Suspicious Handling of Syringes

Siasvd

So i did the USN Race at Olifantsfontein a few weeks back and saw the one guy give his friend a handfull of sealed syringes and needles. It looked very suspicious to me.

Do the top racers inject them with LEGAL performance enhanced substances? Do you even get LEGAL stuff to inject.

I am not a top 100 finisher so i dont know if this is standard practice for the top guys.

What happened with GI32 and a banana before every race? smile.gif

Seeing someone hand someone syringes hardly proves anything.

Syringe system are used to bleed the brakes and to top up sealant in tyres.

Did you see anyone injecting themselves?

Im with Tankman, dont just asume they are using them on themselves.

an Assumption is the mother of all f@ckups :lol:

Edited by berry

What kind was it? Short thin or the kind a Dr would poke you with? Maybe the dude was diabetic and needed a few... Did any ampules change hands?

I agree with you Tankman.

At no stage did I say that it is illegal stuff or they are using it. It just looked weird that you give another guy a handfull of small sealed syringes. I am sure their is a logical explanation for this.

Good luck in bleeding your brakes with those small syringes.

My question: Do the "top" guys inject themselves with any LEGAL drugs?

I do not think that anyone will openly walk around these days with syringes if they intent to use it for illegal purposes.....

I would like to think that it was for Sealant, Diabetic purposes....or maybe just vitamin B-comp....

What kind of stabbing device would you use to do botox...

Jokes aside. What about pain killers. Eg knee pain or back pain.

Depends on what you see as drugs? Vitamin-C? Voltaren?

Legaly speaking....The UCI says

http://www.uci.ch/Modules/ENews/ENewsDetails.asp?id=NzMzMw&MenuId=MTI2Mjc

Press release - No Needle Policy: The UCI prohibits injections without medical indication

Date:

Description: The UCI Management Committee today approved the amendment of the UCI Regulations in order to prohibit and sanction the use of injections of medicines (or other substances) without a clear medical indication.This initiative, called the No Needle Policy, gives concrete expression to the UCI's desire to protect the riders' health, maintain equality of opportunity and fight against doping.

The UCI Regulations now prohibit injections of medicines or other substances, without a medical indication, that have the objective of artificially improving performance or recovery (vitamins, sugars, enzymes, amino acids, antioxidants, etc.). This measure is above all designed to protect the riders' health and contribute to eradicating doping by restricting a practice that is all too often abused. By prohibiting injections and establishing associated sanctions, the UCI is seeking, in particular, to:

eliminate perfusion and injection without medical indication, as these represent an open door to doping;

encourage natural physical recovery by rejecting the principle of the automatic recourse to injections;

provide doctors with the means to resist pressure from riders or their entourages who seek unjustified treatment, in order to allow them to respect point 6.3 of the Olympic Movement Medical Code: "Athletes’ health care providers (…) must refrain from performing any intervention that is not medically indicated, even at the request of the athletes, their entourage or another health care provider (…)."

Breach of these new regulations will lead to sanctions for the rider, team doctor or team.

Edited by SwissVan

I agree with you Tankman.

At no stage did I say that it is illegal stuff or they are using it. It just looked weird that you give another guy a handfull of small sealed syringes. I am sure their is a logical explanation for this.

Good luck in bleeding your brakes with those small syringes.

That is just the thing, a lot of stuff in life looks weird and people jump to conclusions. Not that I am judging, they MIGHT have been up to mischief or there MIGHT be a totally innocent explanation.

Do you phone the cops every time you see someone drive around with a bottle of coke just because you suspect there might be brandy mixed into it?

(If you live in Brakpan or Benoni, no need to answer, we know ;) )

Edited by Tankman