Triathlon - Expensive

Garfield2010

Then on Raceday they ran out of water at the most crucial part of the race. I was on the FIRST lap (2 laps) of the run when they ran out already.

Years back you could take as many gels on the waterpoint tables as you wanted in IM races. These days they limit you. Why? Money?

They also limit you at most races to one small 100ml cup of coke afterwards..... WTF?

No maybe it's to make sure that those after you get something......

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets forget the actual cost for a minute. Can somebody explain what the role and purpose of organizations such as TSA and CSA are that require us to purchase licenses from them?

What does a TSA or CSA sanctioned event bring to the event that otherwise would have not been?

My point is that we are not getting what we are paying for. Prices have gone up. Everything else has gone down...........

Take a bicycle race for example... So it costs you R200 to enter. Lets say there is 5.000 entries.

That is a million rands. On route there are a few marshalls (not sure they get paid). Admin for the registration etc. 1 x 50ml coke at the finish per rider and a crap medal (normally)

I would say if the costs are R30 per rider it is a lot. What happens to the revenue? Or am I missing something?

Why dont we just get 200 okes from the hub together on Sat morning at Harties and do one hell of a group ride on our own?

Dan kan ek skaaprib koop vir die tri-nations toets en Guinness suip Sat middag...........

I was at the back! On lap 2 we got damwater

Unt where do u think the damn tap water comes from....

The point is "they" try and limit the amount of water point products athletes can take at any one water point exactly because of what happened to you.

I've done plenty of water point duty and have seen how some people take more than there fair share of water, coke, gels, snacks or whatever is available.

My point is that we are not getting what we are paying for. Prices have gone up. Everything else has gone down...........

Take a bicycle race for example... So it costs you R200 to enter. Lets say there is 5.000 entries.

That is a million rands. On route there are a few marshalls (not sure they get paid). Admin for the registration etc. 1 x 50ml coke at the finish per rider and a crap medal (normally)

I would say if the costs are R30 per rider it is a lot. What happens to the revenue? Or am I missing something?

Why dont we just get 200 okes from the hub together on Sat morning at Harties and do one hell of a group ride on our own?

Dan kan ek skaaprib koop vir die tri-nations toets en Guinness suip Sat middag...........

Hell sorry i was confused, I thought you were complaining because a TSA Triathlon license does not cover you for road running or cycling only events.

Try the search function, entry and license fee threads have been debated plenty of times ALREADY...

If I am dehydrated and want three cups of water then they must provide that. That is why I paid for the entry. Seriously, how can water run out? They need to make provision. If they cannot then they must warn me before the race so that I can have my wife second me or something (although thats never allowed)...

Surely the guys can have radios at the 4 waterpoints on the run route and keep contact with a supply vehicle or something?

Anyways. I guess the prices wont change. Its unfortunate as I will this year only do one race a month due to this.

If I am dehydrated and want three cups of water then they must provide that. That is why I paid for the entry. Seriously, how can water run out? They need to make provision. If they cannot then they must warn me before the race so that I can have my wife second me or something (although thats never allowed)...

Surely the guys can have radios at the 4 waterpoints on the run route and keep contact with a supply vehicle or something?

In theory you are right, sometimes things happen that are beyond the organisors control. i.e. exceptionaly hot conditions, high number of late entries.

Question:

In your race career, HONESTLY how much water have u taken from a water point and poured over your head / body cause its hot or whatever or only drunk half the contents and threw the rest away?

Athletes dont only drink the water, they pour it over themselves, this is where the greatest wastage happens. Similar with coke or energy drinks in paper cups if you provide a full cup athletes drink half and pour the other half out to mix water with it, this results in wasting half a cup energy drink and half a cup / sachet of water as the surplus is usualy thrown away.

Sometimes athletes are their own worst enemies

Its also renting the venue, Timing chip people, lots of things go into it.

But search for another thread, its called "race organizers i hate you!!!"

Then for this complaint you will see that there has already been plenty of discussion surrounding it.

At least in SA you get the discount option for Ironman.

Decide on the races you want to do in 2012 and start saving for them.

If you only use one pair of shoes a year,then you not running enough :D

In theory you are right, sometimes things happen that are beyond the organisors control. i.e. exceptionaly hot conditions, high number of late entries.Question: In your race career, HONESTLY how much water have u taken from a water point and poured over your head / body cause its hot or whatever or only drunk half the contents and threw the rest away?Athletes dont only drink the water, they pour it over themselves, this is where the greatest wastage happens. Similar with coke or energy drinks in paper cups if you provide a full cup athletes drink half and pour the other half out to mix water with it, this results in wasting half a cup energy drink and half a cup / sachet of water as the surplus is usualy thrown away.Sometimes athletes are their own worst enemies

Agree. Thats however why they must have sponges.

Late entries should be capped if it is to the detriment (not sure about the spelling) of the guys who entered early.

Running out of water is dangerous too. At that very same race a few people passed out and was taken away by ambulance. Not saying it is related to the water running out but it may well be.

I now have a race belt that holds its own water. Will use that for the "smaller"- IM races.

At least in SA you get the discount option for Ironman.Decide on the races you want to do in 2012 and start saving for them.If you only use one pair of shoes a year,then you not running enough :D

Well it still sucks. I used to be able to do all the races I wanted. Guess the recession caught up with triathlon as well!!

How many km's would you say a new pair of Asics nimbus 12 can do? Its not something I really think about.

At least in SA you get the discount option for Ironman.

Decide on the races you want to do in 2012 and start saving for them.

If you only use one pair of shoes a year,then you not running enough :D

Yeah right...I'm in Switz and dont get a discount on Swiss IM...

CHF 675 (six thousand plus Ronds) before 31/12/2011

CHF 755 afterwards

So when is the Luxumburgli IM

Question: In your race career, HONESTLY how much water have u taken from a water point and poured over your head / body cause its hot or whatever or only drunk half the contents and threw the rest away?

A lot but since I am always in the bottom 3rd of the race it is ok as there are not many people behind me.... Apparently they have like biltong sandwiches etc at the IM? Usually when I get there, there is only sandwiches with vukkol spread on them left!

A lot but since I am always in the bottom 3rd of the race it is ok as there are not many people behind me....

Except on multi lap races :P

A lot but since I am always in the bottom 3rd of the race it is ok as there are not many people behind me.... Apparently they have like biltong sandwiches etc at the IM? Usually when I get there, there is only sandwiches with vukkol spread on them left!

I know the feeling, ever seen a cape epic water point....something similar to a sardine run feeding frenzy...by the time I got there most of the time the orange slices were always finished, and guess what i craved for...