Uber Cyclist

Garfield2010

Maybe the oddwheel crowd can give us a bulk discount ? Especially if we collect ?

Johnny - anything else newbies need to consider when buying ? It will just be for street fun and going to the shops and stuff ..... junior is not even 2 yet. so no worries.

Chat to the guys at OddWheel ... you never know...

If you're going to use the uni for riding around the neighbourhood and down to the local shop, then the cheaper options are best. My R500 no-name chinese import bought around 2004, lasted me well and I did many km's on it until I started to expand my skills and wanting to ride offroad.

I reckon the 24" Luxus but I see it's out of stock. Would that frame have enough clearance for a knobbly or fatter tyre if you want to use it on gravel?

You may be able to fit a 24" MTB tyre on it, but it's not going to last offroad. The cranks, hub, and rim are not designed for abuse. You'll be able to ride jeep tracks and the like with it, but as soon as you start doing any drops or hitting obstacles the rim and cranks will feel it. Plus it won't handle the gravel as well as a Mountain Uni. If you're going to want to ride any gravel then rather spend a little extra cash to get the entry Mountain Uni the 24" Qu-Ax Cross. The Qu-Ax Cross comes with a 3" Duro tyre which loves the gravel :)

but will the 24inch luxus come with a cow seat saddle ... ?:rolleyes:

but yes, getting the clearance so we can possibly put on knobblies tyres is important ..

You can get it with the cow saddle if you want to :)

Your next target has to be the Argus. Three of them last year, as I recall. And on a couple of other +/- 70km races around Cape Town. Johnny Reggae being one of 'em, I think ...

3 guys did the Argus on Uni's this year, the first making it in a time of 5h15. One of them was a Johnny, but it was not me :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Birthday unicycle has been approved. Much easier than I thought. Having second thoughts though now that my usual impulsive compulsive excitement has worn down a bit.

Careful what you wish for. This arrived this morning.

post-3611-0-70284900-1318238123.jpg

and here's a picture of the broken door handle on the cupboard I crashed into on my first attempt...trickier than I thought!

post-3611-0-88536600-1318238916.jpg

There's some good videos on Youtube. They say start off against a wall so you can grip onto something as you go back and forth ...

Have an awesome time, XTC1!

There's some good videos on Youtube. They say start off against a wall so you can grip onto something as you go back and forth ...

Have an awesome time, XTC1!

Good advice :thumbup: When you start feeling a little more confident, just let go and go for it.

And good luck ... it is a lot easier than it initially feels like.

Edited by JohnnyReggae

Thanks for the good wishes fella's, will give it a solid tonk tonight and hopefully be feeling a bit more confident by this time tomorrow. Either that or watch the For Sale section...

Gave it a bash for about fifteen minutes last night, managed to find the balance point and hover in one spot pedalling to and fro for a couple of seconds ... tricky bit seems to be when you try pedalling and get your cranks to the 12 and 6 o'clock "dead spot" positions.