Tokai accident 12 July???

Larry King

I think it's JUUUUUST after, Leet. Can't remember exactly. It starts almost halfway along the rock, and wraps around to make the chicken run.

So it's during, and after. If you go fast, and drop like it's hot, then you would normally clear it anyway

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are u allowed to put chicken wire on? not cover the whole thing just some to help with traction?

I dunno mate. Was speaking to PorS about it a while back, but that stuff is vrek expensive and we'd pretty much have to pay for it ourselves.

I dunno mate. Was speaking to PorS about it a while back, but that stuff is vrek expensive and we'd pretty much have to pay for it ourselves.

Hmm ok where's PoS Im sure something can be organised if we allowed ;)

Hope the dude that came off is ok :)

Yeah, Parks put them in, almost straight across (perpindicularly) the main fire road, at a height of approx 20cm. They're very abrupt, especially if you don't know they're there...

Ladder bridge is on My Roots, just by the rock drop.

Enter at the bottom of the fire road, at the hairpin.

Slight drop, into right hander. S bend, small bump (jump it, there's a tree on the right) Gap jump int BEEEEEEERM! small jump. BEEEEEERM! roots, into rock drop - LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT while in the air! There it is! BOOM! landing. Keep it straight! Left natural berm into steep, rutted down section. Up again into a jump, down to a 90 degree right hander, fast. Hard Left BERM! SLOW DOWN! 90 degree right onto bridge over river.

Basically, it helps keep the chicken run nice and rut-free next to the rock drop.

That Rock drop is way easier if you don't try launch off the rock but rather bunny hop over it and use the palette as a landing slope...nice n fast and very gentle.

Did i hear someone removed the palette?

Dv, you seem to be referring to the bridge in Faerie Garden... the one referred to is on My Roots...

But yeah, PorS and I did try to "de-moss" that Faerie Garden bridge recently...

I`m referring to the bridge on the trail just after fairy garden, if riding up from the entrance.

This trail is parallel to the first climb.

Check the pic.

Purple line = normal main jeep track

Red line = Through Fairy garden

Red dot = Where bridge was situated

post-8148-0-09310900-1310562231.jpg

Edited by david16v

Yep - wrong one. The one they're talking about is just after a rock drop, which that section of My Roots doesn't have. The rock drop is about halfway through the trail. It's not really a bridge though, more of a pallet that's been placed on the ground to provide a bridge to land on.

I know what you mean about that being treacherous when wet though!

Edited by cptmayhem

I`m referring to the bridge on the trail just after fairy garden, if riding up from the entrance.

This trail is parallel to the first climb.

Check the pic.

Purple line = normal main jeep track

Red line = Through Fairy garden

Red dot = Where bridge was situated

now im lost. the only two bridges I know in that area is the one in fairy garden and then as u come out go acroos the road there is one one the start to the "your roots" track that u climb up on :unsure:

I believe his name is Peter Davids.

That is correct, I know him. I rode past the scene last night after the ambulances left.

He has a head and back injury and is undergoing an operation this afternoon. He will need further surgery but I am not going to go into too much detail at the moment.

From what I saw I think that new "Bump" on the main hill jeep track could of been blamed as he seemed to have landed about 15 meters past it on the way down. If there was poor ambient light and one's weight is wrong while riding down that could definitely catch many a person out....

I will try and keep everyone updated.

Edited by mach7-7

That is correct, I know him. I rode past the scene last night after the ambulances left and it left my girlfriend feeling sick...

He has a head and back injury and is undergoing an operation this afternoon to drain blood off his chest. He will need further surgery but I am not going to go into too much detail at the moment.

From what I saw I think that new "Bump" on the main hill jeep track could of been blamed as he seemed to have landed about 15 meters past it on the way down. If there was poor ambient light and one's weight is wrong while riding down that could definitely catch many a person out....

Really sad to hear about your friend . Hope he recovers soon and all goes well with his surgery

where that palette was was steep and icy when wet...it's rutted there now from braking, but much safer. I know a few dudes who ate some wood chips there too. It was the last palette before the actual bridge

Really sad to hear about your friend . Hope he recovers soon and all goes well with his surgery

+1

now im lost. the only two bridges I know in that area is the one in fairy garden and then as u come out go acroos the road there is one one the start to the "your roots" track that u climb up on :unsure:

Don't worry mate. That bridge he's talking about is about 3,500 metres wide and completely flat, and takes you over the little river riiiiight at the end of My Roots. The one WE'RE talking about is midway through My Roots, as I described it. Not really a bridge. Just a palette by the rock drop.

That is correct, I know him. I rode past the scene last night after the ambulances left and it left my girlfriend feeling sick...

He has a head and back injury and is undergoing an operation this afternoon to drain blood off his chest. He will need further surgery but I am not going to go into too much detail at the moment.

Ouch.

Yeah, wrong weighting and you're stuffed. You need to unweight the front and manual over those water bars. If you don't unweight, the front WILL go squidgy.

Having said that though, one one of the water bars there is a patch just before it that is VERY sandy. Just on the upslope side of it, as you're coming down. It's a section of deep sand, about 1.5m long that seems to have accumulated with the rains. Badly done water bar.

That could quite well have caused it... go into a sandy section at speed, without being prepared for it, and you're toast.

Hope your mate gets well, Mach...

Please do! I am going to look into the circumstances of how the bump came about and whether it would qualify as needing warning. This has been ongoing, new trenches and rollers are built, but information fails to make it's way to the riders.

A notice board will hopefully be erected soon in the space where the old wooden bin was removed, the roofed structure is still standing and will make a good noticeboard area.

+1