Clipless VS Flats - one man's opinion

wesley_r

BOTH! Its really really good to ride flats when you are stuffing around on the trails etc as it forces you to feel the bike and makes you learn to ride it properly.

HOWEVER - when it comes to racing! - Clips all the way! Even for DH! Its just so much FASTER

There's the problem with clipless. If you can't jump a bike with flats then you're using the wrong technique. It might serve you ok now to jump by pulling up on the clipless pedals, but the motion is wrong, and at some point if you want to go bigger and stick decent air this wont help you to flow and stay balanced in the air. Edit - as well as air, proper bunny hop technique is essential to clearing logs and things on trails. If you jump with clipped feet, you are likely to lift the whole bike at once. Proper technique sees the front lift first, clear the obstacle, then the back feet come up with the back end. It's an extension of the manual.

AAAH the good old Roadie-style full-bike bunnyhop (and before i get the haters bearing down on me ... i used to do it too ... when i was 3 :P ) - the WORST part of bike handling brought about by Clipless! ... thats why you need to learn/goof around on flats too as grb285 and banna say!

5.10's and a pair of 5050 flats.

Vans (waffle sole, gotta love it) and DMR V12s. Not as sticky as 5.10s but damn close. And yes, I use the "wipe your feet" technique when pedalling - you'll be amazed at how effective it is with the right shoes / pedals :thumbup:

There's the problem with clipless. If you can't jump a bike with flats then you're using the wrong technique. It might serve you ok now to jump by pulling up on the clipless pedals, but the motion is wrong, and at some point if you want to go bigger and stick decent air this wont help you to flow and stay balanced in the air. Edit - as well as air, proper bunny hop technique is essential to clearing logs and things on trails. If you jump with clipped feet, you are likely to lift the whole bike at once. Proper technique sees the front lift first, clear the obstacle, then the back feet come up with the back end. It's an extension of the manual.

The pedal stroke point is also subjective (as the article linked points out). I'm happy to hit the most badass trail you like with my 5.10's and a pair of 5050 flats. My feet don't move. If your feet are bouncing off the pedals it means you are not working with the bike. Think of horse riding. You don't need to be clipped in to trot. You move dynamically with the horse. Same principle.

Interesting comments. Yup, you definately change the way you ride when you're clipped in. And ja, I guess from a DH/FR point of view, clipless probably does make you lazy in terms of proper jump technique.

I'm anti-clipless all the way. Can't stand the damn things. The "twist to undo" movement is unnatural and not instinctual in a possible accident scenario. I use old fashioned toe clips with my road bikes and, when on a MTB, prefer flats so I can use my feet as part of my overall technique.

The only time I've ever fallen at the "lights" is because of not being able to release my toe clips in time. That was almost 25 years ago. I find clipless alot easier to get in and out of.

Vans (waffle sole, gotta love it) and DMR V12s. Not as sticky as 5.10s but damn close. And yes, I use the "wipe your feet" technique when pedalling - you'll be amazed at how effective it is with the right shoes / pedals :thumbup:

The Vans soles are not hard enough for me. The 5.10s have quite a rigid sole. I feel I get better energy transfer this way, and trust me, I need it, I'm a weakling!

The Vans soles are not hard enough for me. The 5.10s have quite a rigid sole. I feel I get better energy transfer this way, and trust me, I need it, I'm a weakling!

I would have bought 5.10s ages ago but for one thing - availability. the guys importing them couldn't give me a straight answer on when they'd have my size. not content to import myself (and pay duties, and hope they fit right) I simply bought a pair of Vans.

I would have bought 5.10s ages ago but for one thing - availability. the guys importing them couldn't give me a straight answer on when they'd have my size. not content to import myself (and pay duties, and hope they fit right) I simply bought a pair of Vans.

I'm assuming this is City Rock you were talking to? Since they have a lot of 5.10's in stock, even if they don't have your size you could still go and size up a pair, and ship them in yourself. It's so worth it. I went from riding in Vans to these and the diffs is chalk and cheese. These shoes don't budge! But ja, they also told me they'd have no idea when they would get their stock in.

I'm assuming this is City Rock you were talking to? Since they have a lot of 5.10's in stock, even if they don't have your size you could still go and size up a pair, and ship them in yourself. It's so worth it. I went from riding in Vans to these and the diffs is chalk and cheese. These shoes don't budge! But ja, they also told me they'd have no idea when they would get their stock in.

yeah, city rock. when my Vans die I'll try for some 5.10s :thumbup: that's going to take a while though. The pair I got has a slightly stiffer sole than most - pretty much perfect for riding...

I got myself a set of pedals that is flat on the one side and clips in the other, when I go around the block with the kids, I only wear normal takkies but when I go off-road, I take out the shoes and clip in, had a few embarrasing fall off.(into a muddy flei nogal)

Never seen a motorcross rider with clipless...

Never seen a 10kg motorcross bike either.....