What is the difference between photochromic and protochromic clear

Inusc

Hi can any body please tell me what the difference is between photochromic and photochromic clear lenses in Rudy Project?

Edited by Inusc

I think the clear starts clear and goes to about 80% dark and the other starts at about 5% and goes to 90% dark.

I think the clear starts clear and goes to about 80% dark and the other starts at about 5% and goes to 90% dark.

Thanks Mampara ,so their is actually no huge difference!

Hi can any body please tell me what the difference is between photochromic and protochromic clear lenses in Rudy Project?

It's simple. Photochromic exists and protochromic doesn't :)

Protochromic may be a Rudy Project marketing term but photochromic is the generic term that describes the chemical process that causes lenses to darken when exposed to light.

Hi can any body please tell me what the difference is between photochromic and photochromic clear lenses in Rudy Project?

Hi there,

Without getting too complicated:

'Photochromic' refers to the fact that the lenses change colour when activated by UV - will go from light to dark.

Photochromic clear, Photochromic red, Photochromic green, etc. refers to the base colour of the lens (before it has been activated or how it would look in the shade - in other words 'clear' goes from clear to dark grey, 'green' from green to dark green, etc.

'clear' and 'red' very nice for cyling (road and MTB).

Hope that helps!

Regards

ag

Hi there,

Without getting too complicated:

'Photochromic' refers to the fact that the lenses change colour when activated by UV - will go from light to dark.

Photochromic clear, Photochromic red, Photochromic green, etc. refers to the base colour of the lens (before it has been activated or how it would look in the shade - in other words 'clear' goes from clear to dark grey, 'green' from green to dark green, etc.

'clear' and 'red' very nice for cyling (road and MTB).

Hope that helps!

Regards

ag

Thanks that helped alot!

What he said.

With pictures. See Rudy website

post-615-0-82490000-1309938269.jpg

post-615-0-42062300-1309938274.jpg

It's simple. Photochromic exists and protochromic doesn't :)

Protochromic may be a Rudy Project marketing term but photochromic is the generic term that describes the chemical process that causes lenses to darken when exposed to light.

Exactly, its marketing mumbo jumbo - there is also photochromatic as well -where does that fit in?

I spoke to my optometrist all about this - they all do the same thing.

Edited by Caerus

Exactly, its marketing mumbo jumbo - there is also photochromatic as well -where does that fit in?

I spoke to my optometrist all about this - they all do the same thing.

And Transition®.

And Transition®.

She said it was the same thing as well. Confused the hell out of me, but she assured me. I stand to be corrected if anyone can show me differant.

She said it was the same thing as well. Confused the hell out of me, but she assured me. I stand to be corrected if anyone can show me differant.

Well, the Garmin Transition Team use to wear Oakleys and they were Photochromatic.

Well, the Garmin Transition Team use to wear Oakley's and they were Photochromatic.

What you trying to say here my good man? Photochromic is the same as photochromatic as is the same as transition. Oakley night call them Photocromatic, then ASG will call them photochromic and then Police may call them Transition lenses.

As I said this is what my optometrist explained to me - Its all marketing. As I said if saomeone can prove otherwiseIm sticking with what I know ;)

The photochromic darker tinted lenses, can also be used to a degree as you would your normal sunglasses i a car, if you are like me that hate having multiple sunnies lying everywhere, i just use my rudy's for pretty much everything.

The clear tint, is useless in a car, as your windscreen blocks most of the UV so the lenses fail to darken and provide protection behind a windscreen. Then again cant blame them the sunnies were designed for the outdoors.

I love the fact that the Clear Photochromic Rudy Swift's I won in a recent Momentum/94.7 Twitter giveaway allows me to wear them at 4:30 in the morning. My Rudy Rydon ll's with Photochromic Red lenses unfortunately don't allow that. :thumbup:

Photochromic = photochromatic.

Transitions is a registered trademark for a photochromic tint produced by Transitions, as is Photofusion (made by Zeiss) as is Colormatic (Rodenstock) etc. There are minor differences in absorption, the newer lenses being more efficient. There are older versions of Transitions available, the latest is Transitions Xtra-active. Transitions 6 is the one still generally prescribed. (Now that is all a load of useless information!)

I use the Photochromic clear.

Clear enough for no moon night rides and becomes dark enough for Cederberg burn your eyeballs February sun.

Most other Rudy Project glasses I've seen use this lens.