What happened to customer service?

divernick

Edman, I brought up that point in looking at this from say the CRC website perspective. They have a price, its the price of the item, but you do know you have to add postage. If you want a quote on an item they give you the price.

Now in trying to figure out if I would kick up a fuss at the shop I suspect I would. The "quote" was for the cost of the item, not included was getting the item to the shop. The question is about throwing the toys.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree the shop should have stipulated postage would be extra. However, if it was me and as long as they charged me what they were charged for postage, I'd have no problem with that.

We're all different I suppose.

Edman, I brought up that point in looking at this from say the CRC website perspective. They have a price, its the price of the item, but you do know you have to add postage. If you want a quote on an item they give you the price.

Now in trying to figure out if I would kick up a fuss at the shop I suspect I would. The "quote" was for the cost of the item, not included was getting the item to the shop. The question is about throwing the toys.

CRC is a mail order company, so it is rather implied that you have to add the postage since the goods are not going to get to my door any other way. Some companies, such as Evans, have the option to collect the goods in store (much closer to the current case), ini which case you don't pay any postage. They also make it pretty clear that this is the case.

When communicating with an LBS, I assume the price they quote me includes all their costs and no postage since I am the one who has to go and collect it. If they're going to include postage, they must state this upfront, otherwise they must be prepared to take the hit for their mistake.

CRC is a mail order company, so it is rather implied that you have to add the postage since the goods are not going to get to my door any other way. Some companies, such as Evans, have the option to collect the goods in store (much closer to the current case), ini which case you don't pay any postage. They also make it pretty clear that this is the case.

When communicating with an LBS, I assume the price they quote me includes all their costs and no postage since I am the one who has to go and collect it. If they're going to include postage, they must state this upfront, otherwise they must be prepared to take the hit for their mistake.

Eggzachary.

(also, I believe you can also go to Evans when it's closed, smash the windows and just take whatever you want :o )

Edman, why should any shop take a hit for your assumption ? Assuming the price includes postage lands up with threads on the hub discussing customer service.

I agree its bad customer service that they did not give all the costs - but it should be up to you to understand the full costs. Just like you do with everything else (especially investement charges).

Edman, why should any shop take a hit for your assumption ? Assuming the price includes postage lands up with threads on the hub discussing customer service.

I agree its bad customer service that they did not give all the costs - but it should be up to you to understand the full costs. Just like you do with everything else (especially investement charges).

Dude, that's a bit like going to shoprite, and picking up a bottle of amasi, and when you get to the till, they charge you extra for the transport cost of getting it from United national sorghum breweries to their shelf.

It's not the my responsibility to check that the shop has costed their parts correctly. They give me a price, I pay that, if they cocked up, they can swallow it. If they want me to be their cost accountant, I expect discount on parts.

That's a poor argument.

Mainly because they're deviating from what is normal. All other prices at the LBS include postage, costs etc. I would thus expect prices quoted to me by them to follow the same pattern. If they deviate from this without telling me upfront, they're in the wrong. They don't have to take the hit for the postage cost, just as I don't have to buy the items from them at a cost that is greater than what was quoted.

A retail shop, if based in SA, has to quote all inclusive, that is, the cost you see (or are quoted) is the price you pay, there's no niggling around it with word play.

Distributors are used to dealing with customers (shops) who claim VAT back and often use their own couriers, so they generally quote EX vat and freight because that's just the accepted business model, if they quote Retail then the same principle should and will apply (Price you see or agree to is the price you pay) in retail its not acceptable to quote Ex Vat or freight as it creates confusion - I think its even law now with the new CPA,.....I'll check.!

That's, of course, assuming that the shop is serviced by that company's rep…

Does the rep normally service the WHOLE shop?

The only difference is that when you buy from www.chainreactioncycles.com and you buy more than ZAR 2570 you pay NO shipping.

In Sefefferieka that does NOT happen.

haha so who will be paying the postage when they send the parts back :unsure:

What I was thinking also. Let them send it back. Price quoted is price you should pay nothing more.

I'm just wondering at what stage I should be pissed off, and have a good rant to someones boss. This is the scenario,

Last week Thursday I contacted an online shop via email to inquire about some SPD pedals, I'm desperate for some new ones. So come 4 hours later and no response, I deciede to go on the human contact route and phoned the shop to get some answers.

I eventually get the answer I didn't want so no problem I will try somewhere else. So I also have the same problem with this online shop, they don't take to replying to any form of written enquiries it seems, so I call them. I get told for sure the item is in stock, but the price is almost R200 more and the delivery is R75 for next day, so I go back to the original shop to find out when the stock would be in as I would prefer to do business with them, they tell me Monday for sure, great I think, they will let me know as soon as they are in.

Then they tell me thank you very much for the loyalty, I say no problem, Ive always had good service from you guys, I an hold out till you have them.

So come Monday, I get no word. I emailed and called and am still waiting on yesterdays phone call back, I sent an email today and still no word, I called and asked what was happening about 2 hours ago, I'm still waiting on an answer.

So I pose the question, do I go to the top in order to get the answers I've been requesting in 8 different mails. This is highly annoying. Do I just go the other route and pay more?

Hence why Im tring to also get a list of online shops

What to do, what to do?

Hah, service sucks in SA generally, I allow local operators one opportunity to get my money then I buy internationally.

You may have seen a week or two ago I was looking for a slide scanner, I approached two local operators, one on-line and one brick building, the on-line operator was out of stock, and the brick and mortar operator said he would call back with a price.

He didnt.

I then got a contact for the same scanner at an on-line operator in Texas, ordered, confirmed shipped the same day and it arrived a week later.....I am using it already.

......and then retailers cry "No Business" :thumbdown:

Well, I decided to buy my airbrush from a shop and I asked them how fast they can get it. They said a week or if I am willing to pay for speed services, I can get it the next day. I opted for the SS option. No hidden charges.

These day petrol is so expensive I much rather buy online, if the shop is 30km or further away, then go into a shop.

Yeah, now I'm told the parts have only been dispatched today, origianlly they were supposed to have them yesterday, I will only have my part on Thurs/ Friday(hopefully) Still don't understand after numerous calls & emails, I'm still doing all the chasing around.

Now the other place doesn't have them in stock anymore, doh :(

So frustraiting getting conflicting info :angry: