2009 gt sensor 2.0 creaking noise

fatpixi

You're not going to believe this but remove the rear derailleur and brush off the dust from where the derailleur connects with the frame. Finish off with a touch of grease and replace.

Go ahead try it!

interesting...

interesting...

Let me know if it works as I had a similiar experience to yours but I started from the front of the bike and the last thing that I did was the derailleur.

So I'm keen to know what you find!

will be one of 3 things

1) bb

2) pivots

3) derailleur hanger!

My GT Fury began to creak when the suspension compressed and we couldnt find it - redid the bb and pivots like 8 times - then did the hanger and it sorted it out!

Also my Marathon 2.0 and now my Force and Fury all creak after a while from the pivots - they need to be done every 20hours or so of riding.

Enjoy trying to find it! :thumbup:

I had a GT Marathon that I tried to do Sani in, all my training for Sani I had a creak, I put on a new BB, service the pedals, oild my seatpost, ensured the saddle bolts where tight, and on day 2 of Sani I found the problem. I managed to crack the frame and split the frame in two by the headset/crossbar. I have now learnt, if it creaks there could be a very fine crack that will get bigger.

post-6429-0-94589200-1314882223.jpg

will be one of 3 things

1) bb

2) pivots

3) derailleur hanger!

My GT Fury began to creak when the suspension compressed and we couldnt find it - redid the bb and pivots like 8 times - then did the hanger and it sorted it out!

Also my Marathon 2.0 and now my Force and Fury all creak after a while from the pivots - they need to be done every 20hours or so of riding.

Enjoy trying to find it! :thumbup:

With the Force, a culprit there is were the dropouts bolt onto the rear swingarm.

Remove put on some thick grease and then bolt up tightly

With the Force, a culprit there is were the dropouts bolt onto the rear swingarm.

Remove put on some thick grease and then bolt up tightly

is this a general gt problem or do all soft tails have these issues?

I had a GT Marathon that I tried to do Sani in, all my training for Sani I had a creak, I put on a new BB, service the pedals, oild my seatpost, ensured the saddle bolts where tight, and on day 2 of Sani I found the problem. I managed to crack the frame and split the frame in two by the headset/crossbar. I have now learnt, if it creaks there could be a very fine crack that will get bigger.

did you buy this bike 2nd hand or new?

Fatpixi before you jump to any radical conclusions, I would try some of the advice given. I too was convinced that something serious was wrong with my bike (Cannondale) and that's why I started to service things step by step starting at the front of the bike. After each item, I would do a test ride so that I could identify the exact problem area. The more test rides I did without the creak going away the more convinced I was that there was a crack in the frame lurking behind the paint (an illogical thought I know).

Having finished every pivot and bearing I sat looking quite dejectedly at my bike until my wife said to me what about funny thingy with the two wheels hanging down there and I said "don't be silly never!" Only when she left the garage did I remove the dérailleur, saw a little caked and compacted dust on the hanger. I removed the dust and replaced the dérailleur, then tried it out and the creak had reduced, removed it again and put some grease on before replacing, test ride - creak gone!!!! Clever woman my wife!

Here's what I think is happening in my case. Over time the dust gets into the inevitable small gap between the hanger and dérailleur. When you push down on the pedal the tension is increased on the chain and causes dérailleurleur to move ever so slightly and without dust there is no noise but with dust it grinds and creaks.

Anyway the creak recurs every now and then but it's sorted in 30 secs. I can't say for sure that this will solve your problem but what I can guarantee is that feeling that you have when you do find the problem is like finding out that it really is downhill all the way to finish. :clap:

To finish the story I had every intention of not telling my wife that she was right ( these things tend cost you somewhere somehow) but the grin on my face gave it away! :blush:

is this a general gt problem or do all soft tails have these issues?

It is potentially a problem for all bikes that have removable dropouts

like these.

post-3441-0-69473900-1314904358.jpg

got an irritating creaking noise that i want to get rid of, recently stripped regreased and rebuilt, feels like it's coming from the bb...but it's greased up, pivots are greased up too, happens mostly when i stand up to pedal - as the bike sways from side to side (from pedaling) any thoughts?

You say the pivots are greased up. Don't they have cartridge bearings? You can't grease those and the only way to de-creak them is to replace them. Even a reasonably good bearing (rotation wise) can still creak.

got an irritating creaking noise that i want to get rid of, recently stripped regreased and rebuilt, feels like it's coming from the bb...but it's greased up, pivots are greased up too, happens mostly when i stand up to pedal - as the bike sways from side to side (from pedaling) any thoughts?

One method to help pin down where the sound is coming from is to stand next to the bike, apply both brakes hard and then push down with your foot on one of the pedals. Now repeat on the other side. If a creak/crack sound is heard, the problem has to do with the forces exerted on the pedals and by the chain.

If the above happens in your case then there is a good chance it can be the dropout like the others mentioned, but if that doesnt sort out the problem you should also check whether your suspension bolts are tight enough so that there isnt play between the loose cartridge bearings and the frame. Im specifically referring to the 2 main big suspension bolts (one just above the bb the other a bit higher up).

If the bearings can move side to side, then this can create creaking. Also if this isnt attended to soon enough it can cause the socket in the frame in which the loose bearings are seated to become worn so that the bearing is now seated even more loose. Next time you remove the bearings check whether you have to apply some force to get the bearings out (good) or if the bearings just fall out without any effort to get them out (bad).