Cycle"sure"- nothing sure about them!!

bluco

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The definition of forcible entry: The taking of or entry onto property using unlawful or illegal force, or any entry done without consent of occupier or owner.

(http://law.yourdicti...ible-entry-abbv)

If that is in your policy, then they are correct. It's the same for the difference between housebreaking and

theft. One has forcible entry, the other not. It's a bummer...

Im with Cyclesure, anyone else have problems? My bikes are locked in the house but not to anything, what happens if they steal them. will I not be paid out.

Has anyone else had issues with Cyclesure, and should I think about changing insurers?

I'm also with Cycle sure (only recently changed), are these serious issues or a once off thing?

Happy payouts occurring???

Im with Cyclesure, anyone else have problems? My bikes are locked in the house but not to anything, what happens if they steal them. will I not be paid out.

Has anyone else had issues with Cyclesure, and should I think about changing insurers?

All insurers have clauses and exemptions, you just have to read the fine print carefully and understand what they expect of you.

Unfortunately few of us do, and then we are quick to "cry foul" when the insurer falls back on his right to refuse renumeration as the insured did not comply to the contractual requirements.

Just having an insurance contract is not sufficient, you need to read and understand what is required and ensure you comply.

If you leave your front door open they need to be locked to an immovable object. If your door or window is forced open then they will pay. Same applies to bikes in your garage, if the garage is left unlocked they need to be secured.

Edited by chris_w_65

The definition of housebreaking, as it was drilled into me many years ago as a student constable, was:

"The unlawful and intentional removal of an obstruction to gain entry into a premises that is suitable for human occupation, and entering that premises with the intent of committing a criminal offence."

The definition does not make mention that the obstruction has to be locked, barricaded, guarded by passive or active devices, or anything of the kind.

Even a tent flap that is zipped up is considered an obstruction to a premises that is suitable for human occupation.

Rolling up a garage door, opening an unlocked door, or pushing a curtain out of the way to gain entry via a window, is still removing an obstruction to the premises.

The definition has not changed, but it seems that the interpretation of it has.

We were also with Cyclesure, and changed over to Outsurance when they did not want to pay out for damage to the rear derrailleur, hanger and cassette when the bike met a rock hidden in grass.

snip snip snip

We were also with Cyclesure, and changed over to Outsurance when they did not want to pay out for damage to the rear derrailleur, hanger and cassette when the bike met a rock hidden in grass.

They told me would be covered against any damage other than wear and tear. This is good to know, might need to phone them today and check this again :thumbdown:

Edited by rouxtjie

The definition of housebreaking, as it was drilled into me many years ago as a student constable, was:

"The unlawful and intentional removal of an obstruction to gain entry into a premises that is suitable for human occupation, and entering that premises with the intent of committing a criminal offence."

The definition does not make mention that the obstruction has to be locked, barricaded, guarded by passive or active devices, or anything of the kind.

Even a tent flap that is zipped up is considered an obstruction to a premises that is suitable for human occupation.

Rolling up a garage door, opening an unlocked door, or pushing a curtain out of the way to gain entry via a window, is still removing an obstruction to the premises.

The definition has not changed, but it seems that the interpretation of it has.

I think the issue here is not one of housebraking but "forced entry"

If I leave my laptop in my car and it is stolen without forced entry then there is a higher excess - sounds fair to me

They told me would be covered against any damage other than wear and tear. This is good to know, might need to phone them today and check this again :thumbdown:

If you can give us the details of what they said to you, I will ring my broker(Liz O Brokers) and see what she says about Cyclesure coverage. As far as I was told, I am covered if they break into my house, and anything else except wear & tear.

If you can give us the details of what they said to you, I will ring my broker(Liz O Brokers) and see what she says about Cyclesure coverage. As far as I was told, I am covered if they break into my house, and anything else except wear & tear.

I asked specifically if they would replace my wheelset should I total them in race. They assured me I would and that they would cover all damage unless its from wear and tear. From the above statements it seems not. If this is indeed the case I am stopping my cover right now which is close to 460 zar a month

I've had two claims with Outsurance, three days, cash in my account. I buckled my rear Crossmax, Dragons never had stock, so Outsurance paid out for a new wheelset, R7500 no questions, they did not even want to collect the damaged wheel. Excess with Outsurance alone swings the deal R320 regardless of the claim amount. Cyclesure's excess is excessive, min amount with a percentage.

I think the issue here is not one of housebraking but "forced entry"

If I leave my laptop in my car and it is stolen without forced entry then there is a higher excess - sounds fair to me

The term "forced entry" is not a legal term in the sense that you can be convicted for it.

It is simply an indicator of aggression, as it can refer to a door being kicked in, a window being smashed, or fence wires being cut.

If nothing is stolen in a housebreaking, the charge would be Housebreaking and Trespassing or Housebreaking with the intent to commit a crime, while if something is stolen the charge is Housebreaking and Theft.

I am not extolling the virtues of Outsurance at all, as I am currently obtaining quotes from other insurers, as my premiums have skyrocketed, even though we have been with outsurance for close on 10 years for vehicle and household insurance.

Any insurer will have both good and bad publicity.

Use tools like "Hello Peter" to determine if you want to join, continue with, or change insurers, buy a car, or change banks....

I have see many rejected claims by Outsurance, one personal and one falmily and many in my line of work. I will never use outsurance nor reccomend them.

This is the second valid claim I have seen Cycle sure reject...

The only thing that is "Sure" is that they will take your premiums.

I have reccomended INDWE risk and have had nothing but supreme service from them in all my dealings as well as to all I recommended using them for insurance as well.

call Shumonay 021 974 5200

BTW: My bike is covered for R50,000 @ R320 pm with R320 excess.

Standalone or add-on to a household policy? I had the latter on a bike as all-risk, and found that any theft or damage would be covered including during travel to and from an event, but not riding an event.