LRP in my unleaded - what's the outcome?

LeTurbo

So just drain your feul tank and refill with unleaded.

If the problem persist, consider the coils for the hydrolic valves?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't there certain cars a few years back that you could use 3 tanks of unleaded then 1 leaded and it would be OK .... :unsure:

If ruins you catalytic converter just get a free flow exhaust.

While you at it, get an engine chip, racing stripes, dropped suspension and a fluffy dice to hang from your mirror.

Edited by Just Keep Pedaling

Weren't there certain cars a few years back that you could use 3 tanks of unleaded then 1 leaded and it would be OK .... :unsure:

Sounds like an urban legend. Or maybe an old wive's tale. Ah, was ben wot posted, must be an old wife then.

Sounds like an urban legend. Or maybe an old wive's tale. Ah, was ben wot posted, must be an old wife then.

:whistling: :whistling: :cursing: ;)

Yes, you can run any leaded car like that. There is no immediate damage from using unleaded, as I posted earlier, you can drive over 10000km on unleaded because of the lead deposits on the valve seats

Yes, you can run any leaded car like that. There is no immediate damage from using unleaded, as I posted earlier, you can drive over 10000km on unleaded because of the lead deposits on the valve seats

Take that Bob :wacko:

So just drain your feul tank and refill with unleaded.

If the problem persist, consider the coils for the hydrolic valves?

Sorry dude. But do you know anything about engines. WTF is a coil for a hydrolic valve? And what would it have to do with leaded or unleaded fuel?

That sounds anecdotal as opposed to factual, and I would be wary of that advice. I can quote you many "stories" of people who have driven less that 30kms on the wrong fuel, and have had serious valve damage.

That sounds anecdotal as opposed to factual, and I would be wary of that advice. I can quote you many "stories" of people who have driven less that 30kms on the wrong fuel, and have had serious valve damage.

Don't argue with 'my guy' Bob! I find you :nuke:

I got the info out of some government release/info about the phasing out of leaded petrol.

It is also a fact that the lead deposits on the valve seats act as a lubricant and stop the valves from welding themselves to the valve seats.

If you have steel valve seats as my car does then you don't need LRP. If you have iron valve seats then you need LRP.

I would assume all cars with aluminium heads have steel (removable) valve seats and cars with cast iron heads have the valve seat faces machined directly into them

I got the info out of some government release/info about the phasing out of leaded petrol.

F*&k me, I'd be most wary of the horse manure the government passes out :(

Sorry dude. But do you know anything about engines. WTF is a coil for a hydrolic valve? And what would it have to do with leaded or unleaded fuel?

I know f@@@@ol about all these new cars!! Give me my 1990 Range Rover and I will fix it up, but these new things......? I know I had to change all my "coils of my hydrolic valves for my BMW" and all the signs where simmilar to the OP's? Since you are in the car bussines maybe you can tell me wether they screwed me or not?? I thaught the LRP thing is maybe just co-incedental?

Guest agteros

valves are relevant as lead was added to petrol as a lubricant for the valve seals. LRP uses other ingredients for the lube. LRP will affect the timing of an engine, and after a while might/should/will clog/kill the cat. Timing will be affect though, but I have no idea how the ECU will address that.

Mileage will vary, but for a once off incident it should be fine. Fill up with unleaded as soon as possible (not on an empty tank)

Is the fuel really such an issue? I know people who travelled between Randburg / Brits / Witbank / Middelburg(MP) / Pietermaritzburg in a gas guzzling 2.4 Nissan double cab with no fuel hassles...