10-spds in DH

Capricorn

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think 10spds in DH make sense.

• Yes
    • No

The only advantage I can think of (and the reasoning the ridiculous roadies use to justify their overkill on gears) is that there is the potential to run slightly closer gear ratios, in the hope of always being in the "right" gear...

*disclaimer* - at this point in my life I am a die-hard single-speeder, and realise that the "right" gear is the one you are in (esp cos there is no choice about the matter clap.gif)

oh snap patches :P Flame on hey? hahahaha

http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/johnnyd2723-albums-other+stuff-picture150998-flame-suit.jpg

haha!

i hear the close ratio argument quite often, but I dont quite see it's applicability in downhill racing. I can definitely see it from a roadie's perspective. But for DH, I dunno, maybe it's a personal preference thing.

Personally, less is better, as I prefer not to think while I'm trying to stop that berm from slashing me..

im still on 9 speed on the Fury - but id say the 10 speed stuff thats out there is just because the manufacturers are using the racing for product testing. Also its probably due to a lack of options where the cassettes are often not all single cogs spacered on the module. If it was possible i'd say that most guys would change the ratios to be specific to each track. I know that like at the Giba track i only shift twice PER run and each time its a double shift ... so if you could get a shifter that you could set the max number of shifts you needed and then set up the cassette accordingly that would make more sense.

You guys say you dont use your big gears??? you not pedalling hard enough then! :P :P :P :P HAHAHA on the world cup track at the end i am maxed out on my 11 tooth! and the same at the Giba DH track as you are pedalling down some seriously steep sections!

Edited by nigelhicks

Personal preference win's it....whatever works for you! I'm running a 9 speed road cassette on my DH bike, gets you up to speed pretty quickly it does, but then so do the steep as hell Andes!

When you in full on DH shuttling mode that DT Swiss 6spd is plenty, but remember all track are different and have different gradients which need different geering. So if money wasn't an object I would go for 10spd, there aren't any disadvantages, unless u a SERIOUS weight weeni.