Uber Cyclist

Garfield2010

Hey Johnny Reggae, which of the uni's on the oddwheel website would you recommend for someone that wanted to learn...I see quite a few in the region of R850 - R1200 so I guess one of those. Not for Muni....just plain Uni... you catch my drift. Maybe something a kid could also use once they get bigger unless there's no such thing.

What's the short and sweet on wheel size and other things to look out for when buying one?

OK just saw this.

http://www.unicycle.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=148&Itemid=202

What about frame material, seat, bumpers, adjustability and all that..what would you look out for?

Edited by XTC1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Johnny Reggae, which of the uni's on the oddwheel website would you recommend for someone that wanted to learn...I see quite a few in the region of R850 - R1200 so I guess one of those. Not for Muni....just plain Uni... you catch my drift. Maybe something a kid could also use once they get bigger unless there's no such thing.

What's the short and sweet on wheel size and other things to look out for when buying one?

ja answer this blokes question .....:clap:

What about frame material, seat, bumpers, adjustability and all that..what would you look out for?

I was told that a 20" one uni is best to learn on. The boys and I can both ride it.

I was told that a 20" one uni is best to learn on. The boys and I can both ride it.

I'm def going to get strange looks from the wife when I request my next birthday present...something acting my shoe size and all. Looking forward to chasing her around the house on it...watch this space! Hey Slowbee maybe we can get bulk discount? I reckon once you master that beast it'll be a perfect match speed wise for the young'un on his scoot bike.

I'm def going to get strange looks from the wife when I request my next birthday present...something acting my shoe size and all. Looking forward to chasing her around the house on it...watch this space! Hey Slowbee maybe we can get bulk discount? I reckon once you master that beast it'll be a perfect match speed wise for the young'un on his scoot bike.

:lol:

Got that all the time when I was married!

btw, Dig the cow seat! :thumbup:

Birthday unicycle has been approved. Much easier than I thought. Having second thoughts though now that my usual impulsive compulsive excitement has worn down a bit.

Did a bit of research and it sounds like 24" wheels are the ones to go for if you are planning on doing anything more adventurous than riding along a pavement.

This one looks like the business though I'm sure once you've been posted, VATted and Dutied it'll be a whole lot more than 90 quid.

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycles-1/learner/learner24/24-trainer-unicycle.html

Maybe this one.

http://www.unicycle.co.za/index.php?option=com_jhshop&shoppage=Unicycles/Adult-Learner-Unicycles/QU-AX-LUXUS-24

Edited by XTC1

OK just saw this.

http://www.unicycle.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=148&Itemid=202

There are some options based on how much you want to spend and what you may ultimately like to do in the end.

For plain learning go for the cheaper option, the caveat being that once you learn how to ride you will more than likely want to upgrade to something better .... 24" Only One ... is a great Uni to learn on. Not as good in quality as the 24" Luxus ...

A good option IMO would be to go for a lower entry Mountain Uni, the 24" Qu-Ax Cross ... It's a tough Uni, except maybe for the cranks which are aluminium and prone to bending if you really start launching off drops of a couple feet or more ... but they are easily replaceable with something stronger. The rest of the Uni is really tough and can take probably everything you would care to throw at it. I rode one for a couple of years before changing over to a Kris Holm 24", and now onto a Kris Holm 26".

If you feel that you're quite serious from the start, then rather spend the money up front and get the best you can afford. Learning does take perseverance, and it does feel impossible when you first get on. But if you the fighting/driven type then take the plunge and get the best you can.

For adults I would also recommend a 24" over a 20" for learning. That's just my opinion mostly because I learnt on a 24". The 20" feels really small, even now that I have a 20" Trials uni. At least with the 24" you can put some distance and time in without killing yourself pedalling.

Does uni cyclists clip in? :blink:

We could ... but we don't ;) There have been some that have tried and love it but they are in the far minority ... as in a dozen or slightly more around the world. For myself ... not a chance. I come off fairly regularly, mostly landing on my feet and also have an occasional face plant. With clips the face plant ratio would increase dramatically. Stay away from clips if you're doing any tech downhill. The grip on the pedals and your shoes should be enough to keep you on :)

XTC, which one you going to go for ?

Maybe the oddwheel crowd can give us a bulk discount ? Especially if we collect ?

Johnny - anything else newbies need to consider when buying ? It will just be for street fun and going to the shops and stuff ..... junior is not even 2 yet. so no worries.

I reckon the 24" Luxus but I see it's out of stock. Would that frame have enough clearance for a knobbly or fatter tyre if you want to use it on gravel?

but will the 24inch luxus come with a cow seat saddle ... ?:rolleyes:

but yes, getting the clearance so we can possibly put on knobblies tyres is important ..

Your next target has to be the Argus. Three of them last year, as I recall. And on a couple of other +/- 70km races around Cape Town. Johnny Reggae being one of 'em, I think ...