Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• Hairy

• gummibear

• Eddy Gordo

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest agteros
http://www.thephotoargus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/action_shots2.jpg

If you guys wait until tomorrow morning for page 200, I have a great joke to post :D - just that it is on my work email :thumbdown:

No joke is worth getting fired for :rolleyes:

Guest agteros

http://www.thephotoargus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/action_shots16.jpg

http://www.thephotoargus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/action_shots19.jpg

Oddly, I used to work in this industry :D

Hot aisle/cold aisle is a layout design for server racks and other computing equipment in a data center. The goal of a hot aisle/cold aisle configuration is to conserve energy and lower cooling costs by managing air flow.

In its simplest form, hot aisle/cold aisle data center design involves lining up server racks in alternating rows with cold air intakes facing one way and hot air exhausts facing the other. The rows composed of rack fronts are called cold aisles. Typically, cold aisles face air conditioner output ducts. The rows the heated exhausts pour into are called hot aisles. Typically, hot aisles face air conditioner return ducts.

A containment system can be used to isolate hot aisles and cold aisles from each other and prevent hot and cold air from mixing. Containment systems started out as physical barriers that simply separated the hot and cold aisles with vinyl plastic sheeting or Plexiglas covers. Today, vendors offer plenums and other commercial options that combine containment with variable fan drives (VFDs) to prevent cold air and hot air from mixing.

Best practices for hot aisle/cold aisle containment include:

1. Raising the floor 1.5 feet so that air being pushed by air conditioning equipment can pass through.

2. Deploying high cubic feet per minute (CFM) rack grills that have outputs in the range of 600 CFM.

3. Locating devices with side or top exhausts in their own part of the datacenter.

4. Installing automatic doors in the data center.

A 64-bit processor is a microprocessor with a word size of 64 bits, a requirement for memory and data intensive applications such as computer-aided design (CAD) applications, database management systems, technical and scientific applications, and high-performance servers. 64-bit computer architecture provides higher performance than 32-bit architecture by handling twice as many bits of information in the same clock cycle.

The 64-bit processor is backwards compatible with older applications and operating systems; it detects whether an application or operating system is 16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit and computes accordingly. This is essential for enterprise situations where purchasing new software is not feasible.

Intel, IBM, Sun Microsystems, Hewlett Packard, and AMD currently develop or offer 64-bit processors.

In information technology, high availability refers to a system or component that is continuously operational for a desirably long length of time. Availability can be measured relative to "100% operational" or "never failing." A widely-held but difficult-to-achieve standard of availability for a system or product is known as "five 9s" (99.999 percent) availability.

Since a computer system or a network consists of many parts in which all parts usually need to be present in order for the whole to be operational, much planning for high availability centers around backup and failover processing and data storage and access. For storage, a redundant array of independent disks (RAID) is one approach. A more recent approach is the storage area network (SAN).

Some availability experts emphasize that, for any system to be highly available, the parts of a system should be well-designed and thoroughly tested before they are used. For example, a new application program that has not been thoroughly tested is likely to become a frequent point-of-breakdown in a production system.