Build-a-Bike - Enriching the lives of the less fortunate

divernick

So chuffed to see my old Bianchi getting a new lease of life..... it's going to make someone pretty happy.

I still think that's a damn sexy sprayjob.....

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So chuffed to see my old Bianchi getting a new lease of life..... it's going to make someone pretty happy.

I still think that's a damn sexy sprayjob.....

It's an awesome-looking bike. I'm taking my time to get the right parts for it so that it can be raced to its potential again one day.

Where did you have the paint done?

Bought it like that hey - it was one of the Pantani replicas which they made after he won the TDF in 98 I think.

That would be great - I'll also keep an eye open for more bits - my training bike has the original ITM BigOne stem and bars, which I would have considered replacing, but I see you are sorted there. I think the 1" headset is going to be a problem though...

Saw the start of the thread and didnt read all 10 pages - i have a fram, think 19inch, can confirm. Felt Q220 alu - interested? PM me if so. Cool, cheers.

Saw the start of the thread and didnt read all 10 pages - i have a fram, think 19inch, can confirm. Felt Q220 alu - interested? PM me if so. Cool, cheers.

PM Sent! Thanks!

Finally finished the strip and polish on the donated Trek frame.

This one is going to Simon in the Freestate so that he can start MTB racing!

post-19617-0-25566200-1325837485.jpg

post-19617-0-13056800-1325837486.jpg

post-19617-0-51103400-1325837486.jpg

post-19617-0-07369800-1325837487.jpg

Almost done - just needs grips,7-speed chain and brake pads and it's ready to be donated.

Ths bike is going to the Free State...

409364_10150489597194985_514074984_8705113_538790662_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

!!!!!!!!!BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!!!!

We now have a Cape Town "branch" of Build-a-Bike!!

For all of you who offered parts in Cape Town, please PM me again so that I can refer you to the right guy in the cape.

Thanks!

And watch this space for news of bikes being given to those who need 'em!

The Website

I am collecting parts for a MTB bike build that I am going to donate to someone who will use it to ride to work instead of having to pay taxi fares or walk. I am going to document the process here on theHub and on my blog website (still to be developed).

All contributors will be credited, sponsoring businesses will be listed and links posted.

If all goes to plan, this will not be a once-off project and something that I (and anyone else) can run with as a community upliftment project.

This is how I envision the process going:

1. Get donor parts from Hubbers (parts list below)

2. Build Bike

3. Identify suitable candidate to receive bike via theHubSA nominations or other means

4. Donate bike to suitable candidate / charity

5. Encourage bicycle commuting in SA by submitting a press release to all major media on the story....

WIN WIN WIN situation.

I am looking for parts donations for the following:

Tyres & Tubes

Wheels (26" front wheel donated by me)

Brakes & Levers

Frame & forks (MTB for durability I think would be best for commuting, but road bikes are great for getting guys into racing)

Saddle

Handlebars

Grips

Cables

Cassette

Chains

Derailleurs

Shifters

Seatpost and clamp

Stem

Bicycle lock

Lights and reflectors for commuting

Any other parts that might work....

As parts come in I'll update this list with specifics, sizes etc.

I am open to suggestions and comments. I'd like to kick this off as soon as possible. I am already working on a website concept.

Let's get the ball rolling! Let me know what unwanted old parts you have lying around!

I have everything except the frame. PM me for the details

Today I donated another bike.

It's a Wheeler road bike that I built up from parts with an old Ultegra crankset and rear derailleur, LX shifters, Tektro brakes, Selle Italia seat and some other bits and bobs.

The recipient, Mashudu, is a security guard from Diepsloot who works at my complex in Paulshof and earns about R2500pm. He has twin 2-year old girls. He often works on weekends and nights and struggles to find transport to get to work on time and home at odd hours.

He is going to use the bike for transport and will save money on taxi fare, which is about R400 per month.

post-19617-0-23514000-1329503691.jpg

Website's been updated.... BuildabikeSA

Anyone in Gauteng have an integrated headset to donate or sell cheap. It's all I need to complete another bike. Oh, and a seat post clamp for a 27.2mm seatpost and seatpost.

Edited by divernick

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of road bikes almost ready to go and I want YOU to nominate worthy recipients. These bikes are more than adequate for someone looking at getting into road racing and will obviously make great fitness and commuter bikes as well.

My vision is to get someone riding who would normally not be able to due to lack of funds.

PLEASE HELP ME GET THESE BIKES TO PEOPLE THAT WILL USE AND APPRECIATE THEM.

Many thanks!

Anyone?

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of road bikes almost ready to go and I want YOU to nominate worthy recipients. These bikes are more than adequate for someone looking at getting into road racing and will obviously make great fitness and commuter bikes as well.

My vision is to get someone riding who would normally not be able to due to lack of funds.

PLEASE HELP ME GET THESE BIKES TO PEOPLE THAT WILL USE AND APPRECIATE THEM.

Many thanks!

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of someone who would appreciate a road bike to start racing on? Someone that could never afford one? Someone who has talent and potential but no means to develop it?

I have some road bikes almost ready to go.....