Buying Mavic road wheels from CRC

EggsBox

Hi guys,

Will there be any issues in buying Mavic wheels from CRC.

I see they have a 'Not available outside EU' notice

(But the site still allows you to buy...)

Why don't you email then and find out, I also wanted Mavic's but that policy made me re-think.

I have purchased XTR wheels from them, no problems

Check the local price. Crown Cycles have advertised Cosmic SL's here for 7.5k which is cheaper than CRC. My mate bought Cosmic SL's from Solomon's last week for about the same as it would have cost landed from CRC, with a local warranty. New price, limited stock though.

I have bought wheels built with Mavic rims without hassles.

What! And Dragons didn't have the task force come and take you away for water boarding yet?

Thanks.

The problem with the local guys are, that they either don't have stock or they don't know what you are looking for. Ordering on-line is so much easier.

I have heard horror stories of getting Mavic wheels repaired in SA so think about local service, spares etc. (6 months for a broken spoke and it still has a pig tail twist in it)

CRC are contractually prohibited to ship Mavic products outside the EU. But hey , if they allow you to proceed to checkout and all the rest, you have nothing to lose. They can possibly get into a bit of trouble with Mavic, but that is about it ;)

The horror stories are because mavic didn't used to have a good importer. Recently Dragons took over and you can get spares no problem. Also if you talk to your local bike shop very nicely and quote the CRC price you'll get your wheels cheaper. If you bike shop don't know what you're talking 'bout change shops, if they cant match CRC, change shops.

One more thing, if you're buying MTB wheels, don't. Mavic have yet to update that stupid bushing on the freewheel that goes all the time if you're riding in messy stuff, and we wont mention how flexy the wheels are either.