Triathlon - Expensive

Garfield2010

I did both the Midmar race and the so called profiteering 5150

The midmar race i couldnt finish because i need lots of water and there were no water. Stopped with 10 km to go severely dehydrited. The weekend cost me about R 4 000 including transport and accomodations. I would have gladly paid R 300 more for a proper orginized race. Not only were the water a problem but the cycling got dangerous and many compettetors did three laps instead of four.This is not motivating when you do your fourth lap rather alone in the traffic.

5150 cost me R 800 i am a backmarker but there were enough water until the end ,enough to pour over me if i needed . The traffic control were done well and at no time was it unsafe or uncomfortable to race.

To summarize at Bella Bella/Ironman/and Halve Iron i got value for my money and at other events not so much.

Maybe the TSA should require a standard when they sanction a race like Sachets per athlete per degree celc or something then even there fee will be value for money

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point taken B-Active Sports. It is easy to complain as an athlete whilst there are people out there trying their best to serve the sport.

I think the problem is that Triathlon has exploded in the past few years in terms of people taking part and it is also known as an expensive sport. The fact that the gear costs so much in comparison to other sports have somehow led to a justification in super expensive entry fees as well.

Take a sport like jogging. Super cheap gear and entry fees.

It is a pity because someone like myself now can only choose a few races a year and not enter every event anymore. They must be carefull not to prices themselves out of their own market.

For example I will only do maybe 2 BSG's, and then the Prestige Ultra and Buffelspoort 70.3. Midmar will depend the entry fee and whether I can get a lift down and back.

East Londen & PE is way too expensive all things considered.

Other than this I will do lots of running races and a few cycling only races. They are priced somewhere in between.....

Also, if there is issues with regards to possible water shortages I just think we should be warned. I have never ever been told not to "waste" water before the start of a race due to a possible shortage.

In this case I would definately also ensure that I have a bottle to carry along when running. Thats how I train and that can be done.

I got the idea at Midamr they allowed a lot of "late entries" which was unplanned for. I personally know 3 guys who entered the morning before the race! On the one hand well done for accomodating guys but on the other.....

I also did both races (Midlands Ultra and 5150).

I thought the Midmar race was actually very well organised - If it wasn't for the extreme heat at Midmar I think it would have been a great race. Everyone out there took way more water sachets than they would normally have done (me included) and I would have been surprised if any race would cater for athletes taking 3 times the normal quantities. I also suffered badly on the day and had to dig deep to make it to the finish. I still thought entries were well managed, the swim was excellent, the cycle route avoided traffic to a large degree and there was a quality waterpoint on each lap of the cycle, the run took place on a beautiful route and there were enough marshals everywhere.

The 5150 race was definitely a top quality race, marshals were at their stations many hours before the race start, cars were not allowed to drive inside the resort and the venue was an excellent choice. The major issue for me on the day was that the day was planned in a way that kept you near the start for longer periods than I would have liked - check in for the bikes closed at 11:20am and my race only started at 1:15, check out for bikes were only possible after 5pm. I hope that as the numbers pick up over the years, the race becomes cheaper. Having said that, I am sure I will be back next year (with the family again - they really enjoyed the weekend).

Value for money I would rate the Midlands Ultra higher and hope the organisers will keep this event going as it was a trip well worth taking.

Maybe they should allow cooler boxes in the transition area for 70.3 races? If I was able to come into transition and drink a whole bottle of lekker cold energade before the start of the run leg then I would not need as much water? Hell I could even then carry one bottle with me for the first 5 km's? Problem is that most guys forget to hydrate on the bike (or maybe the heat dehydrated us more than we thought) and then want to make up during the run?

Just a thought??

Agreed, this sport we love is expensive and us the organisers need to set their entry fees very carefully so as to not step over the line.

Feedback from you guys is needed and possibly a letter to TSA in regard to the cost of day Lic fees is needed, we have tried!

The Midlands Ultra will be back again in 2012, on the 4th of March. We are still searching for a sponsor, but promise to keep entry fees as low as possible. The Midlands Ultra website will be up at the end of Sept and entries open in October.

Enjoy your weekend.

Thanks man. Will keep an eye out for this race/costs etc. The fact that the caravan park is cheap does help. Please just consider allowing us to bring our own "cooler boxes" into transition this coming event.

I also fail to see what use TSA serve that couldn't be served by a combined CSA/ASA body.

Not only do I pay R300 p.a. to TSA, I also have to pay a R500 "Administration Fee" for the privilege of representing SA at Worlds next month !!

do you have to fully fund your own trip too?