Bike for newbies

awesme

Hi all

My Fiance and myself are looking at joining some friends that go MTB'ing every weekend, with luck it wil go into some casual races and wknd trips down the road.

I've set myself a R10K budget for the bike, requirements I've set also are Full suspension front and back and disc brakes.

So far the bikes I've narrowed down onto are the KTM Comp 3.0 2011 and the Marida One-Twenty 500 2011.

Who knows these two bikes, hows the specs of each,any other comments

Extra little bits that I will also get:

Helmet

Gloves

Shirt

Pants

Camel Pack.

(I'll do clip in's later, bikes come with pedal's that flat on the one side and clip in on the other)

Might spend a couple of bucks on a cheap computer to record distance and time to keep track on sweat left behind... :)

G

Edited by awesme

Go for the one that you like the look of. The one that you want to ride. Merida is a solid brand, been around for yonks. KTM is the newbie in the market but seem to have some decent stuff. Add some budget for doing a tubelesss conversion.

Bottom line when buying a bike, spend as much as you can afford.

Merida.

I am seriously surprised at how badly specced the KTM is.

KTM need a couple more years to get their bikes right but theyre doing a mighty fine job getting there and they look damn nice.

One-Twenty for me :thumbup:

Merida also has unprecedented backup, never ever heard of a problem that hasnt been fixed quick stix and theres a lot of them around.

They dont come with flats on the one side though. its just a test plate that clips into the pedal where the cleat usually does, shimano request all LBSs to remove it before sale. its just for riding around the car park.

Helmet, I just got myself a new fox flux (R850) and loving it. its definately not something to take lightly and you need to try spend a bit more here, you dont want something thatl break with one lil hit. good okes are Giro, Bell, Rudy Project and Fox.

Gloves, full finger or nothing thanks, also love fox gloves and pair well with wing grips.

Shirt, all personal preference

Pants, My perrenial enduros... love em.

and camel pack has to be CamelBak.

Computer, a good one, get a suunto watch. otherwise any cheap one should suffice.

Hi there

Thanks for the pointers, I come from the quad family and have done thousands of Km's, I had a couple of scary off's and I'm walking still because I did no go cheap on safety gear. Helmet is first, quality is valued.

Thanks for the pointer on the bike's, was starting to lean towards the Merida.

G

Merida.

I am seriously surprised at how badly specced the KTM is.

KTM need a couple more years to get their bikes right but theyre doing a mighty fine job getting there and they look damn nice.

One-Twenty for me :thumbup:

Merida also has unprecedented backup, never ever heard of a problem that hasnt been fixed quick stix and theres a lot of them around.

They dont come with flats on the one side though. its just a test plate that clips into the pedal where the cleat usually does, shimano request all LBSs to remove it before sale. its just for riding around the car park.

Helmet, I just got myself a new fox flux (R850) and loving it. its definately not something to take lightly and you need to try spend a bit more here, you dont want something thatl break with one lil hit. good okes are Giro, Bell, Rudy Project and Fox.

Gloves, full finger or nothing thanks, also love fox gloves and pair well with wing grips.

Shirt, all personal preference

Pants, My perrenial enduros... love em.

and camel pack has to be CamelBak.

Computer, a good one, get a suunto watch. otherwise any cheap one should suffice.

Hi there

Thanks for the pointers, I come from the quad family and have done thousands of Km's, I had a couple of scary off's and I'm walking still because I did no go cheap on safety gear. Helmet is first, quality is valued.

Thanks for the pointer on the bike's, was starting to lean towards the Merida.

G

I also came from quads. No broken bones with quads, one in my first six months of bikes so watch eowt.

Tubeless conversion is also very importante. maybe put on some nice scwalbe tyres or something at the same time, not really worth converting the merida cheapy tyres.(if its even possible)

Merida! I ride Road and MTB Merida. I have the 96 MTB... Love it! Best value for money IMO

Don't forget about Scott, they make a mean bike.

If I'm going to buy another KTM, I will trade in my 200XCW motorbike for a new 200XCW. The KTM bicycles look cool, but not sure if I would buy one. Heard about too many horror shows with their warranty etc. Merida are also good bikes, and have an excellent warranty and support programme.

Hi there

When it comes to tweelies and quads these days KTM is a vey serious competitor. Their quads for one come totally kitted out, there is very little you need to add/customize.

but we're digressing, as far as MTB is concerned I'm leaning towards the One-Twenty.

G

Don't forget about Scott, they make a mean bike.

If I'm going to buy another KTM, I will trade in my 200XCW motorbike for a new 200XCW. The KTM bicycles look cool, but not sure if I would buy one. Heard about too many horror shows with their warranty etc. Merida are also good bikes, and have an excellent warranty and support programme.

Ride as many different bikes as possible until you find one that suits your body and riding style.

Take your time and as Zula explained if you can extend you budget to include other bits a pieces do it, otherwise you'll be upgrading in a month.

Last point, look at second hand bikes, you can pick up a cracking deal on high spec bikes for stupid prices, and sellers are very negotiable.

Try the thehub classifieds or gumtree. Just get someone who knows bikes to have a look at it before you buy.

• 3 weeks later...