LRP in my unleaded - what's the outcome?

LeTurbo

I know f@@@@ol about all these new cars!! Give me my 1990 Range Rover and I will fix it up, but these new things......? I know I had to change all my "coils of my hydrolic valves for my BMW" and all the signs where simmilar to the OP's? Since you are in the car bussines maybe you can tell me wether they screwed me or not?? I thaught the LRP thing is maybe just co-incedental?

They screwed you.

Please don't tell me they also replaced your exhaust bearing :lol: :lol:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

valves are relevant as lead was added to petrol as a lubricant for the valve seals. LRP uses other ingredients for the lube. LRP will affect the timing of an engine, and after a while might/should/will clog/kill the cat. Timing will be affect though, but I have no idea how the ECU will address that.

Mileage will vary, but for a once off incident it should be fine. Fill up with unleaded as soon as possible (not on an empty tank)

Is the fuel really such an issue? I know people who travelled between Randburg / Brits / Witbank / Middelburg(MP) / Pietermaritzburg in a gas guzzling 2.4 Nissan double cab with no fuel hassles...

I think you may be confused though, there are coils on each spark plug and the car does have hydraulic valve lifters

Sorry - replied to wrong post

Edited by chris_w_65

Guest agteros

here from the National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of SA (NAAMSA):

http://www.naamsa.co.za/unleaded/faq.htm

What are the consequences of using lead replacement petrol (LRP) if my car is fitted with a catalytic converter?

LRP should not be used in cars fitted with catalytic converters, because certain of the additives used may adversely affect the catalyst. For that reason LRP, will only be sold through larger diameter nozzles which will not fit the filler pipes of vehicles requiring unleaded petrol.

But remember, these answers (from all the various bodies/associations/organisations) were more addressed towards people who want to run modern engines on LRP PERMANENTLY. Once-off should most probably be fine.....

I know f@@@@ol about all these new cars!! Give me my 1990 Range Rover and I will fix it up, but these new things......? I know I had to change all my "coils of my hydrolic valves for my BMW" and all the signs where simmilar to the OP's? Since you are in the car bussines maybe you can tell me wether they screwed me or not?? I thaught the LRP thing is maybe just co-incedental?

I think you may be confused though, there are coils on each spark plug and the car does have hydraulic valve lifters

Guest agteros

The valve lifters run on the non-ignition side of the valve (behind the valve seat) If you get petrol in your oil you have bigger problems than LRP / Lead free questions.... :)

For that reason LRP, will only be sold through larger diameter nozzles which will not fit the filler pipes of vehicles requiring unleaded petrol.

So how did the OP get the nozzle to fit his car?

They screwed you.

Please don't tell me they also replaced your exhaust bearing :lol: :lol:

:clap:

All I care they could have replaced my wheel nut sensors as well as my steering wheel waterpump since it is still on motor plan and I pay boggeroll!! ;)

Guest agteros

So how did the OP get the nozzle to fit his car?

The ingenuity of fools is generally under estimated! (Apologies to OP, no harm intended) However, where there is a will there is a way ;)

1 Tank may not ruin a Catalytic Conv. I will assure you, continous use will.

Catalytic Converter failure is not covered by an M.Plan because, it is so easy to pick up abuse.

the Cat. has a sensor to the ECU. Its controlled electronically.

I wouldnt advise you continue to do so.

Hmm, I wouldnt run to change the cat just yet. If you only put in R150.00 (approx 15 litres) and the majority of it is still in the tank, its very unlikely you have damaged anything, damage to the cat is not instantaneous, it takes a bit more than 5 litres of fuel to do that.

To put your mind at rest I would suggest drain the fuel and refill with the correct grade, or if thats not possible go fill up with the correct fuel diluting the LRP completely.

Over such a short distance its highly doubtfull you will have damaged the Catalytic converter.

valves are relevant as lead was added to petrol as a lubricant for the valve seals.

The protection of the valve seats is just a convenient by-product of the lead. It's actually added as an anti-knocking compound to stop premature ignition.

The protection of the valve seats is just a convenient by-product of the lead. It's actually added as an anti-knocking compound to stop premature ignition.

Correct. And it overcame the potential problem that existed fromhaving the valve seats machined directly into the cast iron cylinder head

Thanks all - why go anywhere for answers when there's the Hub. If we could only pool our knowledge, we could rule the world! I think I'll get my local mechanic to drain the tank and start from the beginning. And not use that garage again.

Here,s my 5 cents worth, i have done over 300 000km on my fuel injected vehicle, i have used both types of fuel together, separately and no damage whatsoever. But then again it is an Opel

Here,s my 5 cents worth, i have done over 300 000km on my fuel injected vehicle, i have used both types of fuel together, separately and no damage whatsoever. But then again it is an Opel

Just because it is fuel injected doesn't mean it has a catalytic converter. You can be certain though that it has steel valve seats.