Pre-race drink ?

PYGA1

I have read a few articles on stage races such as Joberg2C and The Epic and noticed that you should have a pre-race drink for breakfast. What is a pre-race drink ? I'm assuming a high carb shake from Evox or USN etc.

Could be that but I think for such long events one would rather have a proper brekkie of oats or the like and then have a serving of whatever carb drink you like, just to be hydrated and top up glycogen stores ?

What say those that have done the events ?

. What is a pre-race drink ?

http://www.corrieblog.tv/11183820_9d07cb81b4.jpg

Definitely won't skip breakfast, even with a shake or drink, I eat like a horse before a ride.

I reckon that on any stage race to rely on a drink before breakfast is daft. Hydration should be a continuous process so why the drink before breakfast? Have a good meal and a drink! You need the fluids and the fuel...

I often drink a glass of energy drink before heading out on a race / stage race after a good breakfast. Reason being, that it increases my energy levels for the first few km's, as the energy from the oats only kicks in a little while later when your body has digested it.

I also seem to be better hydrated as I start off, not having to to drink much in the first hour, so my water bottles also last a little longer.

I know the nutrition police will kill me for saying this, but I use stock standard "game". I think its the best stuff since sliced bread, and its by far the cheapest energy drink that money can buy if you buy it in the 720g packs.

32gi, at least 300 ml.

As well as oats.

I was doing the same, but I found I was feeling flat for the first 30 mins or more of the ride, do you find the same?

word of advice NEVER take in a high GI drink before a race, it will just spike you and drop you before u get anywhere. You want to fuel with a low GI meal in the morning, and a low GI energy drink or fuel before the race. Remember to keep hydration and energy requirements seperate as too much liquid might leave u feeling a little uncomfortable for your liking. Not being biased, but 32Gi is an excellent pre-load to a race, due to its not spiking slow release properties. Just keep water to a minimum especially if u suffer from a weak bladder :-)

word of advice NEVER take in a high GI drink before a race, it will just spike you and drop you before u get anywhere. You want to fuel with a low GI meal in the morning, and a low GI energy drink or fuel before the race. Remember to keep hydration and energy requirements seperate as too much liquid might leave u feeling a little uncomfortable for your liking. Not being biased, but 32Gi is an excellent pre-load to a race, due to its not spiking slow release properties. Just keep water to a minimum especially if u suffer from a weak bladder :-)

could my problem with feeling flat be that I am not timing me pre-race bottle right?

I was doing the same, but I found I was feeling flat for the first 30 mins or more of the ride, do you find the same?

This is pretty common. There is a thread about it :thumbup:

This is pretty common. There is a thread about it :thumbup:

oh cool, ill stop being lazy and use the search function!

sorry for the hijack!

oh cool, ill stop being lazy and use the search function!

sorry for the hijack!

It used to happen to me as well, my mates went balls to wall from the beginning, and I couldn't keep up, then after half an hr or so I was at the same level and could ride for longer. Its a strange phenomenon. Just learnt to rather go at my own pace in the beginning of a training ride.