SeatPost SOS

Adrian4Four

Im still very new to MTBing, bought a nice lite carbon seatpost for my GT and i see its too narrow, its a 29.4mm and im guessing i needed a size up from that, but paid the money already for the wrong thing.

Is there something i can do to make it fit on my bike? cause i really love the look of it and want it on my bike like yesterday...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

post-25790-0-41295700-1313421542.jpg

Yip, buy a seatpost shim (Insert that fits into your seatpost) will need to know what diameter seatpost you should have got and buy a shim that sizes up from 29.4mm to the correct diameter.

You need a 31.6.

I have never seen a 29.4mm seatpost before and assume it is for a specific bike. The bike shop should have known that you could not use the post.

You will not find the correct shim,don't even waste time looking, so whatever you paid for that post is wasted.

Personally, I would take that post back and get your money back. Don't be crazy. Get the right size post.

You were totally ripped. :thumbdown:

I have never seen a 29.4mm seatpost before and assume it is for a specific bike. The bike shop should have known that you could not use the post.

You will not find the correct shim,don't even waste time looking, so whatever you paid for that post is wasted.

Personally, I would take that post back and get your money back. Don't be crazy. Get the right size post.

You were totally ripped. :thumbdown:

Weirdo. This is the worst post of the day.

Learn to take responsibility.

FFS!

Weirdo. This is the worst post of the day.

Learn to take responsibility.

FFS!

Ditto. You DO get seatposts that size. 31.8mm is oversize.

Try to go back to the shop you got it from and ask if you can swop it for the proper size. Explain your stuff-up, and take your slip with you. They might have to order it in for you, but hey - you'll have the right size and won't have to search for a shim to ebable it to pit properly.

Ditto. You DO get seatposts that size. 31.8mm is oversize.

Try to go back to the shop you got it from and ask if you can swop it for the proper size. Explain your stuff-up, and take your slip with you. They might have to order it in for you, but hey - you'll have the right size and won't have to search for a shim to ebable it to pit properly.

thumbup1.gif

ok sorry all, my other issue is i imported it, cause it was SOOOO much cheaper, otherwise i would have contacted the shop already, like i said, im new with this all and have now learnt that i should know the sizes of the parts im replacing/upgrading....

so is a shim a good idea and where could i find this?

tx again for the advise!

Yip, buy a seatpost shim (Insert that fits into your seatpost) will need to know what diameter seatpost you should have got and buy a shim that sizes up from 29.4mm to the correct diameter.

any idea where i could find this?

Guest Omega Man

imported it, cause it was SOOOO much cheaper

That's why it was so cheap. Haha. Find out the diameter of your bike and go look on CRC. They have shims for many posts.

Also invest in a vernier caliper before you order the shim so you can measure things properly, PS get a digital one as they are dead easy to read.

That's why it was so cheap. Haha. Find out the diameter of your bike and go look on CRC. They have shims for many posts.

yes THAT is why it was so much cheaper and i actually bought it from CRC and the point was that i didnt know you got different sizes (at the time) and this seatpost only came in the one, so i figured that it should work

Also invest in a vernier caliper before you order the shim so you can measure things properly, PS get a digital one as they are dead easy to read.

thanks, ill use one

Or you can go all local, and have a look at this http://www.probikekit.com/za/cane-creek-seatpost-shim.html<div><br></div><div>Remember you want to take whatever you have, down to 29.4....</div>

tx for all the info, much appreciated, ill try local 1st, dont wanna wait too long fot chain reaction to send it, i got the seatpost from them haha. only received it 2day after ordering it a few days before beginning of this month.

appreciated

Once you know the correct size, get a shim as mentioned. I have tried a few lbs in Jhb for the one I need and Murpy's law, they have everything. except what I need. Mine will be coming from CRC at around R60, which is certainly cheaper than a new seat post..

I am surprised the Weight Weenies don't scream about shedding a few grams by buying a smaller diameter seat post and shim.