Which MTB to buy?

heed0

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As my name suggests - take the Merida. But that is just my personal view and based on nothing particularly factual. I have that bike, but last years model and I absolutely love it.

The truth is that most bikes in the same price range are probably very similar and there is not much in it either way, so it does come down to personal preference.

As a beginner if you like your bike you will ride it more. Once you start getting better you will starting learning exactly what you are looking for and can start upgrading.

Nuff said. Welcome to the addictive world of MTB.

I have a Silverback Ventura XL it weighs 12.5kg stock standerd. http://www.silverbacklab.com/2011/ventura.jpg I got it for R6500 from finishline cycles. If you want something that looks good go for the new momsen 29er carbon. My girlfriend has to pull me away from the bikeshop window each time we walk by.... Silverback is RAD get over yourself and get one!

P.s The Ventura has better brakes, shock and rims if I'm not mistaken also it has sealed hubs and bearings so mud is no issue and it needs less maintinence.

Pieter, both of those are outside his range of R 5,000 max. A 30% hike in the amount he has to shell out isn't exactly achievable....

yes his right, max at 5k

I see the 2 mtb's have different forks... which is better?

Edited by heed0

XCR is a pretty alright fork, but at that price point you're not going to get a fantastic fork. Neither of them are really open to tuning or replacing of cartridges, and they're both Elastomer Spring forks.

My vote is still Scott. My feeling is that the fork is the first thing you'll upgrade.

any good-buy mtb's for sale 5k and less in cape town, let me know (which IS better than the scott aspect 30)

About the scott aspect 30, is it a good frame to keep and upgrade the parts later?

Perfectly good. The frame is constant across the Scott range, and wouldn't be crap if it were. Damn, I bought a 5k bike and I've upgraded it. Hasn't broken yet. Damn good platform to go on....

Perfectly good. The frame is constant across the Scott range, and wouldn't be crap if it were. Damn, I bought a 5k bike and I've upgraded it. Hasn't broken yet. Damn good platform to go on....

Thanks alot, just the info I need