Two cyclists knocked down on Wierda road by Porsche

quinton

Very sad to read this; RIP Piet.

What Christie says is absolutely correct. SA is a lawless society, by and large. There is no external locus of control; everyone gets to decide what the law means to them as an individual. That is not how it works in civilised places; the law applies evenly and is not determined by the individual in the moment. This is not the fault of the individual, but that of the society in which the individual finds him- or herself.

Condolences to the family, friends and loved ones.

However this should not be a premise for an argument on lawlessness in SA society. There have been several cycling fatalities in NZ during the past 12 months - enough for a commission of enquiry to be ordered.

I would venture that as a society is a collective of individuals then individuals need to be accountable for the integrity of that society...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bollocks. You can have integrity as a human bean in any society.

Indeed you can. But the point is that in SA there is no baseline enforced by the law. Your integrity may be similar to mine, but it's likely to differ in some respects. That of the Porsche driver, also different. That of the oke who does your garden, different. That of the oke who does the smash and grabs, also different. You need some normative influence, which is why even the most well-behaved societies have law enforcement.

Condolences to the family, friends and loved ones.

However this should not be a premise for an argument on lawlessness in SA society. There have been several cycling fatalities in NZ during the past 12 months - enough for a commission of enquiry to be ordered.

I would venture that as a society is a collective of individuals then individuals need to be accountable for the integrity of that society...

Agree, to some extent. How is that going, then, in SA? Do people, by and large, break the law habitually, or not? What's that LeadSA campaign all about, again? That people need a pat on the shoulder and a spot on the radio just for doing what should be considered normal...hmmmm I dunno.

For anyone who knew Piet van der Westhuizen: A funeral service will be held on Friday the 6th of May 2011, at the NG Kerk Skuilkrans starting at 15:00 (3pm). The church is located on the corner of Jan Alberts Ave & Cussonia Ave, Val de Grace, Pretoria. Rest in peace Piet.

Edited by Aonyx

Rest in piece Piet and condolences to the family.

Apart from cycling, I also do the daily commute on a motorcycle between Pta and Jhb. I get to see the reports of fallen motorcyclists on the ThinkBike forum too. Its dangerous out there, whether due to wreckless driving or ignorance by taxis, 4x4's, trucks or cars - its even more dangerous when we are guilty ones. Be careful, always be on alert and stay safe!