Cleaning the chain...

Lamber

Sorry for asking this- but I'm outa ideas...

I've been MTB'ing for 4 years now, and before that BMXing for 7 years. In all this time i have not found an easy and effective way of cleaing my (the bike's) chain.

The most effective so far was an old toothbrush and good old Sunlite liquid, but this takes forever. When i bought my latest steed, i decided to get a Park Tool chain cleaner system- set me back R600. The first few times i was impressed, but after a seriously muddy day at Fountains the chain cleaner is not that effective any more...

What do you use? What is bad for the chain? What about high pressure hose?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first...install a powerlink if your chain doesnt have one

remove after ride...let it soak in a tub of cleangreen that can seal(steal from your wife's tupperware collection) while you are washing the rest of the bike...scrub with parktool brush(very hard black bristles), wash in warm water, making sure all the cleangreen is gone, let it dry and refit and lube.

Can use parafin, but disposing of it can become a hassle(unless you braai every night)

Your problem with using a clip on chain cleaner is that your are running your chain over dirty sprockets and chain rings. You'll also need to use the scrubber a few times rinsing in between for it to work effectively.

Scrubbers and bottles both have their pros and cons. Try them out for yourself.

use rock and roll degreaser/ lube in one.

Remove the chain once a month (after mess ride).

Clean it in clean green/ parafin ext.

lube it again

clean the cluster and front blades

replace the chain

What do you use? What is bad for the chain? What about high pressure hose?

Petrol and a high pressure hose. be sure to use the highest pressure you can and aim it at the fiddly bits.

Edit, you coulda searched.

Ping admin, where are we on that recurring discussions forum? Oh, I long to make a post that reads: "...in before recurring."

Edited by TNT1

First things first...install a powerlink if your chain doesnt have one

remove after ride...let it soak in a tub of cleangreen that can seal(steal from your wife's tupperware collection) while you are washing the rest of the bike...scrub with parktool brush(very hard black bristles), wash in warm water, making sure all the cleangreen is gone, let it dry and refit and lube.

Can use parafin, but disposing of it can become a hassle(unless you braai every night)

Sorry noob here but what is a powerlink... And do u remove the chain after each ride?

I use hot water and Kleen Green, effective for cleaning Squirt off my chain. Soak and rinse until water is clean!

Sorry noob here but what is a powerlink... And do u remove the chain after each ride?

http://www.starbike.com/images/SRAM/2006/power_link_8-speed.jpg

And yes, I'm 110% sure some of these okes have nothing better to do, so they do remove the chain. I get the impression that some of them remove the chain to clean it during a ride.

See TNT's post, it's a link that you can remove and refit as many times as you like if its a 9spd cluster without special tools or pins. You should always carry a spare when riding(if something happens to your chain, you just pop one of these babies on and you are riding again)

I don't clean the chain after every ride, it doesn't mean I shouldn't though...a happy chain is a clean chain and will give you a couple more miles in the long run...I am lazy so I don't

PS Dont mind TNT...he is a suurtiet roadie ;)

PS Dont mind TNT...he is a suurtiet roadie ;)

Dammit. And I even went out on the mtb this morning.

Petrol and a high pressure hose. be sure to use the highest pressure you can and aim it at the fiddly bits.

Edit, you coulda searched.

Ping admin, where are we on that recurring discussions forum? Oh, I long to make a post that reads: "...in before recurring."

Please don't just assume that i didn't search. Under key words 'chain+clean' and 'cleaning' and 'chain' there were no results that were helpful- much like you.

Thanks for the advice gents, seems like i will be installing that powerlink :thumbup:

Dammit. And I even went out on the mtb this morning.

It doesnt count, your legs and arms are shaved :rolleyes:

my sincere appologies TNT1, :blush:

Foolishly i only searched the Q&A thread, found the bike cleaning thread just now.

Thanks for the power link post.

Edited by Lamber

Please don't just assume that i didn't search. Under key words 'chain+clean' and 'cleaning' and 'chain' there were no results that were helpful- much like you.

Thanks for the advice gents, seems like i will be installing that powerlink :thumbup:

First item on page two when searchin "clean chain"

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/85825-noob-question-how-often-and-how-to-clean-your-mtb-chain/page__hl__clean+chain

I found several threads that give the same info as this.