Securing bikes on carrier

Active Monkey

Hi guys, need some advice please. Normally when we go ride we put the bikes ( wife and mine ) on the back of the pickup however she recently bought a bike rack / carrier that hooks onto the boot of her car with straps that we will use to tqke the bikes allong if we go on holiday in her car. Question is how do i secure the bikes? I know i can lock them but some one can just un clip the rack if we stop some where ?

Those racks r a problem. U cant lock them. I do chain my bike to the rack, but as u say, they can just cut the straps. <_<

well thats why its always a good idea to insure your bikes, i dont have to worry now that i've got a little corsa bakkie, always used to stress about getting rear ended with the bikes on the back or them walking but with insurance it is allot more mind calming

I bought myself a RavX retractable lock, it has a thin cable like a break/gear cable. I loop it around my bike rack and put the combination end inside the boot and close it. Then I lock the bikes to the rack. Not thief proof but at least it is locked. Also great for while the car is parked just with the rack on while busy with a race

http://www.ravx.com/products/locks/combo_x_pocket.html

post-18048-0-09564300-1314780125.png

Hi guys, need some advice please. Normally when we go ride we put the bikes ( wife and mine ) on the back of the pickup however she recently bought a bike rack / carrier that hooks onto the boot of her car with straps that we will use to tqke the bikes allong if we go on holiday in her car. Question is how do i secure the bikes? I know i can lock them but some one can just un clip the rack if we stop some where ?

I do not think there really are a way in your case unless you can loop a long plastic covered chain around and through the bike wheels and lock it somewhere secure like a towbar or part of the chassis. A hassle as you have to remove it before you travel. We d0 that with the tandem when we travel and have to camp.

well thats why its always a good idea to insure your bikes, i dont have to worry now that i've got a little corsa bakkie, always used to stress about getting rear ended with the bikes on the back or them walking but with insurance it is allot more mind calming

Be careful, read your policy/exclusions properly. My previous insurance would only cover my bike if it was either in a locked garage or locked to an immovable object

Go and look at the fine print. They require the bikes to be locked while on the racks, and there must be proof that the locks were broken if a theft occurs.

Go and look at the fine print. They require the bikes to be locked while on the racks, and there must be proof that the locks were broken if a theft occurs.

Yes indeed, cyclesure clause stipulates exactly what you say

It seems that in any theft or burglary situation, you have to break something to make insurance companies happy.

On another note: I used a similar lock to that Rav-X one. The bike was gone within half an hour - and that was inside a building (we found it hidden in the basement).

On a third note: is there no way you can attach a big thick chain to the towbar and around the bikes (then they can't get the rack out either) when you stop somewhere? Run the chain through an old tube so it doesn't scratch.

I got a thin cable that has a plastic coating (came with my first holdfast rack). It loop it through the tow eye at the back of the vehicle.

Bike rack locks onto towbar. Rack has own locks. Cable will go through wheels, sometimes saddle rails as well and I use one of those all weather rubberised round locks. I sometimes now use my Knogg cable. http://www.knog.com.au/gear-locks/ringmaster.phps

Security is not cheap.

Pick up is a "bakkie"

But thanka guys il use that reltractable cable lock idea... On the "bakkie " its easy to lock but like this with the wifes car its a slep.. And jip got insurance yeaterday :)

Be careful, read your policy/exclusions properly. My previous insurance would only cover my bike if it was either in a locked garage or locked to an immovable object

dont worry that was one of the first things i asked before signing, it is covered as long as the rack is SABS approved and the bikes are locked to the carrier.

edit: basically they wont cover you if the only thing stopping a thief stealing your bike is the rubber fastening strap, if its locked to the carrier, by chain cable or what ever and they have to cut that or remove the whole carrier from your car then then you should be covered. as far as i understand

Edited by brad890

What is a "pickup?

Daai aapkop van 'n Jeremy op Topgear noem 'n bakkie 'n pickup.

Pickup is eintlik dit :-

post-24908-0-89767000-1314783322.png

Daai aapkop van 'n Jeremy op Topgear noem 'n bakkie 'n pickup.

Pickup is eintlik dit :-

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: