All-mountain Biking Basics

Capricorn

Absolutely, but I think the bit that made me think "wait, do I actually do that?" is the body staying upright part. For the life of me, I can't figure out whether I lean my body more than I should, or not. Yes, my side knobs get used, but it was quite interesting to see him literally push his knee against the downtube to stabilise himself upright.

this might not apply to you, but what i noticed with my XC buddies was, that they had not properly dropped their outside pedal. the one that got it fromthe get-go changed pedal positions depending on directoin of the corner the most frequently, whereas the one that didnt seem to get it all, was still riding flat pedals. you cant really do the knee pushing thing if your pedals are not properly up and down. Sometimes, I still catch myself trying to push with the knee, but feeling cramped up. I'd video the corner and note the pedals werent properly up and down.

Also, the inside arm must be straight. It will force your navel to point toward the inside of the corner. Once your navel points, and your pedals in the right up-down orientation, the knee will almost naturally push against the frame.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this might not apply to you, but what i noticed with my XC buddies was, that they had not properly dropped their outside pedal. the one that got it fromthe get-go changed pedal positions depending on directoin of the corner the most frequently, whereas the one that didnt seem to get it all, was still riding flat pedals. you cant really do the knee pushing thing if your pedals are not properly up and down. Sometimes, I still catch myself trying to push with the knee, but feeling cramped up. I'd video the corner and note the pedals werent properly up and down.

Also, the inside arm must be straight. It will force your navel to point toward the inside of the corner. Once your navel points, and your pedals in the right up-down orientation, the knee will almost naturally push against the frame.

Yeah, the pedal thing many people get wrong, and it makes a huge difference. Another thing is sitting down, it's amazing how cornering becomes so much easier with a lower centre of gravity (of course contributed to also by having your weight low on the outside pedal).

Yeah, the pedal thing many people get wrong, and it makes a huge difference. Another thing is sitting down, it's amazing how cornering becomes so much easier with a lower centre of gravity

Talking about sitting down ... you gotta love the vast majority of riders who either sit down through DH singletrack, or lean so far back that their arms are dead straight ... It gives you zero control and makes your ride crappy!

Shame I'm constantly trying to correct peoples posture on the bike when out riding ...

Cool vid cap makes me wanna go out and ride, do you know where you can buy this vid to own?

The vid always seems to stop round the 20min mark so I cant finish it.

perp: i think they are extension for Firefox and/or chrome browers that allows you to download the vids. I use opera, and it's cache allows me to grab the vids once they've finished loading in the browser. DUnno how the other folks do it.

Great vid: itching to practice some of those moves! All I need is a trial like that.

Is that a saffa dood mechanic towards the end?

Is that a saffa dood mechanic towards the end?

Yeah thats Paul Walton, fabians mechanic and team manager ... hes from Durban

Talking about sitting down ... you gotta love the vast majority of riders who either sit down through DH singletrack, or lean so far back that their arms are dead straight ... It gives you zero control and makes your ride crappy!

Shame I'm constantly trying to correct peoples posture on the bike when out riding ...

Obviously, sitting down through a rock garden is silly, but planting your butt firmly on the seat through a gnarly off-camber corner where grip is the biggest problem is by far the best option.

MH - I like the foot out, rest your outside leg on the saddle option... that way you still have some sort of pressure on the saddle, but can move around a bit faster... And you still have the outside pedal weighted up...

MH - I like the foot out, rest your outside leg on the saddle option... that way you still have some sort of pressure on the saddle, but can move around a bit faster... And you still have the outside pedal weighted up...

That's also a great option yes, it's more versatile than sitting down, which gets tricky if the corner is bumpy and you need to be absorbing it somehow.

So who's riding Tokai on Sunday?

me. last ride I can get in before flying up to DBN. Wish I could take my bike with to soak up the vibes in Giba, but alas, I have a hectic schedule. No riding time... *sniff*

That's also a great option yes, it's more versatile than sitting down, which gets tricky if the corner is bumpy and you need to be absorbing it somehow.

So who's riding Tokai on Sunday?

my thoughts iggzackerly!!!

comme ca?

Sam Hill:

post-6789-0-39759300-1310752749.jpg

or Jared Graves:

post-6789-0-72262400-1310753190.jpg

Edited by Capricorn