Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

So a few questions.

Are you shooting in RAW and editing or using the camera to do a basic edit. Or are you shooting in the combo mode. I understand the reason for RAW and would definitely like to play around with it. But I imagine if you are taking loads of shots it could be quite tedious to edit every one.

Also which editing program for MAC. I have quite a bit of experience with Photoshop, but was thinking I might be looking for something simple and more specific, like lightroom or aperture. (I haven't used either of those)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a few questions.

Are you shooting in RAW and editing or using the camera to do a basic edit. Or are you shooting in the combo mode. I understand the reason for RAW and would definitely like to play around with it. But I imagine if you are taking loads of shots it could be quite tedious to edit every one.

Also which editing program for MAC. I have quite a bit of experience with Photoshop, but was thinking I might be looking for something simple and more specific, like lightroom or aperture. (I haven't used either of those)

Hi Kona

I shoot raw only.

The web is full of jpegs that show how in camera j-pegs deteriorate the overall quality.

RAW, the images come out super bland but gives you lot's of room to play with accurate colour rendering, shadows and light.

Even with lots of images , in Lightroom you can get yourself some presets you mix yourself.

I am not a big fan of editing.

a) It takes too long and (b) I like to try and get most images close to what my eye saw.

In camera conversion often let's me down, so don't use it at all.

Lightroom 5 works really well and is not too expensive.

Hi Kona

I shoot raw only.

The web is full of jpegs that show how in camera j-pegs deteriorate the overall quality.

RAW, the images come out super bland but gives you lot's of room to play with accurate colour rendering, shadows and light.

Even with lots of images , in Lightroom you can get yourself some presets you mix yourself.

I am not a big fan of editing.

a) It takes too long and (b) I like to try and get most images close to what my eye saw.

In camera conversion often let's me down, so don't use it at all.

Lightroom 5 works really well and is not too expensive.

Thanks, great answer. It is the way I was thinking. I don't want to heavily edit these photos. If I can create a preset in lightroom that would be ideal. From time to time I may add effects to a particular image.

Does anyone on here meet up and go take photos together. Like a club would do. It would be great to join some people who know what they are doing, and get some tips.

Many of the guys here are also members on the ODP forum and a great place to get your photos critiqued...some of the people may be a little harsh though.

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forums/

Lol, I guess harsh is a good way to learn. I will give it a go.

Not always, photography is like art and always very subjective.

One guy might not see a pic the same way you do.

If it is really shocking and goes against all the rules, now that I can understand.

Also sometimes people give a comment and they throw all the words around they learnt from their "free course" those are normally creepy and horrible comments.

Thank you :thumbup:

I like photography and I have a Canon eos500D, which should take quite decent photos in the right hands, but i suck miserably!

I like photography and I have a Canon eos500D, which should take quite decent photos in the right hands, but i suck miserably!

There's a guy with a blog that shoots with a 350D and he has some awesome photos.

Go and do a basic course to teach you all the settings and terms.

Edited by gummibear

There's a guy with a blog that shoots with a 350D and he has some awesome photos.

Go and do a basic course to teach you all the settings and terms.

I think the difference is that he has talent :w00t: