Lightweight 29er tyres

AndreZA

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

500g for a 29er tyre is light, but they do not mention tubeless compatibility, but they do mention 'pinch', so I take it they have tubes fitted. I was seeking high and low for a lightweight 29er tubeless tyre when I built my Stumpjumper, and as the S-Works Renegades are not yet available in SA, I fitted the Specialized Fast Trak LK (low knob) 2Bliss tyre at 595g each. Will probably never fit any other tyre on my bike, cause they are light, tubeless, fast and grippy.

It is worthy to mention that the Schwalbe Racing Ralph was the closest competitor in this department, but the others were all in the region of 750g even up to 800g.

How is the sidewall on the Specialized Fast Trak LK 29er tires? I had the 26" version fitted and their sidewalls were paper thin. After the 3rd cut sidewall in so many weeks I replaced them with Crossmarks.

Edited by philip.maree

I have ridden the Fastraks for a full year and only cut one on the epic. since then nothing.

Renegades will be available in SA from the end of this week, maybe on shelves next week in time for Sani. 29.1.95's they will be Light!

also coming in are Fastraks and Captain controls.

The Specialized Fast Track and Renegade tyres are amazing...! Another light 29er tyre is the Stans no Tubes, Ravens - light and very durable from my own experience!! I am running the Renegade on my bike and have done any terrain thinkable - just love them.... just hope Specialized get their act together soon with stock etc....

Mapara - those tyres are featured on the back of the Ride mag along with others like the Maxxis Ikon and Aspen, also light tyres for 29" and 26".

Think an Ikon on the back and Aspen on the front would be a good combo.

The Ikon will also be available in the Exxo version ie. sidewall cut resistance.

Tweeted Brandon from Probike the other day and unfortunately they are only coming to SA in August in limited amounts and prices are going up or something as well.

I have ridden the Fastraks for a full year and only cut one on the epic. since then nothing.

Renegades will be available in SA from the end of this week, maybe on shelves next week in time for Sani. 29.1.95's they will be Light!

also coming in are Fastraks and Captain controls.

Neville, do you perhaps know if SA is getting the S-Works SLK version of the Fast Trak 29er. Saw on the Spez USA website that they weigh 495g apposed to 595g for the normal ones. Shedding 200g will drop my bike below the 9.5kg threshold. I've got Renegades on my 96 Team, but prefer the Fast Traks, although both are awesome.

Mapara - those tyres are featured on the back of the Ride mag along with others like the Maxxis Ikon and Aspen, also light tyres for 29" and 26".

Think an Ikon on the back and Aspen on the front would be a good combo.

The Ikon will also be available in the Exxo version ie. sidewall cut resistance.

Tweeted Brandon from Probike the other day and unfortunately they are only coming to SA in August in limited amounts and prices are going up or something as well.

I while back I emailed the people at Pro-bike regarding Ignitors (also in that ad) and they said they will not bring it in as there is no market for them. Maybe they do now.

I while back I emailed the people at Pro-bike regarding Ignitors (also in that ad) and they said they will not bring it in as there is no market for them. Maybe they do now.

Interesting, I asked about the Ikon specifically, 26".

Why is there no market for them ? Maybe if they were here they would sell ?

Guessing Aspens arent selling either, bought a new set for my race wheels locally for R300 a tyre at the lbs, cheaper than CRC.

Dont think they will be here much longer.

Seems SA is "Crossmark LUST or bust" sometimes

Another option is the Kenda Small Block 8 for 29'ers.

Mine weighed in at 590g and 585g and I'm running them tubeless (Stans) with no probs.

Mine weighed in at 590g and 585g and I'm running them tubeless (Stans) with no probs.

Eraser do you run them front and rear?

I know two guys that bought bikes with 26x1.95 Ignitors on them and now spears by it. Best tire they have had in all conditions. Then Pro-bike must be absolutely crazy to just think that they don't have a market for it. Same goes for other models.

Neville, do you perhaps know if SA is getting the S-Works SLK version of the Fast Trak 29er. Saw on the Spez USA website that they weigh 495g apposed to 595g for the normal ones. Shedding 200g will drop my bike below the 9.5kg threshold. I've got Renegades on my 96 Team, but prefer the Fast Traks, although both are awesome.

Fastrak LK Control 2bliss and Fastrak Control LK non tubeless.

No SLK

i also have the Kenda small block 8's but I quickly changed the front tyre because I found the Kenda doesnt like cornering in soft technical terrain, kept washing out and landing in the dirt :blush: put a WTB Nano 2.1 29er on the front today @ 537g :) will be testing it out over the weekend! seriously hoping for better grip, would've gone 2.4 Mountain King if I could find one :D

I know two guys that bought bikes with 26x1.95 Ignitors on them and now spears by it. Best tire they have had in all conditions. Then Pro-bike must be absolutely crazy to just think that they don't have a market for it. Same goes for other models.

I got my 1.95 wire bead ones from a shop that removed them from a customer's bike. Payed something like R120 for them. They are really good. Would love to try a 2.2 Ignitor on the front with the Aspen on the back.

Be careful with the Ignitors, I found them to be an aweful tyre, it didn't seem to do anything very well.