DT Swiss 350 MTB Hub

An3

My DT SWISS 350 Hub's bearings packed up after only 600km (7 months)

LBS said that there was a lot of mud and crap inside the hub.

How does this happen?

My bike has never seen a pressure washer and I've never abused my bike. (Went through the same puddles as hundreds of other cyclists)

I am concerned about the reliability of this hub. (I do not exactly want to spend R350 every 600km)

LBS said "nobody" will warrant worn bearings.

Local Bike Rep said that I should contact the DT SWISS rep (In Gauteng) but no contact details were given.

Any ideas?

Edited by An3

My DT SWISS 350 Hub's bearings packed up after only 600km (7 months)

LBS said that there was a lot of mud and crap inside the hub.

How does this happen?

My bike has never seen a pressure washer and I've never abused my bike. (Went through the same puddles as hundreds of other cyclists)

I am concerned about the reliability of this hub. (I do not exactly want to spend R350 every 600km)

LBS said "nobody" will warrant worn bearings.

Local Bike Rep said that I should contact the DT SWISS rep (In Gauteng) but no contact details were given.

Any ideas?

It is called SWISS for a reason - it is like SWISS cheese - full of holes. But replacing the bearings is not rocket science. Learn to DIY and save. Or, get other hubs/wheels.

Dt Swiss ain't bad wheels but the bearings, especially the freehuib body, is a bit of a letdown.

On the other hand, I have had my X1800's now for 3 years and they are bomb proof and still running true.

Contact DT Swiss at dtsupport@mweb.co.za

Yip.. i feel your pain. MY 350 rear hub felt rough after about 400 to 500 km's. I just kept riding and at about 1000+ km's they feel better then at 400km. But they need a service.

Same problem with my American classics, had to cough up R500 to replace all 4 bearings. but I did +-2000ks on them &lots of hard ridding. Need to learn how service|\replace them myself

On this thread, for interest sake :) what are the most robust (i.e. bullet proof) hubs? Don't need to be light, just durable....

hope pro 2 hubs are the business and carry a 5 year warranty if memory serves me correct

There is no fault with the DT Swiss hubs. People have told me that Shimano hubs are terrible but when asked when the hubs were last serviced I get a blank expression back from the customer...also taking your bike to your LBS doesn't mean they service the hubs, so be specific when asking what you want done in the service. I have had full on rows with customers because they bring their bikes in once a week for a wash and lube service but then when the hubs pack up (or BB/chain etc)they argue that the bike is in every week for a service...

Techguy - educate me please! If I take my bike in for regular maintenance to my LBS and, because I do not know, assume that the cleaning and lubing involves checking all components that require cleaning and lubing including the hubs, then I am obviously not getting what I thought I was getting. Therefore, how often to I need to specify the service needed to ensure those things not covered by a 'wash and lube' get done presuming that I ride fairly often, i.e. approx. 4 ride a week? Thanks!