Shimano SA - i am disappointed

Konaman

My son has the new Shimano XTR 988 brakes on his bike.

I require the new Shimano XT Ice Tec RT86 6-bolt Disc Rotors, for a 2nd set of Ztr wheels, that my son uses for cross country racing. (it does not come in Xtr 6-bolt)

I am told that the local Shimano agent, will not be importing this item as they only stock the center lock version of this Rotor.

All i can say - be warned not to switch to the brilliant new XTR disc brakes, if your wheelsets require 6-bolt rotors. These brake calipers apparently requires the new Ice-tec rotors, to be very effective.

My only solution now is to support Chain Reaction Cycles, to get this item.

I have the new XTR brakes, 6 bolt and no cooling fins. They work brilliantly.

We wouldnt use the XTR rotor but just used another 6 bolt one instead.

I have the new XTR brakes, 6 bolt and no cooling fins. They work brilliantly.

We wouldnt use the XTR rotor but just used another 6 bolt one instead.

You have the race versions then?

Why worry about supporting CRC - just do it

I don't think that anyone actually has the XT ice-tech 6 bolt rotots in stock though. Even CRC is only expecting them in stock between the 10th and 17th of August

My only solution now is to support Chain Reaction Cycles, to get this item.

So what are you disappointed about exactly? Can I add to your order? ;)

my mate has the race xtrs and uses avid rotors and they work hundreds! the new xtr rotors supposedly cool quicker - but i'd say thats a bit of marketing guruness to get you to run their rotors - thats all.

my mate has the race xtrs and uses avid rotors and they work hundreds! the new xtr rotors supposedly cool quicker - but i'd say thats a bit of marketing guruness to get you to run their rotors - thats all.

I think the Ice rotors are a sandwich of materials, as opposed to the normal solid S/S rotor.

I think the Ice rotors are a sandwich of materials, as opposed to the normal solid S/S rotor.

They are... but that doesn't mean its not marketing...

To the OP, I don't see what you are worried about. Most people support CRC if the deal is better.

Shimano SA is very disappointing. There is allot of small parts that they don't bring in either. By small I mean chainring bolts. I know you can buy aftermarket ones but I want torx ones without any writing on.

Edited by AndreZA

Dont see this as a negative but a positive , CRC has way more cool stuff than Shimano , get new rotors there and what ever else you need , spares ect. its cheaper and super easy. My mate and I just got our latest shipment from them it was a few days and presto its at your door.

Make your order value over 3K and shipping is free.

Edited by Iron

Dont see this as a negative but a positive , CRC has way more cool stuff than Shimano , get new rotors there and what ever else you need , spares ect. its cheaper and super easy. My mate and I just got our latest shipment from them it was a few days and presto its at your door.

Make your order value over 3K and shipping is free.

I like toys! You still need to pick yours up - hurry - or the stuff will end up on my bikes!!!

Hell I got a chain tensioner for my SS to macth the frame colour - metallic orange. I'd like to see a local supplier keep that kind of odd item. It was available in candy apply green to match my old bike too. Hmmm maybe the guys at singlespeed.co.za would have it...

Anyhow. I feel a bit sorry for the local Shimano agent - we're a relatively small market in SA with access via internet to HUGE markets and shops like CRC. Shimano Japan will never offer the local guys the low cost prices that CRC/Europe get. The local guys then need to offer the back up and after market service on all Shimano products (including all Shimano equipped bikes in SA) that CRC doesn't have to. My feeling is they try but there is no way they can match the offering of CRC (or CWC to a lesser extent).

The other thing that does not happen in SA is that you can not get spares/parts for some of the items, I saw on the Shimano website that you can order almost to the last nut and bolt.

I needed to replace a shifter on my MTB and when queried here with a couple of bike shops is that you can only get them in pairs

Shimano SA had stock of the XTR (180) ice tech rotors when nobody else including CRC had any.

Bought them via Complete cyclist as I wanted to get my new wheels ready.