Simano 10 speed quick-links

Whatsup!

Hi All

I am looking for some technical advice/experience

I have the new Shimano XT 10 speed drive train.

I know my old 9 speed quick-links wont work, so I have been looking for new Shimano 10 speed quick links.

According to LBS, Shimano only offer the pins and not quick links.

Can I use the SRAM 10 speed quick links, even though it says for use on SRAM chain only?

Has anyone used a SRAM quick link on a Shimano 10 speed chain?

What effects does it have on the Shimano chain that is "directional"?

Are there any other recommended options?

Thanks

Is there any difference between the SRAM MTB quick link and it's road quick link? The SRAM 10sp road link isn't designed to by reusable - you can, but it's really difficult to remove.

If the XT10 chain has the same dimensions as a road 10sp chain, you could use KMC or YBN quick links. You can get the YBN ones locally from Planet X Bikes.

Shimano made a Dura Ace 10 speed quick link. I had one and looked every where to find more only to find out they wore out much quicker than the chain and made the chain jump. Production were stopped soon after their release.

They were very easy to remove though. :(

I make use of the KMC reusable ones. Have one on my road bike (10spd) and one on my MTB (9spd). Bought them from an online shop in the US.

I make use of the KMC reusable ones.

Reusable? Never knew they were meant to be reusable?

I believe, new chain new link!

Edited by Tankman

Reusable? Never knew they were meant to be reusable?

I believe, new chain new link!

I think reusable in the sense that you can easily connect and disconnect it, as opposed to a pin or the SRAM 10sp one that requires a set of pliers to remove once it's connected (and whose specs say to connect only once).

Yea that makes sense. Reuse it on the same chain as many times as you like but when the chain goes, the link goes.

Install a new link with every new chain.