ride during the week and longer weekends.

Also helps with sleeping!

The biggest factors for me - safety, no traffic, not intefering with family life - young kids etc.

During winter is harder - we must have looked like gorillas in the mist this am, but v good lights.

Also allows one to train on empty tummy and burn fat... but only try when you used to it.

C U on the road early.

Summer its nice and easy.... wake up 4am do 1 and half to 2 hours, then off to work.

I am STRUGGLING this time of the year though. Motivation is the key issue I suppose. Best time to train would be the mornings, less traffic and all and it gets your heart beating nce and early, so good for the fitness levels. I heard this once, not quite sure how true it is but..... Training in the mornings makes you fitter, in the evenings makes you stronger. Something about the heart and fatigue... As I said, not quite sure.

Just find that I cant fit more than an hour in during the week, that is waking up at 5am (bit more bearable) 3 days a week. Weekends, I tend to get out a bit later as well..... close to 7am and get in 2 - 3 hours a day.... Trying to make up for the missed week day rides :blush:

does everyone eat in the mornings before starting out? and what? also what length of rides are you doing?

Once you used to it, ride on empty tummy and just water. Ride duration approx 2 hours and then eat straight away.

Weekends - take something with and keep fuelled - duration 3 - 3.30hours. Drink a combination of energy drink (electrolyte replacement) and water.

Eat afterwards.

Summer is easy....for all the reasons the Jedi stated :lol:

I just find it easier to go for rides in the arvo during winter. I don't like riding in the dark, even with lights. It seems to be easier for me to end a ride in the dark than to start it in the dark. I also sleep better when I ride in the afternoon

As for eating, I never eat just before a ride....I would rather wait an hour or so after eating otherwise I get weird, edging towards nausea....

I have ordered "The Time Crunched Cyclist", as I am planning to cut back to 1 hr a day for safety reasons :thumbup: My training route is between Jbay an Humansdorp, so fast cars and no lamposts makes it rather silly to ride in the dark. Thankfully there are enough long hills in Jbay (3-4%), and few short sharp ones (9-12%), so I am hoping the book will help me use them more effectively :thumbup:

Mornings are more predictable, meaning that nothing happens 5 o clock in the morning that can stop you from training if you have the self discipline to lift ze bum.

In the afternoons however, a buddy can call you for a beer or you want to watch a movie with the girl etc. then you generally end up missing your session one in every 4 days or so.

For me, I'm a afternoon guy, not so much because of stuggling to get up early, I just dont live the type of lifestyle that allows me to get into bed at 8:30 PM every night, which I assume is needed for 4 AM starts.

Ja, you early starters, what time do you get to bed?

Does that allow for a glass or two of whatever the night before?

I get weird, edging towards nausea....

I sometimes get that, but usually only when I get the dose wrong.

Every morning up at 4, out by 5 till 6:30. Motorists are less agro and there are cars. Works well!!

Ja, you early starters, what time do you get to bed?

Does that allow for a glass or two of whatever the night before?

Look, it's not by choice, but training at 4am means by 8:30-9pm, it's lights out. For me anyway. And I have a glass or two of red with supper most nights.

A jogger told me ...

That is your problem right there, rather listen to cyclists!

There are numerous studies on when the best time to train really is. I took part in one such study a year ago and they were trying to prove that the best time for you to train will depend on your own DNA structure.

Some people reap more benefits by training in the mornings and others by training in the afternoons.

I cant remember the whole scientific spheel that followed this but it was quite interesting.

They told me I was fit enough and can train whenever I feel like it ;)

Sometimes it is just easier to train in the mornings, especially during summer. Get it over and done with early since it is light enough and then you still have the rest of the day open to keep the missus happy. During winter, I am tiered of getting up at 4am to go to races and prefer sleeping in. On weekends I'll will still train in the mornings but on weekdays during winter I prefer afternoon training and even night riding!

Keep in mind that all our racing happens in the mornings and if you train only in the afternoons, your body will not be used to the conditions you are going to be throwing at it so early in the morning.

It's easiest for most working people to train in the morning before work but if you are doing power training ie Hills or gym then your testosterone levels are highest between 3-5 pm.

I like riding early when the roads are quiet.

Once you used to it, ride on empty tummy and just water. Ride duration approx 2 hours and then eat straight away.

Weekends - take something with and keep fuelled - duration 3 - 3.30hours. Drink a combination of energy drink (electrolyte replacement) and water.

Eat afterwards.

That is just nuts! If you are going to be training for more than an hour, eat something beforehand. Unless you weigh 120kg, you have enough reserves to go by and your aim is to loose weight. Not sure that it is the healthiest way to do it but anyway.

The last time you refueled your body was more than 10 hours ago before you had dinner the previous night. You sugar levels dropped and now you want to go do a two hour ride with nothing in you stomach, nuts!

There is a reason why you should not get "used to it". It is you body's natural way of telling you ... "feeeeeed me, I need energy!" I can not even cycle around the block without having breakfast.

Perhaps some nutritionist can shed some light here