Cradle Quest 2011

zaShadow

Anyone entering the Cradle Quest 2011?

The Nissan race at Van Gaalens last year was really tough, mainly due to excessive heat.

I'm in for the 70km but there doesn't appear to be much info out there about this year's race / route. I can't imagine it's going to be easy though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any updates on the race? The website has been down for the past week.

130 entries thus far.

I'm contemplating the 70km, but battled with the 40km last year due to the heat!

I'm in for the 70km! Just entered!

88 entries on the 70km and 70 something on the 40km so far. (If I remember correctly)

I'm expecting one helluva tough day in the saddle... Sounds like fun! :D

Would love to see some kind of route profile for the 70km - even if it's from last year. Just want to have some idea of what's in store as I've never ridden at Van Gaalens before.

So, the event itself has changed since last year, their website is down, nobody is communicating with us here, there aren't many people entered thus far and there is no profile etc.

Doesn't seem like a great race to enter.

I just spoke to Erik from Van Gaalens, he says the 70 k's is going to be fairly tough & technical (comparable to the Nissan last year), some 'decent' climbing, some new route sections, so 'be prepared' he says. No route profile to publish.

I just spoke to Erik from Van Gaalens, he says the 70 k's is going to be fairly tough & technical (comparable to the Nissan last year), some 'decent' climbing, some new route sections, so 'be prepared' he says. No route profile to publish.

Sounds like it's going to be a tough one!

Van Gaalens is the only course in Gauteng that seriously scares me. Flashbacks of last year still give me nightmares and have me reaching for my water bottle.

Yes the heat made it very hectic last year, but I did also find a nasty surprise with some of the track way beyond my skills, and did body plant into a rock garden, bruising / cracking ribs which made the rest of the race even more hectic.

However, since been back to the area, loved what Erik has done with Daggapad so yea, I have an underlying confidence that is going to be good. Taking my FS 140mm travel AM bike in the hope that we got some lekka downhill sections

The last time we were at Van Gaalens we went over Pofadder... which nearly killed me. I missed the Nissan there last year but from the route markers that are still out there it looks as if they went up Poffader from the other side. Preparing myself for a looooooooong day...

The route we took with the Nissan went up the concrete road, then through the hidden valley and down a very rocky steep decent: Daggapad is a different route down from there, sweeping fast single track, and very ridable. But Erik said we don't go that way, so lets wait and see what he has cooked up this time.

Never before ridden route, brand new, hard as nails!

Loads of single track, serious downhills, serious climbs!

expect something like the Magalies monster :thumbup:

I have even been to Van Gaalens, but really excited about this race. Would like a route map though to know what to be prepared for!

Never before ridden route, brand new, hard as nails!

Loads of single track, serious downhills, serious climbs!

expect something like the Magalies monster :thumbup:

:o That is not funny... <_<

The profile is not out - and what I can gather its a new route and going to be relatively tough one, lots of climbing (pushing), technical descents, if they are talking something like the Monster .. EEK ... you going to need a serious sense of humour. Give Erik a call @ Van Gaalens if you want to know more.

I see the online entries at cycle lab are closed, you guys reckon we will get late entries on the day? Field doesn't look that big, 108 for the 45km?