Photo/Photographer thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And as for the saying "it's not about the camera" = you've just proven it with those last 2 pics Dangle. I use a 450D and whenever I hear people telling me that the camera must be really good, because the pics come out really well, a little voice in my head goes neanderthal on them...

Thanks Dangle! I was initially looking at the 60D but then had a look at the 600D which as a bundle comparison came in at around R3000 between them with the 18-135mm IS lense from ORMS. The 60D does 6 fps where the 600D does 4 (Approximately) Obviously the 60D is a better camera but looking at what Nish4's daughter is putting out with a 1000D I don't think that is really an issue.

What are your thoughts on my pricing? I suppose I should place the ad and see what happens, just don't want to sell myself short or price it out of the market. I am targeting a small group of people...

And as for the saying "it's not about the camera" = you've just proven it with those last 2 pics Dangle. I use a 450D and whenever I hear people telling me that the camera must be really good, because the pics come out really well, a little voice in my head goes neanderthal on them...

But IMO the 450d is one of Canon's Best.

Thanks Dangle! I was initially looking at the 60D but then had a look at the 600D which as a bundle comparison came in at around R3000 between them with the 18-135mm IS lense from ORMS. The 60D does 6 fps where the 600D does 4 (Approximately) Obviously the 60D is a better camera but looking at what Nish4's daughter is putting out with a 1000D I don't think that is really an issue.

What are your thoughts on my pricing? I suppose I should place the ad and see what happens, just don't want to sell myself short or price it out of the market. I am targeting a small group of people...

Grebel - you can't go wrong with ORMS. Arguably the best camera store in the country. Studio 22 comes a very close 2nd, IMHO.

Their pricing is also very good (ORMS) and the staff are extremely helpful. If you find a better deal elsewhere, just talk to the guys and they will accommodate you.

ORMS is the only place I take my pics to be printed on canvas, normal card or anything. Studio 22 get the Photo Books...

But IMO the 450d is one of Canon's Best.

Yes, but you still need to know how to use the thing... There's only so much "Auto" can do. And I shoot on manual the whole time. RAW is where it's at...

ORMS are really well priced, in Jo'Burg Foto and Discount World are also very good.

As for the Sony kit, I am really not sure, I would suggest though to advertise on ODP.

Just remember for birds or fast sport photography, you might want the faster frames per second.

Grebel - you can't go wrong with ORMS. Arguably the best camera store in the country. Studio 22 comes a very close 2nd, IMHO.

Their pricing is also very good (ORMS) and the staff are extremely helpful. If you find a better deal elsewhere, just talk to the guys and they will accommodate you.

ORMS is the only place I take my pics to be printed on canvas, normal card or anything. Studio 22 get the Photo Books...

Thanks cpt. I will probably end up going the 600D route with the lens bundle from ORMS, just need to sell the Sony. Their on-line store looks quite comprehensive :thumbup:

This is a pic of a random trumpeteer that I took on Clifton 4th just after sunset quite a while back. Taken with my 450d, just somma. Not staged, promise.

One of my favourite pics... The watermark is for my wife's blog, as it was put up there as part of "our" photographic collection.

post-3056-0-03255400-1321865917.jpg

ORMS are really well priced, in Jo'Burg Foto and Discount World are also very good.

As for the Sony kit, I am really not sure, I would suggest though to advertise on ODP.

Just remember for birds or fast sport photography, you might want the faster frames per second.

That's where I was battling this weekend with the Woolworths Wacky Triathlon. Needed more FPS than the 450 could give me.

This is a pic of a random trumpeteer that I took on Clifton 4th just after sunset quite a while back. Taken with my 450d, just somma. Not staged, promise.

One of my favourite pics... The watermark is for my wife's blog, as it was put up there as part of "our" photographic collection.

post-3056-0-03255400-1321865917.jpg

Ooooh, I like that :thumbup:

Thanks cpt. I will probably end up going the 600D route with the lens bundle from ORMS, just need to sell the Sony. Their on-line store looks quite comprehensive :thumbup:

if you want to save on shipping, I'm coming up to crimetown over Christmas. Hatton Estates, to be exact. I'd be more than happy to "courier" them up there for you.

Oh - A mate of mine has the 500d and he's super chuffed with it. There is also a marked difference in focus speed between the 450 & 500 (I tested this out myself, with a 70-200mm non IS lens that I switched between the bodies, in Canal Walk shopping centre - 500 was noticeably faster at focussing) so I can only assume that, along with a superior FPS rating, the 600 is that much faster at focussing as well.

Hmmmm Maybe saving some pennies for the 60D may be an option....

My take, if you can't get it right after one shot, why even bother :lol:

The 600 with spare pennies for a 50 mm. f1.4 lens :thumbup:

Edited by Dangle

Hmmmm Maybe saving some pennies for the 60D may be an option....

the 600 is still VERY good, Grebel. Only reason I say I could have used more FPS was that I was shooting some cyclists going through water, and was trying to shoot 3 or 4 different shots as the splashing is so unpredictable.

A word of advice though - get yourself a VERY good SD card. It has to be one of the Extreme 3's if you're going Sandisk, otherwise the camera WILL lag and your FPS rating will decrease because the card's data capacity can't handle the camera's writing speed.

Look for the highest transfer rate, and go with that. With SD cards, unfortunately, price does directly relate to quality.

BTW - that's also why I was having issues on saturday with the FPS rating. One of the cards I have was a gift, and the buyer went for the cheaper option.

My 2c worth

Look for a Canon 50D used,maybe you lucky and you find a new one on internet...ODP have a few used on the forum.It has a magnesium body and is weather sealed.It's a great camera

I know a few guys that are very unhappy with the plastic 60D.You wont get better photos by going with the 600D,but you will get video.

I am a Sony shooter and enjoy them and yes there is a shortage of lenses but i use Tamron lenses mostly.Ihad a 450 and a 500 and i prefer the my Sony A580.