Which MTB to buy?

heed0

when looking to upgrade the fork of a medium mtb, what steering length must I look out for and is their any other details I should know?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

steering tube length will be standard on a new fork, and it will need to be cut with a hacksaw when you install it to get the right length for your bike. This is very easy, I did it with mine. Just remember to file it smooth again, and measure EXACTLY the same length as the one you're replacing before you cut. Check 3 times, check again, then cut.

For a 2nd hand fork, measure the distance between the top of your stem to the top of the fork crown, and you'll have the length you need to look for before you commit to a purchase.

steering tube length will be standard on a new fork, and it will need to be cut with a hacksaw when you install it to get the right length for your bike. This is very easy, I did it with mine. Just remember to file it smooth again, and measure EXACTLY the same length as the one you're replacing before you cut. Check 3 times, check again, then cut.

For a 2nd hand fork, measure the distance between the top of your stem to the top of the fork crown, and you'll have the length you need to look for before you commit to a purchase.

So must take my standard fork I have now and measure that?

no, sorry - must have missed something in translation, or my explanation was ***. I'll go for the former option, thank you :)

All new forks come with a standardized steerer tube lengh. Thus, they are all of equal length when they come out the factory. Generally in the region of 350mm or so.

Therefore, you don't need to know what length your current steerer tube is if you're going ot be buying a NEW fork (ie: one that hasnt been cut yet) as you are the person who is going to cut it to the proper length just before you install it.

If, on the other hand, you are buying a SECOND HAND fork, or a demo one which has already had the steering tube cut (sometimes bike shops have these as clients might have swopped out a fork that came with a bike for a higher spec one, therefore the steerer tube would already have been cut to fit that bike) THEN you will have to measure the distance between the top of your stem and the top of the fork's crown (the metal bit that the 2 fork arms connect to)

Measure before you buy, and measure 3 times to be sure. Unless you're buying a new fork. Then you nly have to measure before you cut the new one down to size.

Or, you could take the existing fork off and just measure its steerer tube, but that's giving you a bit more work than you need.

Edited by cptmayhem

THEN you will have to measure the distance between the top of your stem and the top of the fork's crown (the metal bit that the 2 fork arms connect to)

Measure before you buy, and measure 3 times to be sure. Unless you're buying a new fork. Then you nly have to measure before you cut the new one down to size.

so if I get the measurements of the fork I want to buy, what do I do next?

eg. If there is an ad of a fork that says 180mm steering length then how would I know if its gona fit for a medium frame?

Edited by heed0