Stripped Crank Arm

zaShadow

Idiot me stripped the thread of my one SLX crank arm (where the pedal attaches to the crank arm; had no idea the one pedal's thread is opposite direction).

Is it possible to dril it out, tap it and retread it?

If so, where can this be done, and what can I expect to pay?

~ I hope my terminology is right...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Idiot me stripped the thread of my one SLX crank arm (where the pedal attaches to the crank arm; had no idea the one pedal's thread is opposite direction).

Is it possible to dril it out, tap it and retread it?

If so, where can this be done, and what can I expect to pay?

~ I hope my terminology is right...

It's gonna be cheaper and quicker to get a new crank.

It can't be rethreaded, since the thread is now gone and hence, the hole bigger than the pedal.

You can get some steel gadget that fits into a larger hole, but I have no idea where to source it. It would be useful to know.

Terminology? Since you asked. It is crank, not crankarm. We refer to that hole as the pedal eye. Tapping and rethreading is essentially the same thing.

All pedals are the same thread type and diameter so drilling and retapping to a bigger hole you will need to have a helicoil fitted. This will be costly as engineering shops charge by the hour if you can find one that will do it for you.

All pedals are the same thread type and diameter so drilling and retapping to a bigger hole you will need to have a helicoil fitted. This will be costly as engineering shops charge by the hour if you can find one that will do it for you.

Ja, but this is a left-hand thread. There ain't no Helicoil that is gonna do that job.

Rusty, I've putchased a couple of helicoil kits in the last year or two. I can gaurantee you that that the tap for a left hand thread in pedal size (9/16th) will cost about R1 000-00. That excludes, hassel, cost of the coil itself and labour.

A new crank is the cheapest alternative.

Rusty, I've putchased a couple of helicoil kits in the last year or two. I can gaurantee you that that the tap for a left hand thread in pedal size (9/16th) will cost about R1 000-00. That excludes, hassel, cost of the coil itself and labour.

A new crank is the cheapest alternative.

I agree with you 100% JB. Thats why I said it will be costly.

Just for info

Price for a 9/16 RH and LH repair kit without shipping. You can do the math!!

STK9/16-20RHLH9/16-20 STI Repair Kit (10) STK9/16-20RHL$220.95

Just for interest sake: cant you tap it from the inside (closest to the frame) and insert the coil from there as well? You'll have to cut the last bit of the coil to allow threading from the outer/other side...

Edited by ichnusa

Just for interest sake: cant you tap it from the inside (closest to the frame) and insert the coil from there as well? You'll have to cut the last bit of the coil to allow threading from the outer/other side...

A left hand thread started from the back or the front is still a left hand thread.

Think about it. A glass of red wine may assist the process.

not sure that i agree... why is the BB thread the way it is? "right side is wrong and left side is right" and it has been tapped by a single thread

am i being a stupid wannabe?

It's gonna be cheaper and quicker to get a new crank.

It can't be rethreaded, since the thread is now gone and hence, the hole bigger than the pedal.

You can get some steel gadget that fits into a larger hole, but I have no idea where to source it. It would be useful to know.

Terminology? Since you asked. It is crank, not crankarm. We refer to that hole as the pedal eye. Tapping and rethreading is essentially the same thing.

Touche' that it is stuffed. You are in for a new crankarm mate.

As to terminology. It is re-threaded/ing, not retreaded (that's for tyres)

The whole is a crankset, consisting of two crankarms, 1, 2 or 3 chainrings, with a bottom bracket in-between. As you have discovered, the thread on each pedal is different, and in both instances TIGHTENS toward the front of the bicycle (which makes perfect sense when you think about it). It is however something you will now remember eternally.

Crankarms can also be referred to as cranks. But then so can grumpy old men. :lol:

Check out CJ75 advert in classifieds. Am trying to get him to 'break' up his groupset. :D