Riding up the DOWNhills at Tokai

grb285

I am not even a DH'er but can understand his frustrations . Surely the must be another route to get to the top on this route ? Anyway if you go up a route and don't see any signs to indicate you are actaully on a route then ge the F@# out of there and this goes for Groenkloof as well . I see it is the "in" thing to go DOWN onion hills these days !!!!

I go down onionhill every week...... Thing is it is jeeptrack not single track and there is definitly no direction marked on either end at any of the jeep tracks for cyclist...... . I never go the wrong way on the single track

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the DH riders who walk up the tracks pushing their bikes (presumably because they aren't able to ride them up there, not because they don't want to)? Is it not exactly the same thing? I do agree there is a danger factor to it and thus it is not the most intelligent thing to ride up the tracks in certain areas where there are fast, blind corners, but I don't think you are in a position to lay claim to any land in tokai forest as your exclusive place to be and I can't see any specific rules that provide for your claims so it's probably not best to go around calling people names, but rather try a constructive, intelligent discussion and take the time yourself to discuss it with whomever might be able to make rules or put up warning signs on the dangerous areas. Just a suggestion...

Hi Edge, I am an XCer/DHer wannabe and I find it disgusting to say the least. As for the DHers that walk up the track... They keep off the racing line and, if on the racing line, pull over for those coming from behind or from the front.

The issue at hand here is with guys riding UP the DOWN ONLY sections. DH1. DH2. My Roots. Etc etc. Those trails are NOT bidirectional. The fact that so many people seem to think that it is their RIGHT to claim domination over a trail that they are in no way supposed to be on, and curse, vloek and harrass those those that are merely enjoying that which they love, is - frankly - disgusting.

Rant off.

Edited by cptmayhem

Edge: it's marked on the map. the exclusivity is implied by action of the designated activity, and the map. Pushing your sled up is nothing, and does nothing to the track. I can almost categorically state ALL DHers know how to respect the racing line and others on the track. It is most definitely NOT the same thing. FUnnything is, DHers always pull over, and shout rider, no matter who is coming down whatever track.

No, this argument is way simpler than the excuses being made for stupid arrogance.

I thought I was the only one who found this to be a pain in the.... Anyway I agree as far as tokai is concerned, you go up the jeep track and then either down with the jeep track and IF you are CAPABLE then you go down the single track. Now there are alot of okes that ride down the single tracks and just dont know how and end up ripping up the trail = not cool, you belong on the jeep track. I ride a XC hardtail, but I promise you I too come flying down all the single track including the bridal path and almost never lock up my brakes when I sue it. The morons that ride up the single track, why dont you guys ride up bridal path???? I think the guys in charge of tokai should start putting no entry signs up so that all hell can brake loose

Riyadh: the only hell that will break loose is who becomes the fall guy when an XCer gets turned into trailkill by a 80+kg speed machine. The risk of this is low, but the consequences if it does. *shudder*

but a humorous reminder on the origins of this right of way debate (thanks DHK :P ):

Right of Way Debate

R O W D

ROW D

roadie

:P

Edited by Jarek Wysocki

Just right, Jarek. No segregation, just common sense. I book these guys in the same group as those who try to blag their way past the gate guy with the "I left my wildcard at home", "I'll pay when I get back", and "I didn't know I had to pay" lines.

I thought I was the only one who found this to be a pain in the.... Anyway I agree as far as tokai is concerned, you go up the jeep track and then either down with the jeep track and IF you are CAPABLE then you go down the single track. Now there are alot of okes that ride down the single tracks and just dont know how and end up ripping up the trail = not cool, you belong on the jeep track. I ride a XC hardtail, but I promise you I too come flying down all the single track including the bridal path and almost never lock up my brakes when I sue it. The morons that ride up the single track, why dont you guys ride up bridal path???? I think the guys in charge of tokai should start putting no entry signs up so that all hell can brake loose

Hmm no idea why u would want to try ride up the bridal path :unsure: I have enough problems coming down :blush:

CPT which is My roots??? Its the low ones near fairy garden?

Riyadh: the only hell that will break loose is who becomes the fall guy when an XCer gets turned into trailkill by a 80+kg speed machine. The risk of this is low, but the consequences if it does.

but a humorous reminder on the origins of this right of way debate (thanks DHK :P ):

Right of Way Debate

R O W D

ROW D

roadie

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

Not all roadies, but they do lend themselves to gratuitous generalisation...

Just right, Jarek. No segregation, just common sense. I book these guys in the same group as those who try to blag their way past the gate guy with the "I left my wildcard at home", "I'll pay when I get back", and "I didn't know I had to pay" lines.

So tru hey, dont you just hate these okes, and they are the first ones to complain about trail maintenance!

Hmm no idea why u would want to try ride up the bridal path :unsure: I have enough problems coming down :blush:

CPT which is My roots??? Its the low ones near fairy garden?

Yeah - it's split into 2 routes (har har)

There's also Your Roots, which is the newish trail that starts by the end of faerie garden with a raised bridge ending in a small drop-off / ramp thing, and ends up by the 2nd hairpin of the main fire road. My Roots is the original one that starts at that same hairpin so you can come barrelling down the fire road straight into the trail, and hangs left. Then it splits into a more DH route on the left hand fork, and to a less technical route (but still laden with jumps and ****) on the right hand fork. Both of these end up just before where Faerie Garden starts (the bottom end). My Roots used to be VERY rooty, and ended with quite a big tabletop right at the bottom. It has since been re-rooted (har har) into the new twin routes (another HAR HAR)

My Roots is my last call on the way down, after barrelling down Vatbyt and before that, whatever DH route ends up at the top of Vasbyt (rather tentatively on this one though, only done it once and my bike doesn't exactly fill the bill when it comes to describing "plush" and "drop-happy")

So tru hey, dont you just hate these okes, and they are the first ones to complain about trail maintenance!

Speaking of which - when's the next TMD (Trail Maintenance Day) ? Last one was while I was stepping on to a plane on the way to my honeymoon... Need to do my bit for the trails!!!

Yeah - it's split into 2 routes (har har)

There's also Your Roots, which is the newish trail that starts by the end of faerie garden with a raised bridge ending in a small drop-off / ramp thing, and ends up by the 2nd hairpin of the main fire road. My Roots is the original one that starts at that same hairpin so you can come barrelling down the fire road straight into the trail, and hangs left. Then it splits into a more DH route on the left hand fork, and to a less technical route (but still laden with jumps and ****) on the right hand fork. Both of these end up just before where Faerie Garden starts (the bottom end). My Roots used to be VERY rooty, and ended with quite a big tabletop right at the bottom. It has since been re-rooted (har har) into the new twin routes (another HAR HAR)

My Roots is my last call on the way down, after barrelling down Vatbyt and before that, whatever DH route ends up at the top of Vasbyt (rather tentatively on this one though, only done it once and my bike doesn't exactly fill the bill when it comes to describing "plush" and "drop-happy")

Cool i thought it was , its a lovely piece of single track , i prefer the right hand side its got some nice berms and little jumps :thumbup: :clap:

Cool i thought it was , its a lovely piece of single track , i prefer the right hand side its got some nice berms and little jumps :thumbup: :clap:

Yeah, me too... For the moment. Yesterday I cleared that 1st little gap jump for the first time, and just dropped into that right hand berm so sweetly. But that track has already been mutilated at the bottom half by ppl dragging their back brakes. Hectically rutted and donga-ed.

Need to try the left hand fork next though. Fun fun fun, till Chucky broke the scaphoid in twooooo.... Fun fun fun... (to Beach Boys backing tune)

And yes, Chucky is my nickname. So named by my ex-colleagues.

Not to say that I'm a downhiller, on my flimsy little 100mm XC bike, but I put my seat down low and ride it like a DJ bike when / if I can.

There's no classification. We're all trying our best to have fun. The bike you ride doesnt make the rider. It looks like you are having a lot of fun up there, and thats what counts. Hope to meet you some time on the trails.

And the DH riders who walk up the tracks pushing their bikes (presumably because they aren't able to ride them up there, not because they don't want to)? Is it not exactly the same thing? I do agree there is a danger factor to it and thus it is not the most intelligent thing to ride up the tracks in certain areas where there are fast, blind corners, but I don't think you are in a position to lay claim to any land in tokai forest as your exclusive place to be and I can't see any specific rules that provide for your claims so it's probably not best to go around calling people names, but rather try a constructive, intelligent discussion and take the time yourself to discuss it with whomever might be able to make rules or put up warning signs on the dangerous areas. Just a suggestion...

This is exactly the kind of person who didnt move off the DH track yesterday. Edge, the routes are for DH. We tolerate guys riding up them though, just don't mess up the lips on the jumps, or skid around the berms. These take time to build. I don't "lay claim" to anything. We all share this place, and these DH routes are for everyone. BUT they are UNI-directional. That's for safety reasons.

...but a humorous reminder on the origins of this right of way debate (thanks DHK :P ):

Right of Way Debate

R O W D

ROW D

roadie

hahahahahahaa, that's brilliant!

Yeah, me too... For the moment. Yesterday I cleared that 1st little gap jump for the first time, and just dropped into that right hand berm so sweetly. But that track has already been mutilated at the bottom half by ppl dragging their back brakes. Hectically rutted and donga-ed.

Good going man. Airtime is the best feeling, and the berm after that gap is perfect. I've been noticing a lot of rutted parts on the trails. Someone must be making a killing off selling tyres ;)

The comments in the postings above make it all too clear why we are not allowed to ride on most routes on Table Mountain...