2012 Shimano XT vs. SRAM X9

Morwa

I'm in the market for a new groupset, and would like some opinions regarding the new 2012 XT groupset vs. the SRAM X9 groupset. I would preferably go for a 3x10 system, since I still do a lot of training with my MTB on the road.

So....how would these two groupsets compare, and which one should I choose? I want reliability & durability! I know there are a lot of hubbers that rate the current X9 superior to the current XT system, but will this be the case for the new 2012 XT system?

I have been an X9 convert for 3 years now. The shifting is precise, and they just seem to stay dialed in regardless of what you throw at them.....but I hear that the 2012 groupset is amazing. I have just put 2012 XT brakes on my bike....unbelievable!

Well i dont like shimano any but i have to admit that i would choose the X0 above everything but between the X9 and the new XT i think the XT would be more bulletproof. This is only my opinion and dont speak from experience

that review is the old XT in 10 speed Dynasys version. Here is the new XT:

Currently Using 2x10 X9 and must say I was happier with my old 3x9 XT. I suspect that the problem I am having has to do with the open cables on my bike. shift lever does not return to original position after shifting, I have to push it back with my finger. This is due to clogging of the cable passing over the BB to the RD. I think sealed cable housing should do the trick to get it functioning properly. New XT looks nicer!

I've got 3 x 10 XT on my bike and I must say I'm not impressed at all. The granny gear is not easier (bigger) than 3x9 and the big blade is so small that you struggle to keep up on flats. Furthermore the chains required for 10 speed seems very fragile (broke mine after a couple of rides ) and was told by the LBS I need to start budgeting to replace the drivetrain - after 6 months!!

My previous bike had X9 drivetrain and it lasted forever with very little maintenance. I havent tried the 2x10 configuration, but seriously considering it when replacing my current crankset.

I've got 3 x 10 XT on my bike and I must say I'm not impressed at all. The granny gear is not easier (bigger) than 3x9 and the big blade is so small that you struggle to keep up on flats. Furthermore the chains required for 10 speed seems very fragile (broke mine after a couple of rides ) and was told by the LBS I need to start budgeting to replace the drivetrain - after 6 months!!

My previous bike had X9 drivetrain and it lasted forever with very little maintenance. I havent tried the 2x10 configuration, but seriously considering it when replacing my current crankset.

You can swop that big blade for a bigger one! Still waiting for mine to go before i get a bigger one!

I'm building up a 29'er with 2012 XT 26-38 Compact crank with 180mm crank arms. All black.

If the changing sizes seems to be a problem I will either get the 38-40 or the new three chainring setup to get the 42/32/24 close ratio crankset.

The nice thing about the 2012 f/d shifter is the fact that they are easily converted to 3 speed shifters.

Edited by Dubber88

DUDE! How frikkin tall are you that you need 180mm cranks!?

laugh.gif.With my femur length( from ground up, can't remember length ) , a 180mm crank is advised. Inseam is 920mm.

Did allot of research on crank arm length, so hopefully it works...

TX for all the replies and comments. Does anyone have an idea what will the price be of a complete XT 2012 groupset? When can we expect LBS’s to have stock? Last question....what would be a better option for a 29er....40/28 or 38/26 (2x10) and an 11-32/34 cassette?

• 2 months later...

I had Sram X9 on my old bike, never had problems, I thought I was convinced, until last night when I got my new bike with 2012 XT, frikken awesome stuff, never experienced such great/quick/smooth shifting before

TX for all the replies and comments. Does anyone have an idea what will the price be of a complete XT 2012 groupset? When can we expect LBS’s to have stock? Last question....what would be a better option for a 29er....40/28 or 38/26 (2x10) and an 11-32/34 cassette?

I was quoted about R10 500 for the 2012 XT groupset (excluding pedals and wheels) Apparently there will only be stock end January.