Buying 2nd hand

DieWalt

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would rather stick to off road, not to keen on getting runover, heard the full suspension is much more expensive , but dont really know.. Im just running with advise Ive been given .

Just yanking your chain - i would suggest a full sus. For that money you will get a nice bike. The giant 29'er full sus bike is a great bike!

What type of riding do you think you will attempt?

Edited by Chubba

Would rather stick to off road, not to keen on getting runover, heard the full suspension is much more expensive , but dont really know.. Im just running with advise Ive been given .

Nah. Road is for the real hardcore cyclists. Off road, at least a hardtail is a little manly. Go with that.

Edited by TNT1

Edit, you have R20k to spend and this is the research you put into your spend?

Nice comments guy , Ill get there thanks.

Look, for R20k, both new and 2nd hand are options. I just think you need to nail down some facts about what you want out of the bike and the experience before you go spend your coin.

Just yanking your chain - i would suggest a full sus. For that money you will get a nice bike. The giant 29'er full sus bike is a great bike!

What type of riding do you think you will attempt?

Thanks , I'll look out for that , Ive had a look at some Scott bikes and KTM in stores (new) but that was before a knew what I wanted to spend, geuss I wass stuck on 10years back's prices , was shocked at where prices whent... Has since warmed up to the idea of spending more!

I whant to do some riding in the bush over weekends and maybe try the argus at some stage next or the following year, depending on how long it will take to get fit, for now im on the buying , I 'll get to the rest later... For now I'm lokking for something decent to start with , I did some cylcing when at school so I know I will like it , I just dont really know whats out there at the moment.

Thanks , I'll look out for that , Ive had a look at some Scott bikes and KTM in stores (new) but that was before a knew what I wanted to spend, geuss I wass stuck on 10years back's prices , was shocked at where prices whent... Has since warmed up to the idea of spending more!

I whant to do some riding in the bush over weekends and maybe try the argus at some stage next or the following year, depending on how long it will take to get fit, for now im on the buying , I 'll get to the rest later... For now I'm lokking for something decent to start with , I did some cylcing when at school so I know I will like it , I just dont really know whats out there at the moment.

Sounds like you want to do some cross country (XC) riding. This would be perfect for that Giant 29'er. And you can ride it on the road with the big wheels.

Edited by Chubba

Look, for R20k, both new and 2nd hand are options. I just think you need to nail down some facts about what you want out of the bike and the experience before you go spend your coin.

Will do thanks , think I should maybe visit a cycle store to get some advise an see firsthand what they are talking about (it all seems greek to me), can you recomend any in the centurion / pretoria area?

Sounds like you want to do some cross country (XC) riding. This would be perfect for that Giant 29'er. And you can ride it on the road with the big wheels.

Thanks, I think I need to go check it out and see it in real life so I can get a feel for whatyou are talking about!

can you recomend any in the centurion / pretoria area?

Probably not. I work on your side of the wors curtain, but I don't shop there much...

Thanks, I think I need to go check it out and see it in real life so I can get a feel for whatyou are talking about!

Careful with going to a shop. Often the salesman will corner you and make you buy something you don't really want.

Rather go and ride on that you see for sale on the hub, and chat to the guys here, they will give their 2c worth.

A lot of the responses here are a load of crap, so ignore them, but there is a vast knowledge pool available here

Careful with going to a shop. Often the salesman will corner you and make you buy something you don't really want.

Rather go and ride on that you see for sale on the hub, and chat to the guys here, they will give their 2c worth.

A lot of the responses here are a load of crap, so ignore them, but there is a vast knowledge pool available here

Thanks will keep that in mind.

Whatcha talkin bout willis?

Edited by Chubba

Don't mind TNT1, take his comments for a pinch of salt, he likes to cause k@k.

reason i said you could go new in hard tail is, you'd be able to get say a merida HFS300d for about 14k which leaves you with 6k to get nice shoes, cycling pants, etc.

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_za/bike/2011/34/MTB+Hardtail/MATTS+Lite+3000-D

http://www.cyclefactory.co.za/bicycles/new-bicycles-from-cycle-factory.html

the second link gives you a general idea of the price of some new bikes without having to go into a bike shop.

but then again in second hand for 20k you'd be able to go for a duel sus, or carbon hardtail, some of the bikes they've shown above are pretty good bikes.

And for your height I'd say dont go with any bike smaller then 19inches (large), i'm 1.82 and found the 19inch a little small for me but other people the same size prefer it, i personally wont ride a bike smaller then 20inch just feels funny for me.(have a 22inch frame currently).

and with regards to 26" and 29" they are wheel sizes, the 29" are new to the MTB scene and just by using the search function you'll see that there is so much controversy between 26 and 29"

I also found this comparison of MTB components quite nice in the beginning while learning how they are classified etc

Shimano SRAM Quality level

XTR X.0 Pro: Lightest strongest most efficient

XT X.9 Expert: Light, strong, durable, efficient

LX X.7 Sport: Strong, durable reliable

Deore X.5 Sport: Strong reliable

Alivio X.4 Recreational

Acera X.3

Altus Entry level

hope that helps a little to clarify things.

but like i said, rather ask a friend who has been cycling for a while to help you out and look at bikes.

Edited by brad890