not dropping weight

Hello guy's

As you can see by my nick name is Bigvan i am a big guy. 1.76tall but big build.

When i started MTB in December i was about 125KG(stop smoking and travel a lot ,so lots of takeaway's) now

i am about 118-17.5kgs. Its bin like that for the last 2 months.

I am training about 3 to 4 rides a week 16km mountain biking and do light weights on my no ride days.

I take glutamine for the acid and muscle recovery. Whey protein for after a hard ride or work out and

take CLA cap's for tone and shape. I am on a lo G.I eating plan eat small meals five times a day if i can

and lots of water.... about 2lts a day.

So to get to the point..... Why am i not losing more weight?

Is it cos i am building muscle mas or am i doing sum thing wrong?

Edited by BIGVAN3

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do yourself a favour and read Tim Ferriss' book "The 4-hour Body".

Some very interesting things in there in terms of what to eat, and how to exercise.

www.fourhourbody.com

I've lost weight on WeighLess, and put most of it back on. I've been hovering between 92-94kg for about a year now, and have now dropped 2kg in the last week. My intention is to use Tim's plan to drop 10kg in 30 days (one of his challenges) then re-assess after that what needs to be done.

First of all, congratulations on your success thus far!

I think the best advice i can offer is to go see a dietician and get a trainer to direct you sensibly.

You will hear all kinds of advice on this forum, best to ask the experts.

hello

If you are riding to loose kg`s as well as improving ur fitness levels its important not to go to high with ur heart rate. A good investment is a heart rate monitor to insure you not going out of the fat burning range, to high is only going to benefit ur fitness and to low, well, ur not doing much for urself then... you want to stay in the 60 - 75% range. this is the best for fat burning.

hope this helps.

If you are following a balanced diet, you should be getting all the nutrients your body needs. So, I dont think you need the supplements you describe.

I would also suggest that you increase the length of your rides and keep your hearth rate low described above.

I am in the same boat - but I know from past experience that strict diet (lots of lean protein (chicken breast) and limited but not zero carbs) does way more for fat loss for me than excercise - its just that I hate strict dieting. You will also gain some muscle which does not weight zero. A better method is to use a caliper on a section of fat or even just to take a weekly photograph.

hello

If you are riding to loose kg`s as well as improving ur fitness levels its important not to go to high with ur heart rate. A good investment is a heart rate monitor to insure you not going out of the fat burning range, to high is only going to benefit ur fitness and to low, well, ur not doing much for urself then... you want to stay in the 60 - 75% range. this is the best for fat burning.

hope this helps.

This is theoretically correct, but flawed. While lower intensity training is more efficient, your total calories burnt is too low to make a difference. Would you rather burn fat at 50% of 100 calories per session or 30% of 500 calories per session. The latter is less efficient but the total fat calories is still higher than the more efficient method.

Stay away from take-aways and sugary drinks. Aswell as beer and wine. Cut out white bread, potatoes and pasta aswell. Cut down on your fat intake. Do not stop at coffee shops during or after rides.

Yes I agree, I guess it all depends how long your rides are. If you going out and doing 60km 4 times a week my method would be more realistic.

Simple really, create a calorie defficite. Burn more than you put in and the fat will dissapear. You can do it yourself by watching carefully what you eat. Protein, carbs, vegetable, fruit and lots of water are an important part of your diet. Get a dietician to sort your eating plan and spend money on a trainer. Combining those two will let you see your goal quickly. If cost is an issue, use Google but filter what you read carefully and watch the portion sizes! Good luck. ;)

eat small meals five times a day if i can

and lots of water.... about 2lts a day.

So to get to the point..... Why am i not losing more weight?

Is it cos i am building muscle mas or am i doing sum thing wrong?

It's because you're not creating a caloric deficit. In other words, taking into account what you are eating and how/how much you are training, you are either eating too much, or not training optimally.

Edit: Grebel beat me to it.

Edited by Ollie

the easiest way to lose weight is to do the daily kilojoule count. if kilojoules burnt (By excercise or just living) is higher than the number of kilojoules you consume then the energy you have just expended has to come from your bodies reserves. (unfortunately your body can digest muscle as well as fat). Lower your kilojoule intake, maintain the excercise then something should happen! if your kilojoule intake is about what you are burning from excercise then your weight will remain the same (although it is likely that it will be redistributed, with me it went from my belly to my shoulders)

one of the depressing things for me is how much you actually need to excercise to burn off the meal you just ate. if you consider that there are about 35000 kj in 1 kg of human fat then that is the number of kilojoules that you need to burn in order to lose that kg. Apparently in order to maintain a body weight of 80kg then the reccomended daily kilojoule intake is roughly 11780kj for a male. (http://www.bizresources.biz/KPD/PMP/body/weightloss.htm)Your excercise routine will affect your metabolism however. a slow metabolism is very good at converting food into fat and a fast metabolism is decidedly inefficient. thus people with fast metabolisms can get away with eating more.

Hope that helps! you have burnt 240 000kj so far! thats over 410 beers that you have worked off!

Edited by jonquil

one of the depressing things for me is how much you actually need to excercise to burn off the meal you just ate.

The scary thing is how little your body needs to go through a day. If you eat good food then you don't even need 200gr of meat in a meal. So cut out the lazy aged steak and half a plate and chips and you will lose weight. 150gr of chicken, 4 table spoons of brown rice and some veggies is enough to take you to breakfast. 30gr of sereal with low fat milk and a small unsweetened juice will hold you till tea time. Small youghurt and a fruit will hold untill lunch. Some of what you ate last night, just cut down to about 75% will be okay untill afternoon tea where you have another fruit. Oh and don't forget the big glass of water every 2 hours. Please notice the absence of coffee.

Most of what has been written above might be true for most normal riding individuals. However like me you are not normal. Normal overweight is like 10% overweight. You my friend like me are obese. I weihted in at 150 kg and come down to 108 kg in like three years. It is not just a matter of burning kilojoules. I have even done a few halve ironmans and still strugle to shed the weight.You need to be very patiant and get medical help. No diet or any amount of training alone will do it for you no matter what your skinny riding buddies might tell you. For them it might be 4 hours of training a week. for me i sometimes train 14 hours a week eat less than 7000 kj per day and still gain weight. So explain that... Over time and lots of time you will see results if you keep on going at it little by little.

No diet or any amount of training alone will do it for you no matter what your skinny riding buddies might tell you.

Are you suggesting that a three day fast will not promote weight loss?