How to learn to do bigger jumps?

banna

dude a 6 inch bike is fine to do most jumps on! Start with Table tops to build up your confidence - when you think you are ready to hit the bigger stuff - Here are some key notes:

1. Bike setup

- make sure you have a shortish stem on (the more stretched out you feel the harder it is to try control the bike when the front noses in)

- put your seat down! (this keeps your weight properly positioned)

2. Protection

- Full face and some arm/knee guards will help (cus trust me you going to eat it at some point)

3. Prep the Drop/Jump

- if its your first time hitting a jump - STOP - check the lip (is it smooth? is it a sender? will it buck you?) - roll in on the bike and roll up the lip and back down (this helps you get a feel of the lip - look at the landing - spot your landing area.

4. RELAX!

- main thing that makes people crash is that they tense up when in the air and FREEZE - you do this you are tickets!

- As you roll in to the jump look at the lip! where are you going to take off - prepare for the "kick" - as you are in the air remember to stay relaxed with your body and spot your landing! Land absorbing the impact with your body!

5. COMMITMENT!

- sometimes you have to just commit! EVERYONE gets scared on a jump now and then! - if you are unsure - watch someone else do it and ask them if you can run in behind them to feel the speed - run in and stop as they take off - then go back up SUCK IT UP and HIT IT! - if you coming in hot and you brake too late you screwed! So you have to just commit in your mind and just say "SCREW IT! Im gonna make this!"

6. NEVER GIVE UP!

- this is probably THE most important tip! WHEN YOU DO CRASH .... get up! Assess the situation! What did you do wrong? why did you crash? THEN when you know this - Go up and do it again IMMEDIATELY!!!! If you dont you get a mind-block against that type of jump/drop and then you are screwed (like ME - i binned it on a fade-away stepdown and nearly broke my pelvis - havent done a jump like that since! Too scared - all cus as soon as i was better i didnt go back and conquer it)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool bananas. My bike has the normal Fox RP23 at the rear and the rebound is set to slow when in the "soft" pro pedal setting, so I'll just stick to that like you said. And ja, up front the fork is set to a quick rebound, so I guess it's all systems go!

yup! my Ndiza 4X bike (the one that I do most of my jumping with) also runs an RP23. I've tried putting it on the lock-out/hard setting, just to feel the difference, but genereally I run it regular with a slowish rebound.

personally i'd set my front rebound at around half way - if its too fast it may pogo on landing and make the front end go squirly! But thats just what i find (i personally like a slower rebound - but thats just me)

dude a 6 inch bike is fine to do most jumps on! Start with Table tops to build up your confidence - when you think you are ready to hit the bigger stuff - Here are some key notes:

1. Bike setup

- make sure you have a shortish stem on (the more stretched out you feel the harder it is to try control the bike when the front noses in)

- put your seat down! (this keeps your weight properly positioned)

2. Protection

- Full face and some arm/knee guards will help (cus trust me you going to eat it at some point)

3. Prep the Drop/Jump

- if its your first time hitting a jump - STOP - check the lip (is it smooth? is it a sender? will it buck you?) - roll in on the bike and roll up the lip and back down (this helps you get a feel of the lip - look at the landing - spot your landing area.

4. RELAX!

- main thing that makes people crash is that they tense up when in the air and FREEZE - you do this you are tickets!

- As you roll in to the jump look at the lip! where are you going to take off - prepare for the "kick" - as you are in the air remember to stay relaxed with your body and spot your landing! Land absorbing the impact with your body!

5. COMMITMENT!

- sometimes you have to just commit! EVERYONE gets scared on a jump now and then! - if you are unsure - watch someone else do it and ask them if you can run in behind them to feel the speed - run in and stop as they take off - then go back up SUCK IT UP and HIT IT! - if you coming in hot and you brake too late you screwed! So you have to just commit in your mind and just say "SCREW IT! Im gonna make this!"

6. NEVER GIVE UP!

- this is probably THE most important tip! WHEN YOU DO CRASH .... get up! Assess the situation! What did you do wrong? why did you crash? THEN when you know this - Go up and do it again IMMEDIATELY!!!! If you dont you get a mind-block against that type of jump/drop and then you are screwed (like ME - i binned it on a fade-away stepdown and nearly broke my pelvis - havent done a jump like that since! Too scared - all cus as soon as i was better i didnt go back and conquer it)

What he said :thumbup:

Good tips Nigel.

Especially the RELAX, COMMITMENT, (tensing and hestitation are probably the 2 biggest causes of bails)and try again IMMEDIATELY when you fall (if you are able to of course).

Like you, I have also created a phobia of certain jumps for myself because they spooked me with a bail and I didn't try again as soon as I could.

When one bails (not if, but when... cos it's going to happen), your confidence will be dealt a serious blow. Often this may result in some regression... you won't want to do jumps that you found easy before. Getting back on the bike and trying again ASAP is the best way to combat this.

Bana, I'll have my new armour in the next month, then you can use mine to see it is worth buying if you want. You more than welcome to head out with us to Paarl or so as well. The other guys does the things I can not yet do (frustrating thing it is not my ability that stops me from growing, but my head).

So yeah, drop me a PM with your number if you keen and we'll drop you a line next time we go.

We section the trail once, doing every drop or jump a few times before we do runs, so you'll know exactly whats comes - helps to not have surprises!

So my problem is that my front wheel, even on smallish jumps tends to be pulled more to the right( not sure if this is beacuse I'm righthanded)

Whats the best way to stop this? Not sure if it maybe just a bad habbit, also is it better to kick out the rear wheel, I find I can only kick out the back wheel to the right as well, whats the best method for doing it to the left?

So my problem is that my front wheel, even on smallish jumps tends to be pulled more to the right( not sure if this is beacuse I'm righthanded)

Whats the best way to stop this? Not sure if it maybe just a bad habbit, also is it better to kick out the rear wheel, I find I can only kick out the back wheel to the right as well, whats the best method for doing it to the left?

I have found that the "natural" direction for tail movement is dependant on your footing.

Just like skateboarders have "natural" and "goofy" footing preferences, so do riders, and funny enough it's kinda linked.

If you skate "natural" (ie left foot forward), you're likely to be most comfortable with your left foot forward when approaching a jump.

Now with your left foot forward, your right foot is closer to the tail, which means it's easier to move the tail with your right foot in the left direction.

You will probably find that when you whip, you'll feel more comfortable scrubbing the face of the jump to the right and whipping the tail left.

Likewise, if you ride right foot forward, you'll feel more comfortable with any right side tail movement.

But yeah, this is just what I've observed concerning the matter

Edited by patches

Interesting talk.

My main issues are also in my head. I'm quite tall (2m), and when i try smallish jumps the bike just does weird things below me, almost always making me almost crash. My bike does tend to throw me over, so i usually end up with a rear wheel in the air (not fun). This of course kills confidence.

Then, I have the pedal dillemma. I like the stability of clip in pedals, but this in turns scares me on the really rough stuff, where i would prefer to be able to move my feet around. But on platform pedals, I get scared my feet lift off the pedals and i crash out.

Dalk is ek net effing bang.

I have found that the "natural" direction for tail movement is dependant on your footing.

Just like skateboarders have "natural" and "goofy" footing preferences, so do riders, and funny enough it's kinda linked.

If you skate "natural" (ie left foot forward), you're likely to be most comfortable with your left foot forward when approaching a jump.

Now with your left foot forward, your right foot is closer to the tail, which means it's easier to move the tail with your right foot in the left direction.

You will probably find that when you whip, you'll feel more comfortable scrubbing the face of the jump to the right and whipping the tail left.

Likewise, if you ride right foot forward, you'll feel more comfortable with any right side tail movement.

But yeah, this is just what I've observed concerning the matter

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm goofy footed on a surfboard/ skateboard. So pedal placement is important?

What do think is the reason for the front wheel, and how could I try stop it from happening, even when I concentrate and try pull the bars evenly, I always seem to pull more with my right arm. As a result I have had a few very nerve racking incidents(no bad wipeouts as yet)

Thanks for the reply :) Im riding a Trance with SPDs

Edited by Caerus

Interesting talk.

My main issues are also in my head. I'm quite tall (2m), and when i try smallish jumps the bike just does weird things below me, almost always making me almost crash. My bike does tend to throw me over, so i usually end up with a rear wheel in the air (not fun). This of course kills confidence.

Then, I have the pedal dillemma. I like the stability of clip in pedals, but this in turns scares me on the really rough stuff, where i would prefer to be able to move my feet around. But on platform pedals, I get scared my feet lift off the pedals and i crash out.

Dalk is ek net effing bang.

Are you riding a hard tail or a full susser? What frame is it? have you lowered your seatpost?

As far as the pedals go... I'm scared of being clipped in during any sort of aerobatics, so I run flat pedals with long pins and wear FiveTen shoes. These give you plenty of grip (making it unlikely for your feet to slip off the pedals when you land.

As for your feet lifting off thepedals when you launch... try sucking your legs in slightly. This will allow the tail to rise, without you feeling like you're going OTB. It also helps keep your pedals in contact with your feet.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'm goofy footed on a surfboard/ skateboard. So pedal placement is important?

What do think is the reason for the front wheel, and how could I try stop it from happening, even when I concentrate and try pull the bars evenly, I always seem to pull more with my right arm. As a result I have had a few very nerve racking incidents(no bad wipeouts as yet)

Thanks for the reply :) Im riding a Trance with SPDs

Check your elbows when you launch. Make sure they're at even levels. If they aren't, you'll tend to drift to one side. Also try pumping with your legs more and less arm work.

Check your elbows when you launch. Make sure they're at even levels. If they aren't, you'll tend to drift to one side. Also try pumping with your legs more and less arm work.

Will do :thumbup: Its not so much the drifting, more that I've pulled the right side of the handlebar more, and its turned the wheel to the right slightly so that when I'm coming to land the wheel is not facing exactly in the direction I want to go, not the best way to land. :(

Thanks for all the tips & info :clap:

and to think that when we were lighties we'd just launch and launch and launch and not think about the consequences. A bail was a bail, and we carried on.

I find that I tense up on the takeoff, then loosen up midair. It's kinda like I'm trying to force the bike skywards, but in the end all it does is make it go flatter and then it puts the jump in danger of being unsuccessful. I do lift my legs though, and the feeling you get when the jump is successful is awesome.

But in terms of trying to do bigger and bigger jumps, I find that the best way (for me, if I'm alone) is to assess where I land on ones that I'm comfortable with, and then gauge if I would land a bigger one, depending on the distance I carried on the smaller one and the size of the kicker on the new one. If I don't do that, then I just go as fast as I can and hope to hell I make it. If I do, then awesome. If not, it's a graze or 2 and a bruised ego. But I try it again... Once you let those gremlins take hold, it's frikkin hard to shrug them off again.

What he said :thumbup:

Good tips Nigel.

Especially the RELAX, COMMITMENT, (tensing and hestitation are probably the 2 biggest causes of bails)and try again IMMEDIATELY when you fall (if you are able to of course).

Like you, I have also created a phobia of certain jumps for myself because they spooked me with a bail and I didn't try again as soon as I could.

When one bails (not if, but when... cos it's going to happen), your confidence will be dealt a serious blow. Often this may result in some regression... you won't want to do jumps that you found easy before. Getting back on the bike and trying again ASAP is the best way to combat this.

Thanx gents. Appreciate all the advice. Will give it a bash. There's no turning back now!

How to learn to do bigger jumps?

Give your fear the day off, and go faster.

no body armour/full face helmet, ... that also helps with giving you a bit more courage

Got M Bell Bellistic, S/M 661 Short Sleeve Assault suit lying around. Make me an offer....

Then hit the BIG stuff. :thumbup: