Buying 2nd hand

DieWalt

Don't mind TNT1, take his comments for a pinch of salt, he likes to cause k@k.

That, and I see now, I've been cycling for longer than some members here have been alive :o

One day I'll try and just say something constructive first... ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shew, diewalt got more than he bargained for. Go with it noob, the whole point of MTB is exactly this thread. Enjoy it. Do it your way :thumbup:

That, and I see now, I've been cycling for longer than some members here have been alive :o

One day I'll try and just say something constructive first... ;)

oh boy :lol:

I know, takes all the fun out of it, right?

yip sometimes we just have to accept you OLD FARTS and ignore your when i was younger comments :P

Don't mind TNT1, take his comments for a pinch of salt, he likes to cause k@k.

reason i said you could go new in hard tail is, you'd be able to get say a merida HFS300d for about 14k which leaves you with 6k to get nice shoes, cycling pants, etc.

http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_za/bike/2011/34/MTB+Hardtail/MATTS+Lite+3000-D

http://www.cyclefactory.co.za/bicycles/new-bicycles-from-cycle-factory.html

the second link gives you a general idea of the price of some new bikes without having to go into a bike shop.

but then again in second hand for 20k you'd be able to go for a duel sus, or carbon hardtail, some of the bikes they've shown above are pretty good bikes.

And for your height I'd say dont go with any bike smaller then 19inches (large), i'm 1.82 and found the 19inch a little small for me but other people the same size prefer it, i personally wont ride a bike smaller then 20inch just feels funny for me.(have a 22inch frame currently).

and with regards to 26" and 29" they are wheel sizes, the 29" are new to the MTB scene and just by using the search function you'll see that there is so much controversy between 26 and 29"

I also found this comparison of MTB components quite nice in the beginning while learning how they are classified etc

Shimano SRAM Quality level

XTR X.0 Pro: Lightest strongest most efficient

XT X.9 Expert: Light, strong, durable, efficient

LX X.7 Sport: Strong, durable reliable

Deore X.5 Sport: Strong reliable

Alivio X.4 Recreational

Acera X.3

Altus Entry level

hope that helps a little to clarify things.

but like i said, rather ask a friend who has been cycling for a while to help you out and look at bikes.

Thanks , this helps allot! Getting used to all the terms takes a while , I think I will follow your advice to get the friend to help me! Thanks again

Hi there all, I am looking to start mtb-ing and to buy 2nd hand after talking to some friends in the sport.

Does anybody have some tips on what to look out for as well as what brands of bikes to look for and what to leave.

I dont whant to spend mor than 20K and am looking for a hard tail.

Hope you can help, thanks!

You want to spend R20k on a bike and you're a noob...er....and you want a hardtail 2nd hand for that price??

Either you have too much money to spend or you got some image to look up to.

..ha ha.

Seriously, do some research and decide what type of riding you're gonna be doing or else you're going to regret your choice.

Dude, you're a noob. Don't tell me to keep silent.

FFS!, and you're half my age. Have some respect. And that gay profile pic? WTF?

TNT1 - So I'm a noob then too....maybe to this site....and your comments...your words are really welcoming and inviting to people who think it may be a great way to spend R20,000...and perhaps bring much needed money and support to a sport that was started by noobs who knew no better... I'll make very sure I read very carefully through posts on this site before I take any comment seriously if that is how someone new to this great sport is treated by someone who by his own admission is wiser and more respectfull...and not gay...