Worth havin a DH or FR bike?

mad bout mtb

Worth havin a DH or FR bike?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Sort of bike for riding in JHB

• Downhill bike (8 Inch)
    • Freeride bike(7 inch)
    • Trail/All mountain bike(5inch and up)

The only issue I have with my Joplin is the the fact that there is a bit of movement if you grab the seat and twist it. (Not a lot though) and the fact that when it is down and you lift the bike by the seat it moves up freely. What is the Reverb or the KS like regarding these issues?

Well my KS is solid, cant comment on the reverb , I know my friend hasnt mentioned anything about it on his reverb.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that is pushing me towards the KS is the 5" drop. I have found that the 3" on the Joplin just isn't enough for me. :thumbdown:

I think all dropper posts are a bit of a ball-ache. Having said that I'm not so patiently waiting for my Joplin 3.

Hey Omega Man,

Why did you go for the Joplin 3? I am assuming that cost was one motivating factor...

Guest Omega Man

Hey Omega Man,

Why did you go for the Joplin 3? I am assuming that cost was one motivating factor...

Yup. got it for under 1k from crc. Plus i'm about 3 foot 2 so the 3 inches should be ok. I'm putting it on my DH bike along with a 34 tooth chainring on the front and a cassette that goes up to 36 on the rear.

Yup. got it for under 1k from crc. Plus i'm about 3 foot 2 so the 3 inches should be ok. I'm putting it on my DH bike along with a 34 tooth chainring on the front and a cassette that goes up to 36 on the rear.

That's why I bought mine came from CRC as well). I still like the KS though! Mine is on a 6" trail bike. I would really like the extra 2"! I am thinking of building a 1x9 HT with a long travel fork. Maybe even a SS so I might use the Joplin 3 on that if it fits and buy the KS for the trail bike. So many options, so little money... :(

Droppers:

I have owned these three:

Joplin 2/5

Service issues, lots of play, saddle clamp is a pain, 3 and even 4" is not enough...couldnt wait to get it off my bike!

KS 4/5

Reliable, almost no play, 5" is enough for 90% of AM riding, easy to service, has local back-up

Reverb 4.5/5

So far its been reliable, easy to bleed, no cable stretch issues, great local back-up, can adjust speed, 5" AS ABOVE

I have demoed:

Spez:

Over-prized POS. Why try to go ultimate light BEFORE you have reliability. They have had several issues with seals.

Gravity Dropper

Does the trick. Only downer is price, local back up and the agricultural look.

So...if you have a KS, stick with it. If you're buying new go with a Reverb.

I agree with the thinking of sticking with a 6" bike. I have one and can ride most trails in CT. If its a Reign and not a Reign X then consider upgrading some or other time. The X is slacker with an overall more sorted geo for AM riding.

Droppers:

I have owned these three:

Joplin 2/5

Service issues, lots of play, saddle clamp is a pain, 3 and even 4" is not enough...couldnt wait to get it off my bike!

KS 4/5

Reliable, almost no play, 5" is enough for 90% of AM riding, easy to service, has local back-upReverb 4.5/5

So far its been reliable, easy to bleed, no cable stretch issues, great local back-up, can adjust speed, 5" AS ABOVE

I have demoed:

Spez:

Over-prized POS. Why try to go ultimate light BEFORE you have reliability. They have had several issues with seals.

Gravity Dropper

Does the trick. Only downer is price, local back up and the agricultural look.

So...if you have a KS, stick with it. If you're buying new go with a Reverb.

Must admit when i broke the elbow that comes out the remote , my replacment was here day after ordering from :thumbup: JHB

Any thoughts on the Mongoose Teocali Elite? Not up there with the Reign I know, but considering the price I paid, it has served me well so far. Switching from XC geometry to the slacker head angle did take some getting used to but so far so good.

ok so what i gather from all of this is that i shud stick to my reign and use that as a DH/AM/FR bike. One last question, does having a coil shock make a big difference?oh and does anybody know the limit of suspension travel i can have on the front ?

Edited by mad bout mtb

Hey mbm

I put a coil on the back of my 2006 Reign and it felt horrible. For some reason, the Manitou 3-way Swinger works really nicely on that bike. I also ran mine with a Fox 36 Talas 160-130-100 up front. It felt really good on 160, but I wouldn't go any more than that. That said, there are a bunch of guys running that bike with Triple Crown forks (180 and 200 seem to have the same A2C measurement)

If you want better balance with a longer travel fork, swap out the rear shock (currently 200x50.3mm) for a 200x57mm. Apparently the frame can handle it and it gives you 6.75" of rear travel (check MTBR.com for details)

I'd say YES! DH and FR bikes are awesome... so you should have one... just cos!

Heck, I had a DH as well as a FR bike at the same time... (although I came to my senses, sold the FR bike and got a 4X bike).

But if I had the money I would have all three bikes in the poll... DH, FR and AM

patches, are you riding this weekend? We were thinking about taking our chances at the DHL line.

Hey mbm

I put a coil on the back of my 2006 Reign and it felt horrible. For some reason, the Manitou 3-way Swinger works really nicely on that bike. I also ran mine with a Fox 36 Talas 160-130-100 up front. It felt really good on 160, but I wouldn't go any more than that. That said, there are a bunch of guys running that bike with Triple Crown forks (180 and 200 seem to have the same A2C measurement)

If you want better balance with a longer travel fork, swap out the rear shock (currently 200x50.3mm) for a 200x57mm. Apparently the frame can handle it and it gives you 6.75" of rear travel (check MTBR.com for details)

So u rekon I should keep the Maintou and not get a DHX 4? Nolipoli? any hints on setting it up?

patches, are you riding this weekend? We were thinking about taking our chances at the DHL line.

On saturday I'll be doing the 20km Nissan Hazeldean race in the morning... then straight to do some jumps. More than likely DHL around 11-11:30ish.

Was there this last saturday and had a ball! Was also good to see MissionS back on the bike since his last visit to DHL :blink:

Also wanna try fix up the scout hall line. Only issue is that I came off hard yesterday and my knee is raw... so I can't wear knee guards at the moment... so I may be a bit weary of the big 3 on DHL.

Edited by patches

So u rekon I should keep the Maintou and not get a DHX 4? Nolipoli? any hints on setting it up?

In reality, I guess I am not being completely fair on the coil instead of Swinger idea. I put in a Fox Vanilla shock (no reservoir), which is a world away from a DHX4. What is the i2i and stroke of the DHX4?

I can also tell you that the Swinger on my 2006 Reign performed way better than the RP23 on my 2011 Reign.

I guess it comes down to how hard you want to ride. I ride much harder now than I used to, but I also choose between a Reign X1 and a Reign 0 depending what I am planning to do. For the bigger stuff, including jumping, it is Reign X all the way.

What that really means (given the similarity between the two bikes), is that the coil suspension feels better on the rough stuff.