Sit back and have a good........

Skye

Was just wondering if you apply the same logic to using dope cause some of the others do it as well, even though you agree 100% that it is wrong !Wink

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Vets can do it then the kiddies in the League can too.

I can't remember a single Vets race I rode in this year where we didn't cross the white line! Clearly our Cape Town counterparts have managed to weed this terrible habit out of their racing, something I applaud...

Miss South Carolina has a serious future in p0rn I think....  Apparently Bungee jumping is like SOOO much fun.  Awesome apparently!

Was just wondering if you apply the same logic to using dope cause some of the others do it as well' date=' even though you agree 100% that it is wrong?!Wink

[/quote']

Any White Line justifiers want to answer the above question truthfullyWink?
racman2007-12-03 13:42:44

If the Vets can do it then the kiddies in the League can too.

I can't remember a single Vets race I rode in this year where we didn't cross the white line! Clearly our Cape Town counterparts have managed to weed this terrible habit out of their racing' date=' something I applaud...
[/quote']

Like you said; you will do what you can if you get away with it.  DQ'ing everyone at the Malmesbury race must have made someone sit up and think, but I also think the teams are the ones who took it to heart.  Guys like Auroma Carriers, BikeMax, Millennium FC and the lone Daikin rider set the tone.  Top down.  Couldn't believe it.  Left like their lives depended on it.

....Miss New Jersey has a Space Travel manual.  SERIAAS!

Was just wondering if you apply the same logic to using dope cause some of the others do it as well' date=' even though you agree 100% that it is wrong !Wink

[/quote']

If we really wanted to be pedantic we could find a myriad of rules, regulations, legislation and bylaws that we break on a daily basis, some which are really trivial, but legislation nonetheless....Wink

Like you said; you will do what you can if you get away with it.  DQ'ing everyone at the Malmesbury race must have made someone sit up and think' date=' but I also think the teams are the ones who took it to heart.  Guys like Auroma Carriers, BikeMax, Millennium FC and the lone Daikin rider set the tone.  Top down.  Couldn't believe it.  Left like their lives depended on it.

[/quote']

Then clearly it's what is needed in Gauteng!

avoiding the question is a good enough answer for me Wink 

But then again I don't really consider safety and doping "pedantic" issues. Anyway, different strokes .....

Good evening all. I must confess that tonight is the first chance I have had to get online and "hub". I am deeply concerned over what I have seen. The matter is being discussed with PPA and a formal statement from the event will follow.

On a personal note it saddens me when so much hard work is laid waste by the actions of the selfish few. I don't think many of you realise what goes into hosting an event of the nature of Die Burger Fietstoer. Most of the team were on the fields the whole week-end and very few had more than an hour or two's sleep before the event started. We were all there cleaning up while everyone else was watching the cricket late afternoon, I cannot accept that cyclist have so little respect for their own lives let alone others as to behave in the manner as is shown in the pictures.

It is easy to expect the organisers to police the issue and effect disqualifications!! Quite frankly I find this unacceptable. The manpower requirements for an event of this nature are massive and to expect any organiser to lay on even more people to take numbers of every transgressor is totally impossible. In short what we are doing is penalising the organisers because, we as cyclists, fail to obey the simplist of rules. Come on guys start playing the game and at least have the decency to obey the single most important rule of them all - Stay left of the white line

Many lessons were learnt from this last week-ends event and we look forward to improving the event for 2008.

avoiding the question is a good enough answer for me Wink 

But then again I don't really consider safety and doping "pedantic" issues. Anyway' date=' different strokes .....
[/quote']

Hardly... You see, here I am, arguing about white lines and racing and crossing lines and for the most part having my say because I feel that I'm entitled to voice my opinion and make my voice heard on a forum that encourages such free and open dialogue.

Am I a doper, no.

Can you test me, yes.

Do you want to ask the same question to the elite peleton who also sometimes flagrantly cross the white line?

HELL YEAH!!!

The last time I checked, this was hardly grounds for suspicion of doping. Quite frankly it's tantamount to saying Malcolm Lange crosses white lines, knows it's wrong, but won't publicly denounce the practice... Oh crap, does that mean we can't believe his denial of those pedophilia charges? Confused

Thanks DavidB for a great event.  Unfortunately I think that the character that Pantani is trying to portray (and play devil's advocate for) is quite common amongst the top ranks.  It does not however mean that everyone , or even the majority, thinks like that!  I think that racing in the Cape has improved over the last year, but transgressions like the ones shown in the pictures occasionally happen, especially up Helshoogte for some odd reason.  There are some Hubbers in the pictures posted today and I hope the take it to heart and start cleaning it up from this side.  We need to do it to save cycling, not because it is good for racing, but because it is good for cycling.  I am sure we are going to loose a lot of races if we keep this selfish attitude.

The problem with crossing the white line is not that only you put yourself in a dangerous situation but all the riders within the white line as well.

When a car swerves to avoid poepol on the wrong side of the road he might end up going into the main bunch. So its not just about yourself you are through your idiotic gestures putting other peoples lives at risk' date=' and when you put my life(while abiding to the rules) at risk your a f**king idiot!!!!

Its not just about people at the top its starts on the ground, the guys race for peanuts anyway, but then again you know what they say about monkeys dont you.
[/quote']

Point taken, but does everyone in the Elite peleton feel like this when they cross the white line? Are they sitting there thinking, "Nolan you w**ker, you're putting our lives at risk?"

No Nolan get disqualified for drafting not crossing the white lineLOL

I understand were you come from but Im refering to the Wanabees(Not Wanabee of the hub sorry mate) in the A B C etc groups that really take crazy chances sometimes!! But then again it doesnt really matter were you ride, rules should be enforced  from fun rider to pro and that starts at the top as you have said!!

It is easy to expect the organisers to police the issue and effect disqualifications!! Quite frankly I find this unacceptable. The manpower requirements for an event of this nature are massive and to expect any organiser to lay on even more people to take numbers of every transgressor is totally impossible. In short what we are doing is penalising the organisers because' date=' we as cyclists, fail to obey the simplist of rules. Come on guys start playing the game and at least have the decency to obey the single most important rule of them all - Stay left of the white line
[/quote']

We are taught from a young age to follow the rules and not question

authority. The time comes where everyone breaks out of this and has to

fend for themselves, but are left lost because they don't know how to

govern themselves without any rules. If the VA bunches in the Cape can race on the correct side of the road, albeit with a bolt to the system that got them to sit up and take notice, then I think it should be applied across the board. We need this sort of mass disqualification in Gauteng, well nationwide (nope, not the airline). The point is that it will foster an environment where I police my fellow rider, and collectively the bunch will be governed so to speak...

Hey, I ride where the lead goes, but believe me, if it takes mass disqualifications to force people like myself and other riders in licensed bunches to tow the line then you can rest assured I'll be the guy in the bunch shouting the orders for people to stay on the "left", right! Wink

I understand that it's sad that I relate it in this way, however I'm useless unless I am empowered, something a few mass disqualifications can easily do...

Tell you what: When your sponsor phones you to ask how it went in a race, just tell him you got DQ'd because you rode on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic!  I am sure they will be very impressed and thankful that they decided to sponsor you!  Especially if you just happened to ride past loads of potential customers who angrily tried to avoid you in their cars...

20071203_092248_20071202_130951.JPG

I would've loved being the driver of the Citi...

If I can run down a pedestrian busy jaywalking, imagine the fun I can have with these idiotsEvil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20Smile

And he better not scratch my car...

Just by the way.. getting back to the beginning, somebody took a couple of pics of people on the wrong side of the white line at a race. Then there was a call for these people to be publicly named and shamed, and maybe there are Hubbers who were caught on camera on the wrong side of the white line. I have become embroiled in this argument for the most part to illustrate that it is a very common phenomenon at our races, and it happens throughout the field and needs to be eradicated. My only real issue is that I didn't think it was appropriate to publicly humiliate these people regardless of how stupid their actions were. If it was a picture of a Pro, we would not need to name them, we would already know who they are. Would it be humiliating for them? I doubt it, they probably have lots of untoward things said about them in the media. I don't think that the person who took the pictures intended to cause this ongoing debate and in my opinion they probably feeling condemned for having posted the pictures in the first place. I appreciate the efforts that the people involved in making our roads safer go through, and I hope that i too can become an instrument of change. I however also believe that the people who were snapped in the photo's aren't murders, rapists and common criminals and as such can be handled with a measure of dignity instead of being publicly humiliated...

Pantani2007-12-03 14:29:10