Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

Canon 10-22 (3.4-4.5 USM). Also considered Sigma's 10-20 with the fixed f3.5, but from reviews the Canon won me over, distortion is apparently the best... well, lack thereof! And I like the fact that it's a Canon and not a 3rd party lens.

I have played with both, you made an excellent choice, the Sigma was almost too sharp.

I have sold both mine and have bought the 17-40 f4L .

On a full frame sensor it's madness.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja, my only gripe with the lens is it's my only non-full-frame capable lens, should I ever go that way...

Confused by your last sentence... Do you say the 17-40 is "madness" ito... hmmm... shall I say sensory overload? Or am I on dof Tuesday duty and missed something?

Ja, my only gripe with the lens is it's my only non-full-frame capable lens, should I ever go that way...

Confused by your last sentence... Do you say the 17-40 is "madness" ito... hmmm... shall I say sensory overload? Or am I on dof Tuesday duty and missed something?

Image quality and wideness is madness :thumbup:

Good one Big H! Makes me think of the Martin Brundle saying about the most important nut in an F1 car is the nut behind the steering wheel.

I have been playing around with some of my images.

To me the idea of a photo is to also add some of the atmosphere one experiences at the time of taking the image.

I take a photo because at that moment in time I was in awe of what I saw.

Images even when boosted are often quite flat and often just another nice picture.

I took this image.

It was before the start of a Critical Mass, the atmosphere was energetic ,the air was energetic and that particular moment when the sun was going down and the people arrived was as I said simply awe inspiring.

This is my idea of trying to add some atmosphere to the moment.

999082_10151505522821179_510586910_n.jpg

Great pic awesome time of day and I know the location, I just dont get there for more photos. Great miniature.

Great pic awesome time of day and I know the location, I just dont get there for more photos. Great miniature.

thanks, think the shot was more to do with luck but came out well in the end

Okay clever dudes, here's one for you... and I thought the answer was simple! I have a UV filter that I cannot for the life of me get clean. I simply touched it a while ago whilst removing it.

So, easy, you just wipe off the finger mark with lens paper... Noooo, it leaves a bigger mark! Hmmm okay, take a lens cloth. Same. Lens fluid plus lens paper... biggest f-up - it looks as if the thing now has a fatty layer over it - that fluid just goes blotchy over the entire filter. :cursing:

Any other ideas?! Worst is, I have replaced it in the end. Yesterday evening a droplet fell just in front of the lens, splashing onto the UV filter. I take a lens cloth, just dab it away... Huge "vaal kol" this morning. :cursing: :eek:

A lens pen was suggested and I do not have a lens pen, but I thought that's just the same fluid in a different format.

If it makes any difference: I know it's a Kenko UV filter, not exaaaactly sure which "version" - think it's a Pro something.

Wyatt, we need a new image for the Parktown North Residents Association.. Any photo taken of a corner, pretty much endorses that particular building/restaurant and it is a grey area to use any one particular home view on newsletters.

We need ideas of how to get a shot like down a street maybe..that doesnt put focus on anything in particular. any ideas?

Sounds like you have an idea already.

Shoot with a large depth of field and shoot down a row of houses or the street.

Maybe do it in low light and turn on house, garden or street lights to attract the eye instead of a house doing that.

Okay clever dudes, here's one for you... and I thought the answer was simple! I have a UV filter that I cannot for the life of me get clean. I simply touched it a while ago whilst removing it.

So, easy, you just wipe off the finger mark with lens paper... Noooo, it leaves a bigger mark! Hmmm okay, take a lens cloth. Same. Lens fluid plus lens paper... biggest f-up - it looks as if the thing now has a fatty layer over it - that fluid just goes blotchy over the entire filter. :cursing:

Any other ideas?! Worst is, I have replaced it in the end. Yesterday evening a droplet fell just in front of the lens, splashing onto the UV filter. I take a lens cloth, just dab it away... Huge "vaal kol" this morning. :cursing: :eek:

A lens pen was suggested and I do not have a lens pen, but I thought that's just the same fluid in a different format.

If it makes any difference: I know it's a Kenko UV filter, not exaaaactly sure which "version" - think it's a Pro something.

Sounds like the coating has gone bad, but then I am purely speculating.

I had the same issue with a UV filter, tried warm water with a little sunlight liquid, and got 99% of the greasy finger print off