Which Computer / Where

awesme

How does our local stores think to keep us as loyal customers if we can get a computer like this at more than 30% less online.

dammmmm, makes me rethink about allot of things,

coffee time.

G

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does our local stores think to keep us as loyal customers if we can get a computer like this at more than 30% less online.

dammmmm, makes me rethink about allot of things,

coffee time.

G

Do a search on this forum, there are plenty of online shopping related threads.

Save just a wee bit more and get the Edge 500, its worth it!

post-4352-0-86643100-1309459587.jpg

That includes HR & Speed/Cadence bundle, no additional accessories required.

Does that Garmin Edge 500 come with a stand to put on your tv stand and is it HD ready? The screen surely seems big enough

Thats what I especially like bout it, easy to read,

G

Does that Garmin Edge 500 come with a stand to put on your tv stand and is it HD ready? The screen surely seems big enough

Actually, I wouldn't even spend money on a dedicated cycle computer. I'd get a polar bluetooth HRM strap, and use my phone.

+1 :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ordered a bluetooth Polar HRM from Sports Tracker. Got it in less than n10 days from Finland. :clap:

Turned my Cheapy cellphone into a full on Computer. You can also export the activity as a .gpx file and analyze with SportsTracks. Its really pretty good.

how do you mount your phone on your handle bar??

what if it rains or muddy mtb?

pretty useless if the phone is in you back pocket, just as good as riding without a computer!

pretty useless if the phone is in you back pocket, just as good as riding without a computer!

I hardly ever look at my computer or phone when I ride. I use em to collect data to analyse afterwards.

Hi

Because of cost I'm relooking options, (don't make mistake, I do love the Garmin edge 500 look), just cost between everything else.

Looking between the CS200cad and CS400,

Whichever it is will be via CRC, got a mate that stays in the UK and I'm there in 2 weeks so can just collect from him. safe customs duty's etc.

Is the extra features on the CS400 worth it. Does anyone have it?

I see the CS400 does not come with the Cadence sensor. any idea bout the cost?

I can not see from write ups, interfacing it with a computer, does the cables come with, and then I use a Apple MAC, anyone know if the Polar software is Apple friendly.

G

Hi

Because of cost I'm relooking options, (don't make mistake, I do love the Garmin edge 500 look), just cost between everything else.

Whichever it is will be via CRC, got a mate that stays in the UK and I'm there in 2 weeks so can just collect from him. safe customs duty's etc.

I can not see from write ups, interfacing it with a computer, does the cables come with, and then I use a Apple MAC, anyone know if the Polar software is Apple friendly.

G

There is a long history of poor support for OS X from Polar. I've owned a CS200 and CS500 and I highly recommend you get the Garmin.

Hi

G

Ive used the CS400 for years on my mtb and road bike.

Yes the bike computer works well and the software is also pretty good.

My biggest issue has been with with the chest straps. The mesh type which the computer comes with in the box is krap because it stops working after about 6 months of use (yes i have tried all the various washing tips).

Also anothe r irritant (for me) is the chest straps for the cs400 do not work with the polar RS800 (running watch) so if you end up doing a triathlon you have to perform a polar waltz during the race.

Polar software for Mac seems a bit iffy, i have heard someone whinge about it before, check the polar site as well

http://www.polar.fi/en/support/faqs?product=&category=Software&documenttitle=Polar+ProTrainer%2FPPP+SW+compatibility+with+Mac&document=/gip/PKBStoGIP.nsf/web_cat/C225742500419A8AC2257360004A024F

Polar ProTrainer 5 is not supported for Mac. But there is a workaround....

GPS based computers are the way to go and the Garmin as described above will be the best option at the moment.

Edited by SwissVan

alternatively try bikeinn.com http://www.bikeinn.com/bike/garmin-edge-500-pack/7443/p. I ordered from them and got my package 2 days later. I was also considering the CS400 but it started getting expensive because you have to buy the cadence sensor extra as well as the irDA USB device to download. Also the speed sensor would only work on the front wheel and I wanted something to also use on the IDT.

The garmins are so feature rich that you are much better off saving up a bit longer.

You won't save money buying in the UK, they charge you 17.5% VAT

Buy the Garmin Edge 500, you won't be sorry

hehehe, and there I was just about to buy the CS400 and now I'm back to start,

Hearing everything you're saying and I do like the Garmin.

Ok so what type of MAC support does the Garmin's have?

nice is the package comes with HR and Cadence included, if i go for the Bundle.

G

I hardly ever look at my computer or phone when I ride. I use em to collect data to analyse afterwards.

You mean you have not yet mastered the skill of posting on the hub with one hand while riding, especially when there are biatch fights going on? ... shame on you! :P

You won't save money buying in the UK, they charge you 17.5% VAT

It's gotten worse. It's now something like 20%.

On the other hand, if you buy it in store from somewhere like Evans Cycles you could fill out a VAT 407 form and get your UK VAT refunded when you leave the country. You could bring it VAT free into SA as part of your R3000 (R2000?) allowance.

You may also be able to claim the VAT if you order it online and get it delivered to one of their stores - you'd need to check with them.

http://www.evanscycles.com/help/vat-duty

Edited by Edman

Even at that VAT rate, compare to SA price, still cheaper, and well if lucky I might get the VAT back at the Heathrow.

G