MTB Mud guards: a Thumbs up or a BIG No-No

Tazza007

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After my ride on sunday, I realised I should have attached my rear mudgaurd. My only issue is that it is too long and doesnt protect the pivot points on a rear suspension. So after reading this thread I got an Idea and made the following. I need to still test and also excuse the dirty bike I was too eager to get the mudgaurd on and my bike will definately be clean by the nest time that I ride. I still have to make myself a front one too.

Nice one Riyadh...

kinda reminds me of the one on the Morewood Makulu frames.

As far as rear mudguards go, small tucked-away ones are the only type that look ok in my books.

http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/photos/1/_/large/Morewood_Makulu_Frame.jpg

After my ride on sunday, I realised I should have attached my rear mudgaurd. My only issue is that it is too long and doesnt protect the pivot points on a rear suspension. So after reading this thread I got an Idea and made the following. I need to still test and also excuse the dirty bike I was too eager to get the mudgaurd on and my bike will definately be clean by the nest time that I ride. I still have to make myself a front one too.

I need to make one for my Sanction, what did you use to make it?

The THE downtube mudguards don't work so cool on flatter tubes like the Giants. I also had the long Topeak front one and it lasted all of 30 minutes on the bike :blush:

The THE downtube mudguards don't work so cool on flatter tubes like the Giants. I also had the long Topeak front one and it lasted all of 30 minutes on the bike :blush:

Yeah, the rounded section on the THE ones is made for quite a small diameter round downtube.

When I had that one on the yeti, it seemed to work ok (eventhough the downtube was large and not so round) because of the cable guides running along either either side of the downtube. They seemed to stop the mudguard from moding side-to-side.

I also had the long Topeak front one and it lasted all of 30 minutes on the bike :blush:

Haha! I borrowed one for a wet race to see if it was worth buying one. Mine lasted a bit longer (about 45min) I ate mud for +2hrs. Needless to say I never bought a Toppeak. I am thinking about the THE one though but use the inner tube for now...

Nice it will work well in muddy water and Your may find your back wheel jamming up faster in sticky mud there will be less space for the mud to fly off the tire.

Nice one Riyadh...

kinda reminds me of the one on the Morewood Makulu frames.

As far as rear mudguards go, small tucked-away ones are the only type that look ok in my books.

http://fstatic1.mtb-news.de/img/photos/1/_/large/Morewood_Makulu_Frame.jpg