Confidence taking a beating

ADe

I ve been MTBing for 2 months after only being a roadie for a number of years. I entered the 2011 Trans Baviaans. So my training consist of mainly long and steady paced rides without any technical stuff.

This weekend I did my first off road race: hills, rocks, water, mud, more mud etc and I was absolutely stukkend afterwards. The race was only 40km! It gave my confidence a bit of a knock as Im used to doing double that quite often.

For those who have done the TB, do you think its necessary to include more technical stuff in my training?

some may disagree but the TB has absolutely no technical pieces.

And don't stress about being tired after the 40km race. The TB is about steady riding and endurance not about racing hard for 40km. The longest I had done before the tb was 95km of relatively flat riding and the tb was pretty easy. I wouldn't stress about the short fast races if I was you, just concentrate on doing the distance.

Yes you need to learn to ride the technical stuff without a doubt. It is part and parcel of MTBing and MTBing is where you really learn to ride a bicycle properly unlike in road where you basically just need to point the bike in the right direction

Yes you need to learn to ride the technical stuff without a doubt. It is part and parcel of MTBing and MTBing is where you really learn to ride a bicycle properly unlike in road where you basically just need to point the bike in the right direction

whatever dude...tell that to Cancellara after losing this years Roubaix.

I ve been MTBing for 2 months after only being a roadie for a number of years. I entered the 2011 Trans Baviaans. So my training consist of mainly long and steady paced rides without any technical stuff.

This weekend I did my first off road race: hills, rocks, water, mud, more mud etc and I was absolutely stukkend afterwards. The race was only 40km! It gave my confidence a bit of a knock as Im used to doing double that quite often.

For those who have done the TB, do you think its necessary to include more technical stuff in my training?

I would say you definitely need to get some training in on some technical trails, its what MTBing is all about. :) Also its a lot easier to ride 40km on a road, so don't be disheartened.

whatever dude...tell that to Cancellara after losing this years Roubaix.

Which bit do I need to tell him the bit about he should ride more technical on his MTB or the bit that he needs to point his road bike in the right direction? I got him on twitter so I can do it quickly for you. It's really no problem.

Which bit do I need to tell him the bit about he should ride more technical on his MTB or the bit that he needs to point his road bike in the right direction? I got him on twitter so I can do it quickly for you. It's really no problem.

Awesome, If you're on Twitter you can tweet the world that 2 Roadies just won Joberg2C, not bad for guys who can't point their bikes in the right direction! They seemed to find the finish line Just Fine, 5 Stage wins was it?

NO , dont worry so much about the technical stuff. Do hours in the saddle lots and lots of hours cause its the time in the saddle that bites in the TB

:thumbup:

some may disagree but the TB has absolutely no technical pieces.

And don't stress about being tired after the 40km race. The TB is about steady riding and endurance not about racing hard for 40km. The longest I had done before the tb was 95km of relatively flat riding and the tb was pretty easy. I wouldn't stress about the short fast races if I was you, just concentrate on doing the distance.

Awesome, If you're on Twitter you can tweet the world that 2 Roadies just won Joberg2C, not bad for guys who can't point their bikes in the right direction! They seemed to find the finish line Just Fine, 5 Stage wins was it?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm looking forward to my first TB too this year!

My friend rode it last year and he says it's not technical at all, so just keep putting in the distance, both on you road and mountain bike

I'm sure they practiced riding on their Mountain Bikes before taking part - Wasn't this what the original post was about? A roadie who had never ridden MTB before was inquiring as to weather he should practice riding the tech stuff. The answer is yes. Not sure how many forests and single track you ride on when you are on your road bike but I really do try to stay away from it when I'm on mine and was merely suggesting that beginner MTBers practice this skill. See the comment for what it was ie MTBing has technical stuff involved in it and needs practice to develop the skill where as road cycling is more point and ride not to say that roadies cannot ride their bicycles (which I never said by the way) but it is two totally different styles. Each discipline has its own forms of techniques which need to be developed. Hope this clears things up a bit for you and allows you to understand that there was no clear insult involved at roadies and their ability to ride their bikes - I'm 1 myself

I'm sure they practiced riding on their Mountain Bikes before taking part - Wasn't this what the original post was about? A roadie who had never ridden MTB before was inquiring as to weather he should practice riding the tech stuff. The answer is yes. Not sure how many forests and single track you ride on when you are on your road bike but I really do try to stay away from it when I'm on mine and was merely suggesting that beginner MTBers practice this skill. See the comment for what it was ie MTBing has technical stuff involved in it and needs practice to develop the skill where as road cycling is more point and ride not to say that roadies cannot ride their bicycles (which I never said by the way) but it is two totally different styles. Each discipline has its own forms of techniques which need to be developed. Hope this clears things up a bit for you and allows you to understand that there was no clear insult involved at roadies and their ability to ride their bikes - I'm 1 myself

All good, my reply was in reference to your comment that mtb is where you learn to ride a bike. Road / Track / MTB all have particular skills. Todays tragic event at the Giro shows us that cycling is dangerous. No more hijacks your point is understood

Don't worry. I have entered my tandem partner for the Sani2c and he had never ridden an MTB until just over a month ago. We entered the Route 42 MTB race and he blew at 45kms.

He's kept to it and we have just finished the Honda Mountain Trophy finishing in the top third.

MTBing is VERY different from road. In my opinion it's about keeping the power down - no slipstreaming or resting in the bunch. You have to pull yourself the whole way. Downhills are just as tough - or even tougher - than uphills. It's a slog.

Ride and get used to it. If you have road base you'll pick it up quickly. You'll be more comfortable and then you can start worrying about the technical skills which will come with experience.

Guys thanks for all the advice. I will just keep on pedalling and enjoying then.