Can you identify this winter head gear?

capeofstorms

Ja, agreed. Was just saying that they're not limited to winter protection. You have summer buffs too :)

You'll likely find that in SA, buffs are generally a summer thing and are about sun protection, while in northern Europe they go more for the thick buffs for cold protection.

Just after I read your post earlier, I went onto the site. How are these Angler Buffs?!

Fishy!!!

post-1604-0-62312400-1305620972.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could also be known as a "Snood", which is a combination of "scarf" and "hood". It's a medieval thing. These days though, the word is more usually applied to the little net thing that old ladies wrap their hair-bun in. (This small piece of useless information is brought to you with the compliments of girls in the office, because it's not my usual habit to go prowling for medieval fashion tips, and I don't have a fetish for old ladies with hair-buns.)

Yeah, thats the name. The footballers wear them, why I don't know. I used to own a neoprene version for pollution & the cold.

Just smear a thin layer of vaseline on your face for those cold days - Did that when I cycled in London during the winter.

I think you should just HTFU!

Mackie, we can take my boat out one day - launch off Tinley and go out for the day. I'll wear my buff and come home with my face intact. On the way back, I'll call ahead to Alberlito so that they have a bed waiting in the burn unit for you :P

The buff also works great as a sweat trapper, wrapped around your head like a sweat band

Also known as stretch cotton. Probably around R10 per metre from your local fabric shop 'n all, in a variety of colours and designs. Kudo's to Buff for marketing a cut off trouser leg and selling it for R168.00.

Hi,

After trolling through Cape Union Mart, Due South and Cape Storms and not finding anything suitable (mostly summer buffs and exorbitantly priced), I approached Rapid Sports in Cape Town

They promptly made one up for me to try (not their stock standard item). The complete inside of the buff is "fleecy material". The buff itelf is breathable.

Based on feedback, this will become their stock standard item (and priced very reasonalbly). Should you be interested contact them direclty.

Also known as stretch cotton. Probably around R10 per metre from your local fabric shop 'n all, in a variety of colours and designs. Kudo's to Buff for marketing a cut off trouser leg and selling it for R168.00.

The trick is that they are completely seamless. Anatomic tried to make them but believe me they are not as good.

If you look hard enough I am sure youu will find a suitable replacement in a fabric shop. If you do sew it yourself, make sure the seam is on the outside and when you put it on, make sure it is at the back of your head.

The trick is that they are completely seamless. Anatomic tried to make them but believe me they are not as good.

Ja the saleman told me the seamless bit. Not important when it's on your head surely. Just as well it wasn't in a bike shop as he would also probably tired to sell me another circus bike as it's faster......

Ja the saleman told me the seamless bit. Not important when it's on your head surely. Just as well it wasn't in a bike shop as he would also probably tired to sell me another circus bike as it's faster......

The seam does make a difference. No seam to leave a line around you forehead for 5 hours and you don't have to worry about the helmet catching the seam and press it into your scull.

You get it seamless in fabric shops. My wife made me a few. Work great.

PS manfrog, where's your OCD rant about people calling them buff's when that's a proprietary term and whatnot?

If you look hard enough I am sure youu will find a suitable replacement in a fabric shop. If you do sew it yourself, make sure the seam is on the outside and when you put it on, make sure it is at the back of your head.

Yeah, that works too. I had a few of those till we found the seamless stuff at a different fabric supplier. (My wife runs her own fashion design/manufacture business, so maybe she just knows where to look?)

Edited by TNT1

PS manfrog, where's your OCD rant about people calling them buff's when that's a proprietary term and whatnot?

I'm giving up on mankind. They will remain stupid untill the world ends in October.

Buff's™ are a great piece of kit!!!!

I never ride on my motorbike (no not a harley) without one in winter.

When cycling i use it as sweat trapper under my helmet. and in really cold conditions, use a second one as balaclava.