Coil shock on a trail / AM rig - yes? no?

wesley_r

I don't really have the cash to do this, but I was wondering what the benefits / down sides to having a coil shock on my Commencal Meta 5.5 (140mm travel) would be? As I see it the coil shock would be heavier, but the issue I have with the air shock is that, being a 110kg+ rider, it has to run at a high pressure and requires regular checking.

In terms of feel, what's the difference? I know it's a bit of a noob question but this is my first full-susser so I'm curious...

Edited by the_wes

You weigh over 110 kg? So do I . Thats why I have a coil spring shock. But i think it will depend on rider style, the kind of shock etc. Although you can blow up a coil shock pretty easily if you are stupid about it.

I once had "recoil shock": in my neck region because the ass of the woman jogging by on the Atlantic Seaboard was just so fine. Does that count? :blush:

I don't really have the cash to do this, but I was wondering what the benefits / down sides to having a coil shock on my Commencal Meta 5.5 (140mm travel) would be? As I see it the coil shock would be heavier, but the issue I have with the air shock is that, being a 110kg+ rider, it has to run at a high pressure and requires regular checking.

In terms of feel, what's the difference? I know it's a bit of a noob question but this is my first full-susser so I'm curious...

would also like to know as i have a Manitou 3 way on mine and thinking of a DHX :unsure:

Guys have you seen the state of the girls (gazelles) running along the Atlantic Seaboard early in the mornings. mid day/ evenings?

Like a thin piece of tendon attached to some phenomenal girly bits, with a nice ass connected for good luck.

I mean.. really?? Is it possible for such exquisite creatures to exist in real life?

Ok sorry.. let me get \back to being Euro-pro wannabe mode.

ya lucky bugger. Me too but still my eyes wonder to the "WONDER" of the running Atlantic Seaboard female form.

Look we also have running woman where I live.. but they more like woman running away from the cops.. not quite the same thing.

Hey The_Wes I think u must start another topic call "ladies on the atlantic seaboard"and see if guys hijack it with the answer we looking for :whistling: :lol:

Coil shocks feel great. They have a linear compression and ramp up really predictably. Just make sure you have a decent piggy back system. Weight, yes they can be heavier, but if the new Cane Creek Ti coil is anything to go by, I think in the years to come we'll see more coils on AM bikes. Trail bike I think it's overkill tbh. A decent large air volume shock is more than fine, and highly tweakable.

That said, once you go coil, it's hard to look back.

oh, and regarding being 110kg. I very much doubt you'll blow out a shock. If you set it up correctly, with the proper amount of sag, I'd reckon you'd break the frame before the shock. They're designed to use high pressure.

Shock absorption was designed for riders who believed that a road that was not tarred still constituted a real riding environment.

It was a poor, yet oddly welcomed gesture, initiated by the 70's hash-kop infested neo-hippies who insisted in hurtling their junkers down those early, seminal, California Hills.

Despite repeated head-strikes against the finest American Granite these pioneers insisted that dirt equaled tar. And from this madness was born the current craze - so called - "Mountain Biking"

Admittedly this craze has survived for some substantial time.. but really now.. dirt.. equals TAR??

Of course all your silly dirt related questions will, in due time, be rendered as inappropriate as any discussion of other riders Bull Knuckles.

The shocks these days are pretty good , air or coil. Air shocks one big problem was that as you use them they heat up, increasing the air pressure and giving a stiffer ride as you go faster. Not ideal. But rockshox seem to have got a cure for that and all the others will follow on. Look how many top dh racers go air these days. Although i think that a good coil is still best even if it weighs a few more grams. Hey we arent roadies after all