Triathlon - Expensive

Garfield2010

Except on multi lap races :P

Ja but I am especially carefull on these races as I know I have to come past this point again!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Example

Look at this trial run option. Yes it is expensive, but look at what you get!!

10km - R155; 20km - R250; 35km - R350

Included is coffee on arrival, lunch afterwards (chicken roll with salads), First Ascent custom designed running Tee (value R295); Race Cap (value R100), Free web photos and awesome trail routes.

So if you pay R350... that is a lot, but you get so much more out of it. The race for that distance will take you roughly 5 hours +.

Trail running events are still new and growing in popularity, so the sucker punch has not been thrown yet....

Off road event costs dont have the same costs (traffic) as road events.

Ho much does the traffic cost really? I have been wondering about this for a while. Do the cops charge you per km road that they have to cover or do they charge per vehicle. All those points men are volunteers as far as I can tell.

It would be really interesting to see the budget and actual results obtained from a race like the Dome to Dome for example...........................

Also remember most of expenses are normally covered by the sponsors as well.

Yeah right...I'm in Switz and dont get a discount on Swiss IM...

CHF 675 (six thousand plus Ronds) before 31/12/2011

CHF 755 afterwards

So when is the Luxumburgli IM

I got a entry for Regensburg Germany for June next year and was a liitle cheaper than that.

I wish they would do a IM in Lux.It's the perfect venue.

Well it still sucks. I used to be able to do all the races I wanted. Guess the recession caught up with triathlon as well!!

How many km's would you say a new pair of Asics nimbus 12 can do? Its not something I really think about.

About 6-8 months depending on your weight and milage.

Ho much does the traffic cost really? I have been wondering about this for a while. Do the cops charge you per km road that they have to cover or do they charge per vehicle. All those points men are volunteers as far as I can tell.

It would be really interesting to see the budget and actual results obtained from a race like the Dome to Dome for example...........................

Also remember most of expenses are normally covered by the sponsors as well.

Wrong, wrong again....

Have no idea what the costs are now days. The last time I was involved in event organizing was pre 2003. I was on our running / tri club committee and was involved with a lot of road running events on the east rand and a few tri’s and biathlons. We sometimes had a major sponsor for some of the events and I can honestly say we never made a huge profit, if any. Most cases it was a loss or break even scenario and with tri’s it was impossible as the number of entrants (standard distance) was never more than a couple hundred. In those days some traffic departments did not have a prescribed fee, maybe a donation or lekker braai.....but now I believe the traffic departments operate like a business, they expect you to cover their labour / equipment costs per hour and at overtime rates.

I suggest you join your local running, cycling or tri club committee and give event organising a go.

Guest agteros

Entry fees are also too expensive. Last year we paid heavens know how much and couldn't even swim in the Germiston Lake. SO we paid for a Tri. but did a Bi.

Run/Cycle/Run? That is a duathlon. Biathlon is run/swim/run or something like that. At least tri/bi/du are all organised by TSA, and you do not need to belong to a club to belong to TSA.

If you only use one pair of shoes a year,then you not running enough :D

Yip, a pair of shoes apparently lasts for about 800km - 1000km. which is 15-20km per week, and that is just farting around, not endurance running training. Need to do at least 50km per week(2600km per year) to be really training. But that is just my 2c...

Edited by agteros

I also fail to see what use TSA serve that couldn't be served by a combined CSA/ASA body.

Not only do I pay R300 p.a. to TSA, I also have to pay a R500 "Administration Fee" for the privilege of representing SA at Worlds next month !!

Yip, a pair of shoes apparently lasts for about 800km - 1000km. which is 15-20km per week, and that is just farting around, not endurance running training. Need to do at least 50km per week(2600km per year) to be really training. But that is just my 2c...

What if you're training for 1500m only? Ok, maybe a 3000m thrown in?

but now I believe the traffic departments operate like a business, they expect you to cover their labour / equipment costs per hour and at overtime rates.

That's true and it's not cheap. Two years ago we were quoted about R4000 for 2-3 officers at one intersection for 4hrs. The organisers also do not get to choose how many officers or marshals are required - the metro police dictate the minimum numbers required as part of the approval process.

That's true and it's not cheap. Two years ago we were quoted about R4000 for 2-3 officers at one intersection for 4hrs. The organisers also do not get to choose how many officers or marshals are required - the metro police dictate the minimum numbers required as part of the approval process.

And what's worse, when the race traverses multiple municipalities, the costs go up quite quickly.

Run/Cycle/Run? That is a duathlon. Biathlon is run/swim/run or something like that. At least tri/bi/du are all organised by TSA, and you do not need to belong to a club to belong to TSA.

Well it depends how far back you go, way back when men had faces and the hub was a wheel component ....LOL.... they used to be called Bi-athlons in SA, format was usualy a 10 km run followed by a 40 km cycle.

But yep your right now biathlon can be a number of things but not a run cycle run sport.

But yep your right now biathlon can be a number of things

I lean towards the skiing and shooting version.

Hey Guys

Just coming from an athletes side to now organising events in KZN... my 2 cents worth. I also agree that race costs are way too high and some are profiteering!

These events cost alot to organise and alot goes on behind the scenes that you guys don't see. For our ULTRA at Midmar, yes we had a problem with water , but this was unforseen with the 38deg weather, not excusable and definately won't happen again. I agree that R800 for an olympic race is profiteering, I also think that R1500 for a 70.3 and R4000 for an Ironman is also profiteering... seriously it is still a 1 day event.

However just to give you some expenses that we pay for our Ultra at Midmar:

Marshals - R28 000

Sanctioning levies and TSA Officials - R18 000

Race Staff - R22 000

Tv production - R60 - R70 000

Marketing - R85 000

Prize money R40 000

t-shirts, medals, swim caps - R95 000

plus loads more expenses...

That race costs us around R440 000 to stage, so with the 450 Ultra Athletes, it works out to R977 per person. It does help alot when you secure big sponsorships, unfortunately this year we had under R60 000 in sponsorships, but took the risk of loosing money to try put on an event for the athletes.

This isn't to justify the BIG race entry fees, but rather to give you some info of what goes on behind the scenes. With the new Safty act, costs for race organisers have to go up, as you now need to employ a safty officer who overseas the whole event... costing aorund R1500 per hour. he then tells you you need to add this and that to your event, which you have to do ... according to the new law.

Anyway, as I said... just my 2 cents.

Have a great weekend

Edited by B-Active Sports